website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Dennis said:

:ESP Nil Llop is definitely not going to Beijing: https://www.rfedh.es/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Comunicado-oficial-de-la-RFEDH-en-relación-a-los-criterios-de-clasificación-para-la-competición-de-patinaje-de-velocidad-de-los-JJOO-2022.pdf

The Spanish Ice Sports Federation had filed an official complaint with regards to the interpretation of the rules (which we here also interpreted differently). I made a rough translation of the document to English. My Spanish isn't perfect, but I think it gets the message across:

Is it clear to anyone how the ISU interprets the qualification rules? I legitimately do not understand how they got the quota and reserve lists they got...

I wish the Spanish federation had gotten the CAS involved just so we could get some clarity. And hey, ISU, hire me to write the qualification criteria next time.

27 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Is it clear to anyone how the ISU interprets the qualification rules? I legitimately do not understand how they got the quota and reserve lists they got...

I wish the Spanish federation had gotten the CAS involved just so we could get some clarity. And hey, ISU, hire me to write the qualification criteria next time.

No, nobody seems to understand. The lists we posted here and what was posted on Wikipedia was all in line with each other. Yet, the ISU interpreted the rules in such a way that nobody but the ISU understands how the list was compiled.

Just now, Dennis said:

No, nobody seems to understand. The lists we posted here and what was posted on Wikipedia was all in line with each other. Yet, the ISU interpreted the rules in such a way that nobody but the ISU understands how the list was compiled.

I think they realized we were heading to over 166 athletes and changed it on a whim

11 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I think they realized we were heading to over 166 athletes and changed it on a whim

The ISU just does not have enough quota spots for speed skating or figure skating (short track could use a little more room but it’s not egregious). That being said, the problem was entirely foreseeable and they could and should have written the document clearly.

14 minutes ago, Dennis said:

I should mention for full disclosure that the list on Wikipedia is of my doing :P

10 minutes ago, NearPup said:

The ISU just does not have enough quota spots for speed skating or figure skating (short track could use a little more room but it’s not egregious). That being said, the problem was entirely foreseeable and they could and should have written the document clearly.

Blame the IOC. I fear for 2026. Women's Nordic Combined (20-25 quotas) plus ski mountaineering (48 quotas) will need to be found.

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Blame the IOC. I fear for 2026. Women's Nordic Combined (20-25 quotas) plus ski mountaineering (48 quotas) will need to be found.

FIS will have to start cutting max quota per event. Still having 4 per nation is extremely generous compared to, well, any other Olympic federation at this point.

#banbestmen

8 minutes ago, intoronto said:

At some point I want to sit down and figure out how many athletes I think are needed for the winger Olympics, but it’a absolutely higher than 2900.

They are likely adding a women’s team event in ski jumping for 2026, too, which will likely require more quotas in that sport too.

9 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Women’s Doubles in Luge (+30-38 quotas)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

At some point I want to sit down and figure out how many athletes I think are needed for the winger Olympics, but it’a absolutely higher than 2900.

They are likely adding a women’s team event in ski jumping for 2026, too, which will likely require more quotas in that sport too.

They could also just cut out the gendered team events in short track and ski jumping to save a few quotas. Could bring max athletes down to 4 per gender for country. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela