website statistics

Swimming at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Never seen such jealousy!  :thankyou:

Jealousy for what? :lol: 

Nothing was expected from the Dutch team here and seeing awesome events is way more important than seeing the same nationality as in one's own passport win things. This is not an awesome event. A mixed event can be good, but make it only the 4x100 free if a mixed is so badly needed, and have a set starting order.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Also absolutely unbelievable US went for Dressel in the 100 free and not a woman. And even worse, also a woman in the breaststroke :facepalm: 

How hard is to count which style for which gender gives you the most advantage? :p Breaststroke should be always for men in the mixed relay?

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Also absolutely unbelievable US went for Dressel in the 100 free and not a woman. And even worse, also a woman in the breaststroke :facepalm: 

It’s like they’d never seen the event before. You have to go with a man on breast stroke and a woman on free!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I guess the combined time for woman breast+man free was less than man breast+women free

15 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I guess the combined time for woman breast+man free was less than man breast+women free

100m breast women: 1:05.0

100m breast men: 59.0

100m free women: 53.0

100m free men: 47.0

W breast + M free = 1:52

M breast + W free = 1:52

Right, in this specific case the difference is tiny :p 

Fastest American man on breast wins as much on the fastest American woman on breast as the fastest American woman on free loses on the fastest American man on free :d 

(In ideal circumstances, there is a bit more space in these times in M breast than in M free)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Always have a man in the breaststroke. This is an unwritten rule. It is the slowest style and most time can be won/lost there.

Not always, the combined time of finals for Dressel/Jacoby was faster than Weitzeil/Andrew (though just barely)

I'd say that countries who are excessively obsessed about the medal table like GB and China have long given this event a huge deal of thought and planning whereas I bet USA and Australia probably first really focused on this event yesterday  

But if this event stays I'm sure it will be different next time 

Yes I know all teams have an eye on the medal table but I'd say some more than others .

Both USA and Australia  don't really do all sports and all events whereas others like China and GB are always looking for low hanging fruit where money  could mean medals 

3 minutes ago, rajiv said:

I'd say that countries who are excessively obsessed about the medal table like GB and China have long given this event a huge deal of thought and planning whereas I bet USA and Australia probably first really focused on this event yesterday  

I dare say no country has a stronger medal table obsession than a country where the biggest media actually changes the way the table is presented (not the usual and official gold first, then silver, then bronze, but total medals first) just to make them look like they're in 1st place when they're actually not.

51 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Jacoby’s goggles popped off, and that basically cost the :USA any chance at a medal. 

I personally think going with Jacoby in the Breast and Dressel in the Free was the correct choice.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela