website statistics

National & International Sports Awards

konig

as we explained many times in the past, in Italy there's no offcial award for the best sportsmen/women of the year...:facepalm:

however, there are quite a few ceremonies trying to make a ranking of the best athletes and events of the year.

the oldest and somehow still the most prestigious prize is the classic Gazzetta Awards, organized by the legendary sports newspaper with the rose pages.

in 2022, the Gazzetta Awards went to:

Best Male Athlete: Marcell Jacobs (Athletics)

Best female Athlete: Benedetta Pilato (Swimming)

Best Team: AC Milan (Soccer)

Most Outstanding Performance: Gregorio Paltrinieri (Swimming), for the Gold Medal in the 1500m Freestyle at the Acquatics World Championships

Breakthrough of the Year: Yemaneberham Crippa (Athletics), for the Gold Medal in the 10,000m at the Athletics European Championships

Paralympian of the Year: Xenia Palazzo (Para-Swimming), 7 medals (4 Gold) at the Para-Swimming World Championships

as usual, more than usual...nobody here gives a crap to Wintersports :facepalm:

and people just can't get Soccer out of their minds...:hairpull:

Edited by phelps

9 minutes ago, phelps said:

as we explained many times in the past, in Italy there's no offcial award for the best sportsmen/women of the year...:facepalm:

however, there are quite a few ceremonies trying to make a ranking of the best athletes and events of the year.

the oldest and somehow still the most prestigious prize is the classic Gazzetta Awards, organized by the legendary sports newspaper with the rose pages.

Most Outstanding Performance: Gregorio Paltrinieri (Swimming), for the Gold Medal in the 1500m Freestyle at the Acquatics World Championships

Breakthrough of the Year: Yemaneberham Crippa (Athletics), for the Gold Medal in the 10,000m at the Athletics European Championships

Paralympian of the Year: Xenia Palazzo (Para-Swimming), 7 medals (4 Gold) at the Para-Swimming World Championships

Wow, these are really horrendous.

by the way, the most qualified opinion in the world of the Italian sport, is surely the specialized website OA Sport.

this is their yearly ranking for 2022 (it's just a single 20-name list, without special categories):

1.Francesco Bagnaia (& Ducati), Motorbike

2.Stefania Constantini & Amos Mosaner, Curling

3.Thomas Ceccon, Swimming

4.Ruggero Tita & Caterina Banti, Sailing

5.Arianna Fontana, Short Track Speedskating

6.Benedetta Pilato, Swimming

7.Gregorio Paltrinieri, Swimming

8.Vito Dell'Aquila, Taekwondo

9.Nicolò Martinenghi, Swimming

10.Sofia Raffaeli, Rhythmic Gymnastics

11.Elena Micheli, Modern Pentathlon

12.Marta Maggetti, Sailing

13.Diana Bacosi, Shotgun Shooting

14.Sofia Goggia, Alpine Skiing

15.Marcell Jacobs, Athletics

16.Gianmarco Tamberi, Athletics

17.Aziz Abbes Mouhiidine, "Olympic" Boxing

18.Filippo Ganna, Cycling

19.Giorgio Minisini, Artistic Swimming

20.Antonino Pizzolato, Weightlifting

2 minutes ago, Matteo92 said:

Wow, these are really horrendous.

yeah, the Gazzetta Awards sucks big time (and basically only 3 sports have been taken into consideration)...:facepalm: :hairpull:

those of OA Sport are way, way better, even if I think Motorsports shouldn't even be considered, Goggia and Ganna are way underestimated and I find a pure scandal that Simone Alessio isn't even in the Top 20

Best 10 athletes 2022 by :CHN Xinhua news agency ( fairly reflected ordinary Chinese sports fans‘ view ) 

• :CHN Gu Ailing, Freestyle Skiing 
  • :ARG Lionel Messi, Football 
  • :NED Irene Schouten, Speed Skating
  • :KEN Eliud Kipchoge, Athletics
  • :SWE Armand Duplantis, Athletics
  • :FRA Karim Benzema, Football
  • :ESP Rafael Nadal, Tennis
  • :USA Katie Ledecky, Swimming
  • :POL Iga Swiatek, Tennis
  • :NED Max Verstappen, Auto Racing

15 hours ago, phelps said:

What did Marcell Jacobs do this year to be the best :d yet he won European title and world indoor title,  but it's Italy that has many world champions that deserved it more I guess 

Edited by thepharoah

1 hour ago, thepharoah said:

What did Marcell Jacobs do this year to be the best :d yet he won European title and world indoor title...

say nothing...:p

1 hour ago, thepharoah said:

...but it's Italy that has many world champions that deserved it more I guess 

yeah, in fact we all said that the OA Sport ranking is way better (even if I'm totally against having Motorsports and their drivers in any sport list, since it's all only about having the best car/motorbike and not about single drivers' skills). ;)

17 hours ago, phelps said:

yeah, the Gazzetta Awards sucks big time (and basically only 3 sports have been taken into consideration)...:facepalm: :hairpull:

those of OA Sport are way, way better, even if I think Motorsports shouldn't even be considered, Goggia and Ganna are way underestimated and I find a pure scandal that Simone Alessio isn't even in the Top 20

Yes, the Oa Sport ones are way better and less populist.

I agree with your objections though, and I also think they are overestimating Bagnaia a bit. He was a deserving champion, but also benefitted immensely from Ducati's superiority.

I find it hard to compare a duo (Mosaner & Constantini) to individuals, but among singles, I think Ceccon would have been the deserving winner among those on the podium.

:HUN nominees

Sportsman of the Year

Liu Shaoang, Short track

Kristóf Milák, Swimming

Áron Szilágyi, Fencing

Sportwoman of the Year

Michelle Gulyás, Modern pentathlon

Zsófia Kovács, Gymnastics

Luca Kozák, Athletics

Team of the Year (in individual sports)

Men's sabre team, Fencing

Bence Nádas & Bálint Kopasz, Canoe Sprint

Women's sabre team, Fencing

Team of the Year (in team sports)

Ferencváros, men's football

Men's football national team

Sopron Basket, women's basketball

Coach of the Year

Attila Bíró, women's water polo national team

Lina & Ákos Bánhidi, short track

Marco Rossi, men's football national team

Parasportman of the Year

Róbert Gelencsér, Athletics

Pál Kiss Péter, Canoe Sprint

Richárd Osváth, Fencing

Parasportwoman of the Year

Zsófia Konkoly, Swimming

Bianka Papp, Swimming

Alexa Szvitacs, Table Tennis

Parasport Team of the Year

Table Tennis mixed pair

Curling mixed pair

Women's team, Fencing

Sportmoment of the Year

The winning goal of Ferencváros against Monaco in Europa Leage

Liu Shaoang wins gold medal at the Winter Games

Kristóf Milák wins gold at the World Champions with a world record

On 12/16/2022 at 9:09 PM, Makedonas said:

2022 Greek shortlists from our "journalists":

Men:

Giannis Antetokounmpo (basketball)

Eleftherios Petrounias (gymnastics)

Miltiadis Tentoglou (athletics - long jump)

Women:

Antigoni Drisbioti (athletics - race walking)

Anna Korakaki (shooting)

Elina Tzengko (athletics - javelin throw)

Team:

Men's National Water Polo Team

Women's National Water Polo Team

Olympiacos Women's Water Polo Team

Coach:

Napoleon Kefalopoulos (athletics- Drisbioti)

Giorgos Pomaski (athletics - Tentoglou)

Theodoros Vlachos (water polo - men's national team)

The winners will be announced on 20 December.

We have the rankings for everyone outside the top 3. Some of these results are ridiculous:

-In the men's category, swimmer Andreas Vazaios finished 5th. He won two gold and two silver medals at the Mediterranean Games. He did not compete at the World Championships, and his best result at the European Championships was 6th in the men's 200 IM. Yet somehow he finished in 5th place in the voting, ahead of Stefanos Tsitsipas (6th), Stefanos Ntouskos (8th), Kostas Tsimikas (11th - won the Champions League with Liverpool even if he didn't always play), as well as others.

-Wrestler Georgios Kougioumtsidis won gold at both the European senior and European U23 Championships this year and is ranked number 5 in his category. He did not get any votes even though a total of 35 men's athletes did.

-In the women's category, fencer Despina Georgiadou is ranked 3 in the world in the women's sabre and won bronze at the World Championships. She was number 32 in the voting results for women. Rower Zoi Fitsiou who won silver at the European Championships also did not get selected.

-Swimmer Anna Ntountounaki finished 6th for women. She won one gold and two silvers at the Mediterranean Games. Her best result at the World Championships was 9th and 5th at the European Championships. Yet somehow she finished above the likes of artistic swimmer Evangelia Platanioti (two medals at World Aquatics Championships), rower Evangelia Anastasiadou (silver at European championships and gold at World U23, also silver at European U23), wrestler Maria Prevolaraki (ranked 2 in the world, won silver at the European Championships and bronze at World Championships), water polo player Eleftheria Plevritou (MVP at European Championships where Greece won silver, also led Olympiacos to the Euro League title), taekwondo's Theopoula Sarvanaki (silver at World Championships), and also Georgiadou and Fitsiou as mentioned.

None of this makes sense. It makes you wonder who is voting and what agendas they have. It seems like the swimmers are extremely overrated...

Georgiadou and Kougioumtsidis got robbed the most IMO. Georgiadou I thought might even be top 3 and instead they put her at 32? With people like Valentini Grammatikopoulou above her? Come on, this is a joke.

