website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

56 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Such a bad decision :facepalm:

While the other decision would have been rightfully criticized by others. There's really no good solution here, other than the situation of someone else giving up a spot (isn't Norway in trouble in this regard?).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

39 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

While the other decision would have been rightfully criticized by others. There's really no good solution here, other than the situation of someone else giving up a spot (isn't Norway in trouble in this regard?).

Yeah, I answered before I saw the actual footage. She made a big mistake herself. I agree, there's no good solution.

Not sure what will happen. I think a lot of countries need to give up a spot for USA to get a third.

Apparently both Norwegians being outside of the top-8 at the European championships today might grant the USA a 3rd spot (due to Norway having their own strict criteria) and so might save Jackson...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

As long as Mia Manganello-Kilburg qualifies for the Mass Start at the US Olympic trials tomorrow either Bowe or Goetz can give up their spot in the 500m (Both are also qualified for the 1000m and Bowe is also qualified for the 1500m) to Jackson without the US going over their five skater quota limit.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Apparently both Norwegians being outside of the top-8 at the European championships today might grant the USA a 3rd spot (due to Norway having their own strict criteria) and so might save Jackson...

That would be oddly fitting. :p The only American speed skating medal in the last two Olympics came in an event where they lucked out with a reallocatiom.

#banbestmen

13 minutes ago, dcro said:

That would be oddly fitting. :p The only American speed skating medal in the last two Olympics came in an event where they lucked out with a reallocatiom.

I would say that :USA Carlijn Schoutens is in serious contention to be considered the luckiest medalist from the 2018 Olympics, from being born in New Jersey (her parents were there for school and moved back to the Netherlands before she was one), to the US getting a re-location spot in Team Pursuit, to being put in the semi-finals as the US wasn't trying to win the semi anyway and wanted to rest Bowe, to her teamates barely upsetting Canada (they almost had a fall on the last turn) in the bronze medal race.

43 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I would say that :USA Carlijn Schoutens is in serious contention to be considered the luckiest medalist from the 2018 Olympics, from being born in New Jersey (her parents were there for school and moved back to the Netherlands before she was one), to the US getting a re-location spot in Team Pursuit, to being put in the semi-finals as the US wasn't trying to win the semi anyway and wanted to rest Bowe, to her teamates barely upsetting Canada (they almost had a fall on the last turn) in the bronze medal race.

Carlijn Schoutens is an Olympic medalist?! Huh. You learn something every day I guess.

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Carlijn Schoutens is an Olympic medalist?! Huh. You learn something every day I guess.

I thought the same thing about Mia Manganello Kilburg, forgot she was also in the team pursuit in 2018.  And yes, Schoutens skated in the semifinals, so she got a medal

5 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

So this just happened..

Not surprised. A very similar thing happened in Canada after the 2014 Olympic trials. Denny Morrison fell in the 1000m, but Guilmore Junio gave up his spot in the event (he was also qualified in the 500m) so Morrison could compete. Morrison ended up winning a silver medal.