website statistics

How Many Medals do You Expect from Your Nation at the Summer Olympic Games 2020? (2019 version)

Hey Guys ! Long time lurker here. I really enjoy reading the forum, and the work done. And I now secretly support Slovakia thanks to @hckosice. :facepalm:

I just want to try this little game for France. I guess Tokyo's Games will be in the tradition of the last three Games ; a lot of medals but nothing spectacular. Recently, there have been a lot of budget cuts for sports in France, and I really don't know what to expect for 2024...

Athletics - 2 to 4. Diniz and Mayer will be favorites in their respective disciplines. And maybe a bit of luck for people like Tavernier or Bigot in Hammer's Throw, one relay, David in Triple/Long Jump, or even Vaillant in 400m Hurdles. Sadly, I think Lavillenie is done. And if Mekhissi Benabbad gets a medal in 3000m Steeple, I would die (in the bad way).

Basketball - 1 to 2. I may be optimistic, but I could see both women's team winning a medal.

Boxing - 1 to 3. So... yeah. Rio was glorious, but now this sport is all over the place. Sofiane Oumiha and Maïva Hamadouche will likely get a medal, but for the rest I don't know. I'm counting on another surprise. :p

Canoeing Slalom - 1. We always bring back a medal in this discipline. More luck with the mens than with the women.

Canoeing Sprint - 2 to 3. The last world championships really were a good surprise, and give me a lot of hope for the next Olympics. Beaumont in K1-200, Bart in C1-1000m, Carré/Hubert in K2-1000m, Guyot/Hostens in K2-500m... A lot of possibilites I think, but not for gold.

BMX - 1. We were expecting 2 or 3 medals in 2016, but didn't get any. :') There are numerous talented riders in the team, both men and women, so I'm hoping for at least one medal !

Cycling Track - 1 to 3. Difficult to predict, the French team is very inconstant. I guess Mathilde Gros and men's team sprint are our biggest chances.

Equestrian - 1. Eventing Team will be one of the favourites, but there are many favourites in this sport (or Germany will sweep everything :d )...

Fencing - 3 to 6. Again, 6 medals is really optimistic, but the potential is here. I'm hoping Gold for the Men's team Epée , maybe the women in sabre, in both team and individual events could also aim for gold. Except for the men's sabre team, France has a chance in every event I think.

Gymnastics Artsitic - 1. I support very strongly Jesus dos Santos, either for the Individual event or for the Floor event.

Handball - 2. It will be short for the supreme titile, but not being on the podium in both events will be a disappointment.

Judo - 3 to 6. It honestly could go either way. It will be either a disaster, or just good Games for French judo. Japon will be on fire of course, but I'm expecting the gold for Clarisse Agbegnenou. I really don't know if Riner could pull a victory in his category, after taking an "off year". Otherwise, many contenders for a medal, mostly for the girls.

Karate - 1. Steven Da Costa certainly. For the others (Heurtault, Philippe, Recchia...), to qualify will already be good. :facepalm:

Modern Pentahlon - 1 to 2. Valentin Prades and Belaud for men, Marie Oteiza and Elodie Clouvel for women. Gold ? maybe. Medals ? I'm hoping.

Rowing - 1. We'll see what will happens at the current world championships, but I'm fairly pessimistic. For the last four years, France's Rowing was drastically improving. But this year was a disaster, the federation taking really odd choices (too many changes in boats' compositions). I predict a medal for the pair Tarantola/Bové who are really talented, but not for the rest, not even current world champions Boucheron/Androdias.

Rugby Sevens - 1. Only if women's team qualify. If they fail... :facepalm:

Sailing - 2 to 5. I'm really not a expert, but France has really good results in Sailing. I'm taking in consideration last World championships for this prediction.

Shooting - 1. Quiquampoix maybe ?

Swimming - 1 to 3. Our Golden age is behind us. Olivier can win a medal in 10km (lol at Muller, good karma :) ). Then, women's team in 4x100 free, Manaudou (if he succeeds his comeback) in 50m free, Aubry in 800m, Lesaffre in 400m medley, or a very little chance for Metella, Bonnet ou Wattel somewhere.

Taekwondo - 1. Between Niaré, Aziez, Blé and mainly Wiet-Hénin, France could collect one medal. Like in canoeing, France always get a medal in Taekwondo.

Tennis - 1 . Mahut/Herbert, maybe ? Their lost in first round in Rio was such an anomaly..

Triathlon - 1 to 2. The Team is two-time world champions, so the title in the Olympics would be a continuity. And Luis for the Individual is a good chance too.

Wrestling - 1. Koumba Larroque, or nothing. She was injured this year, but will recover for 2020.

Other sports - 0 to 2, for the surprise.

Results - 31 to 52.

35 would be great, and 40 the goal.

I am really worried about the number of gold medals. As the Medal Counts in this forum (and congratulations for managing to update this ! ) shows, France regresses year after year. I'm afraid the cournty will end up under 10 gold medals at the end of the year.