Now we have the nominees for the "Gazzetta Awards" which the most popular Greek sports site conducts every year and the fans get to vote to choose:

Men:

Giannis Antetokounmpo (basketball)

Anastasios Bakasetas (football)

Apostolos Christou (swimming)

Georgios Kougioumtsidis (wrestling)

Antonios Papakonstantinou (rowing)

Eleftherios Petrounias (gymnastics)

Miltiadis Tentoglou (athletics - long jump)

Kostas Tsimikas (football)

Stefanos Tsitsipas (tennis)

Aleksandar Vezenkov (basketball)

Odysseas Vlachodimos (football)

Angelos Vlachopoulos (water polo)

These nominations are pretty good. I'm surprised Vezenkov was included because he plays for the Bulgarian national team, though he competes for a Greek club team and has Greek citizenship as well so I guess that is why? Although the Alexandri sisters for example would never be considered as Greeks for these types of awards...

I thought Ntouskos or Gkolomeev could've been included with their European medals instead of Vezenkov but overall this is a good list.

If it were up to me, I would include Ntouskos and exclude Gkolomeev.

Women:

Evangelia Anastasiadou (rowing)

Antigoni Drisbioti (athletics - race walking)

Zoi Fitsiou (rowing)

Despina Georgiadou (fencing)

Theodora Gkountoura (fencing)

Anna Korakaki (shooting)

Anna Ntountounaki (swimming)

Maria Prevolaraki (wrestling)

Maria Sakkari (tennis)

Theopoula Sarvanaki (taekwondo)

Ekaterini Stefanidi (athletics - pole vault)

Elina Tzengko (athletics - javelin throw)

I disagree with some of these. Gkountoura and Ntountounaki have no business being nominated. Gkountoura had an okay year but Georgiadou did better, Gkountoura failed to reach the podium at the World and European Championships. Ntountounaki did not win medals at the European Championships and did not even make a final at the Worlds. By this logic, judoka Elisavet Teltsidou might as well have been nominated, she at least won a Grand Slam despite no World/European medals this year.

Also think Fitsiou is a bit questionable, she won a European silver in a non-Olympic event. Evangelia Platanioti for example won two World Championship medals in solo artistic swimming, perhaps she should've been nominated instead? Olga Papadatou also medaled at the European Championships in boxing but wasn't nominated here.

I also think it's crazy that no women from team sports were included but for the men we had 3 footballers, 2 basketball players and one water polo player. Eleftheria Plevritou was MVP of the European Championships where Greece won silver, and she also led Olympiacos to the Euro League and European Super Cup titles, as well as the domestic trophies as well. She definitely should've been nominated.

I also wouldn't have been opposed to our young rower Styliani Natsioula making it but I guess having three rowers would've been too much, and none of her success was at the women's level. Still, she set a world junior record and won three gold medals in double sculls (World U19 and European U19 with Dalidou and European U23 with Kontou, would've won gold at World U23 if she was able to compete). I guess her mediocre result at the World Championships prevented her from being nominated but still, she is only 17, maybe it's time to make a category for younger athletes...

If it were up to me, I'd include Platanioti and Plevritou and exclude Gkountoura and Ntountounaki, and possibly substitute Papadatou for Fitsiou as well.

Team:

Christina Bourmpou/Evangelia Fragkou (rowing)

Men's National Water Polo Team

Women's National U18 Water Polo Team

Women's National Water Polo Team

Olympiacos Men's Basketball Team

Olympiacos Men's Football Team

Olympiacos Women's Water Polo Team

Panathinaikos Men's Football Team

Panathinaikos Men's Volleyball Team

Panathinaikos Women's Volleyball Team

I'm not sure why we only have 10 nominees here when the other categories have 12 (usually they only have 10 but I guess this year they increased it). Personally I think there are too many club teams. The men's basketball and women's water polo teams for Olympiacos had success in Europe so it makes sense, and even the two football teams due to the popularity of the sport (though our men's national team got no nomination for dominating their Nations League group), but two volleyball teams is a bit much IMO.

I'm glad our U18 women's water polo team got recognition for winning silver at the World Championships, but the U16 men's and U16 women's teams also did the same and didn't get nominated. Also if we're including young teams here then why not the junior women's pair (Elisavet Argyraki and Ioanna Asvesta) who won gold at the World and European U19s, or the junior women's double sculls (Sofia Dalidou and Styliani Natsioula) who also won gold at the World and European U19s with a world record time.

Lastly, I think our women should've gotten credit for winning silver at the World Athletics Race Walking Team Championships.

If it were up to me, I'd remove the two volleyball teams and Panathinaikos football team (maybe keep two of them and increase the amount of nominees to 12), and add the men's national football team, Dalidou/Natsioula, and the women's race walking team. 

They also have nominations for coach, disabled athletes, fair play, and best goal but I'm too lazy to write about them.