website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

So I’ve been talking to my “youth” friends at break, and they want to know why the fuck breakdancing is becoming an Olympic sport. I had multiple kids tell me it’s not a sport, they also hate the inclusion of surfing and skateboarding 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Nate River said:

I feel really bad for the Karate and Softball athletes, but IMO Climbing, Skateboarding and Surfing were the clear top three choice to retain from 2020. They are all extremely unique compared to the current offering of summer sports, cheap to host and have a lot of potential to grow the audience. The winter Olympics have benefited greatly from the addition of non-traditional events like half-pipe, snowboardcross/skicross, slopestyle and big air precisely because it appeals beyond the “core audience” while still clearly being sports that bellong in an event like the Olympics, and I can see climbing, skateboarding and surfing fulfiling a similar role.

No idea what to make of breakdancing, seems like an odd sport. But I actually think it makes more sense than some of the events the IOC has added recently (*cough* 3x3 Basketball *cough*).

Squash not being added *again* is a joke.

Meh. Fine about an event like the cross events, where it's a very clear 'who crosses the line first wins' kind of competition, but especially big air consisted of so much time of nothing happening...couldn't they have waited until for example at least the women's level was worthy of an Olympic event? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 ora fa, bestmen ha scritto:

also the marathon is open for the Public , you can participate without minima :mumble:

not exactly...there will be 2 marathon runs...one with the top athletes (probably in the late afternoon, to close the Games) and one with the amateur/not selected for the Games pro runners in the morning of the last day (basically this one will be the "classic" Paris Marathon you can watch/run every year)...

they just want to combine those 2 events, the elite and the popular one...

Joint statement from WSF and PSA on Paris 2024 Olympic sports proposal

WSF and PSA have met the announcement on the proposed selection of additional sports for the Paris 2024 Olympic Programme with great disappointment.

The proposed list of four sports only [ surfing, climbing, skateboarding and breakdancing ] of which three sports are already confirmed by the IOC on the Tokyo 2020 Olympic programme, leads to a belief that Paris 2024 and the IOC favoured sports already in the Olympic programme, leaving practically no opportunity for other sports.

The unity that our sport enjoys globally is exceptional and is getting stronger by the day.

WSF and PSA are supported by the entire squash community and, with our athletes at the forefront, have run a strong campaign that respected the timeline and the criteria set by Paris 2024 and the IOC.

During the campaign, we showed that squash has a vibrant and real forward-looking programme rooted in constant innovation, which strives for more inclusiveness and sustainability, youth engagement and equality across all of our activities in and outside of the court.

We truly believe squash could seamlessly integrate into the Olympic programme with minimal costs and an optimised pool of participants.

Our unique interactive glass court would allow squash to bring a lot of additional excitement and spectacular action to any iconic monument of the host city or shed a new light on less known urban areas, while also helping to engage young people in the sport from day one of the preparations and well beyond the Olympic Games.

48 minutes ago, phelps said:

Our unique interactive glass court would allow squash to bring a lot of additional excitement and spectacular action to any iconic monument of the host city or shed a new light on less known urban areas, while also helping to engage young people in the sport from day one of the preparations and well beyond the Olympic Games.

They want the glass court to at the same time be a huge spotlight, or how else are they going to 'shed a new light' on a certain area?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

52 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

They want the glass court to at the same time be a huge spotlight, or how else are they going to 'shed a new light' on a certain area?

this decision obviously would have been up to the organizers...

they could have opt for an already famous and iconic landmark (under the Tour Eiffel, for instance...or at the Grand Palais, where the Fencing Worlds were held in 2010) or for a less known urban area, where to shed a "new light"...

it's not that you can have both things, but they offered the local organizers a choice between this 2 situations...

unfortunately, the Fench Olympic Committee did opt for a third idea (the worst of them all, so far...but they could still go further, I'm sure :facepalm::wall:)...the new exclusion of Squash from the Olympic program, also in 2024...:nopompom:

Il y a 2 heures , phelps a déclaré:

unfortunately, the Fench Olympic Committee did opt for a third idea (the worst of them all, so far...but they could still go further, I'm sure :facepalm::wall:)...the new exclusion of Squash from the Olympic program, also in 2024...:nopompom:

Just a side note (as it's the second time I see it), but french NOC had nothing to do with it. It was Organisational Committe (COJO) call (with or without IOC friendly advices...)