2 hours ago, Styrka said:

And I now secretly support Slovakia thanks to @hckosice.

haha, now I´m curious what I did exactly so magical, that it has made you suddenly so interested in our sport ? :d

However, it is mutual, I usually support french athletes because of my strong ties to this country, I lived there for some time. and btw welcome to the forum, great to see nother french user. :)

Il y a 1 heure, hckosice a dit :

haha, now I´m curious what I did exactly so magical, that it has made you suddenly so interested in our sport ? :d

However, it is mutual, I usually support french athletes because of my strong ties to this country, I lived there for some time. and btw welcome to the forum, great to see nother french user. :)

Just your enthusiasm in general, and your introduction of Slovaks athletes / their results. :p

And thank you !! :d

Just now, Styrka said:

Just your enthusiasm in general, and your introduction of Slovaks athletes / their results. :p

And thank you !! :d

haha nice, well. who else will do it if not me :p

Merci beaucoup, btw if I can ask, from which city you are ? I spend some time in Nimes, I worked there and learned a little of your beautiful language. Was an amazing experience, I really wish I would return there in the near future.

19 godzin temu, Styrka napisał:

Athletics - 2 to 4. Diniz and Mayer will be favorites in their respective disciplines. And maybe a bit of luck for people like Tavernier or Bigot in Hammer's Throw, one relay, David in Triple/Long Jump, or even Vaillant in 400m Hurdles. Sadly, I think Lavillenie is done. And if Mekhissi Benabbad gets a medal in 3000m Steeple, I would die (in the bad way).

Tavernier is similar to our Fedorov. She is a good competitor, but I don't think she is throwing over 76 meters. Włodarczyk + Americans + Chinese women are a strong group. In addition, a Frenchwoman and our two Polish women. However, there are three strong favorites on the hurdles, namely Warholm, Benjamin and Samba. They are quick by a second, and that's a lot.

19 godzin temu, Styrka napisał:

Canoeing Sprint - 2 to 3. The last world championships really were a good surprise, and give me a lot of hope for the next Olympics. Beaumont in K1-200, Bart in C1-1000m, Carré/Hubert in K2-1000m, Guyot/Hostens in K2-500m... A lot of possibilites I think, but not for gold.

Bart is a big surprise at the World Championships, just like Kaczor. However, they defeated Brendel and Fuksa. Germany can be very strong next year. I don't see any chance for French women in W2 500 m. 

Il y a 14 heures, hckosice a dit :

haha nice, well. who else will do it if not me :p

Merci beaucoup, btw if I can ask, from which city you are ? I spend some time in Nimes, I worked there and learned a little of your beautiful language. Was an amazing experience, I really wish I would return there in the near future.

I'm at the complet opposite of Nimes, but I will be near Paris soon. :p:(

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay in France !

il y a 12 minutes, Kaileena a dit :

Tavernier is similar to our Fedorov. She is a good competitor, but I don't think she is throwing over 76 meters. Włodarczyk + Americans + Chinese women are a strong group. In addition, a Frenchwoman and our two Polish women. However, there are three strong favorites on the hurdles, namely Warholm, Benjamin and Samba. They are quick by a second, and that's a lot.

Bart is a big surprise at the World Championships, just like Kaczor. However, they defeated Brendel and Fuksa. Germany can be very strong next year. I don't see any chance for French women in W2 500 m. 

Yeah, the field in Hammer's Throw (women and men) is insanely strong ! The thing with Tavernier is she is constant in her results, and we could expect a big throw in the future. Also, since this year, she and her coach did built a throwing area (I don't really know the word in english :P) near her home, which allows her to practice every day. Before that, last year, she was traveling 200km per day to go training because her throwing area was closing... Being an international level thrower in France is, sadly, almost impossible.

For the hurdles, you're right, Warholm/Benjamin/Samba will certainly be unbeatable if they are in good shape, but a man can always dream ! :cool:

I read that Hostens/Guyot will focus on the W2 500m in perspective of the Olympics (which mean maybe giving up the individual), so once again, it gives me some hope !

28 minutes ago, Styrka said:

I worked in Val d'Europe and i stay for a month in Èmerenville. Paris is really a nice city :) Where you will go? :p

Edited by Gianlu33

3 godziny temu, Styrka napisał:

eah, the field in Hammer's Throw (women and men) is insanely strong ! The thing with Tavernier is she is constant in her results, and we could expect a big throw in the future. Also, since this year, she and her coach did built a throwing area (I don't really know the word in english :P) near her home, which allows her to practice every day. Before that, last year, she was traveling 200km per day to go training because her throwing area was closing... Being an international level thrower in France is, sadly, almost impossible.

For the hurdles, you're right, Warholm/Benjamin/Samba will certainly be unbeatable if they are in good shape, but a man can always dream ! :cool:

I read that Hostens/Guyot will focus on the W2 500m in perspective of the Olympics (which mean maybe giving up the individual), so once again, it gives me some hope !

This can be a lot easier for Tavernier. Good conditions are half the battle. On the other hand, there are different fences, the favorite may have a slip-up, stumble or make a technical mistake. You dream of a medal on hurdles, and some of us dream of a medal for 400 meters women. If the Święty who looks very good goes down to 50 seconds is not impossible. She can even run faster. At ME she improved her PB by 0.7 seconds. If she did it again, she is already running for the Olympic medal. Iga Baugmart also announces that she can run around 50 seconds.

For them it is the only sensible decision, because in fours they still have no chance for a medal. However, teams from Hungary, Belarus, Poland, New Zealand (if Lisa sail) look stronger. Maybe the French should try in the sprint?

5 hours ago, Styrka said:

ah ok, cool. I passed by Paris and stayed there for a few days.  it's a really big city. too too big for my taste :d