website statistics

Wrestling Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

According to this (from 2 months ago) it says her career is over (mind you, I used Google translate) https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/7640233

so it's just matter of time to disqualify her officially. it's wiser to give the Nigerian girl the quota and NOT let her wrestle here, her results may affect other wrestlers.  but at least that will be a round robin and not direct elimination.

6 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Alex Szőke won against Balázs Kiss and Erik Szilvássy, he will the one to fight for the Hungarian quota in GR 97 in Sofia. 

kind of interesting to have a trial/qualification for the qualification tournament specially at this period of time. a week after the European OQT.

does it mean if he wins the quota, he will go to Tokyo ? no more trials ?

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

kind of interesting to have a trial/qualification for the qualification tournament specially at this period of time. a week after the European OQT.

does it mean if he wins the quota, he will go to Tokyo ? no more trials ?

That's a good question, I am not sure what's the deal. My guess that there was another trial because he "lost his chance" at the European OQT that he won earlier and he will go to Tokyo if he wins in Sofia. I mean, it would be kinda ridiculous to have a trial for the third time in 6 months. :d

Balázs Kiss will compete at the ECh in April, that's the "prize" for the 2nd place at this trial. I guess this also means that none of the Hungarians competing at the World Qualifier will show up in Warsaw for the ECh. 

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

That's a good question, I am not sure what's the deal. My guess that there was another trial because he "lost his chance" at the European OQT that he won earlier and he will go to Tokyo if he wins in Sofia. I mean, it would be kinda ridiculous to have a trial for the third time in 6 months. :d

Balázs Kiss will compete at the ECh in April, that's the "prize" for the 2nd place at this trial. I guess this also means that none of the Hungarians competing at the World Qualifier will show up in Warsaw for the ECh. 

that makes sense

what about the other guys who won the quota 1.5 years ago ? are they going to Tokyo themselves or there will be trials ? I'm just trying to find out how the team selection system works in other countries. here it's always a huge huge controversy. :d they make it like rocket science to simply pick up a team.

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

that makes sense

what about the other guys who won the quota 1.5 years ago ? are they going to Tokyo themselves or there will be trials ? I'm just trying to find out how the team selection system works in other countries. here it's always a huge huge controversy. :d they make it like rocket science to simply pick up a team.

That's also a good question, I couldn't find anything. My guess is that we automatically bring the wrestlers to Tokyo who won the quotas, but that might just be because it's quite clear that they are the best in their events and nobody wants to challenge them. For example, Korpási would likely be the only one who could put up a real fight against Tamás Lőrincz, but instead he choose to wrestle in 67kg, because that was still an easier task than to challenge Lőrincz. :d

If we will have any trials later, I will share the results here.