website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

First night of the 2020 Democratic National Convention tonight. The national convention is where Joe Biden will be officially chosen as the candidate for the Democratic Party. However, there will be a lot of speeches in support of him before. Republicans, Independents, and Moderates have all been lined up to speak in support of him. Notably, the inner war continues between moderates, liberals, and progressives within the Democratic Party. Sanders was the only progressive of note invited to speak over four days, even though progressive candidates have been demolishing moderates in the US House and Senate primaries this year. Not too many true liberals will be speaking either. Biden has made it very clear that he’s running as a center-center candidate. I think that strategy will work this time around, but the battle over the ideological future of the party is just beginning.

The convention started with the national anthem as always. I generally dislike our national anthem, but this rendition is beautiful. 

This was easily the strongest speech tonight.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, konig said:

This Clarin is like the Argentinian version of British 'toilet paper newspapers/sewer magazines' like Daily Mirror I see? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 hours ago, heywoodu said:

This Clarin is like the Argentinian version of British 'toilet paper newspapers/sewer magazines' like Daily Mirror I see? :d 

Haha, sadly is the historical "most popular" newspaper of the country :wacko:

As you know, I’m not very fond of the Democratic Party at the moment. My ideology doesn’t seem to line up with the leaderships at the moment. That said, I have been incredibly heartened by this weeks Democratic National Convention. We have seen powerful speakers line up one after another to make the case for voting for Joe Biden in November. The Democratic Party has framed this vote as a moral choice, and as a vote to save the soul of the country. I’ll be honest in saying that argument has won me over. I’m not biggest fan of Joe Biden. Our politics just simply don’t match on some key issues, but I have come to the decision that I must support his candidacy. Despite what I think about his political ideology and voting record, it has become increasingly clear that he is the right choice. I came to this conclusion after seeing the affect he has had on others. Unlike Trump, he leaves people feeling loved, noticed, and empowered. He is famous for taking public transport to work because he wants to live like a normal American. He has a moral character I can respect, despite his shortcomings and pitfalls. 

The Democratic Party officially nominated him tonight, and while I’m sure his speech was great; I wanted to share a different speech from tonight. The convention has been dominated by Americans having down-to-Earth speeches about how they have been empowered. We’ve seen a dad with ALS campaign for healthcare, a family immigrants share their story of bravery with us, a daughter share with how the decisions Trump made during this pandemic killed her father, we’ve seen a security officer talk about how one positive interaction can make you feel noticed and dignified, we’ve had Billie Eillsh share a message of hope and unity while keeping moral high with her new song, etc. Tonight we were blessed with this speech. As someone who was outcasted in school for their differences, as someone who studies and lives public speaking, and as someone who values the dignity of every life; this was a truly amazing speech to see on national television. It’s absolutely worth a watch in my opinion. It can’t imagine doing a speech like this at that age, while having to deal with a predisposed disadvantage in speech. 

Here’s the speech.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I find it fascinating how nobody seems to talk about Biden's age. If elected for two terms (which is the aim for any president, otherwise you are a failure), he would end his second term at age 86! Even with only one term on his tally, he would still be serving at 82.

I guess Kamala could easily become the first female president, in the most underwhelming fassion possible, but alright...

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, dcro said:

I find it fascinating how nobody seems to talk about Biden's age. If elected for two terms (which is the aim for any president, otherwise you are a failure), he would end his second term at age 86! Even with only one term on his tally, he would still be serving at 82.

I guess Kamala could easily become the first female president, in the most underwhelming fassion possible, but alright...

A lot of people are voting for Biden based on the fact he could die in office.