website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

3 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

In fact, I fear for my life if he ever gets elected.

Does the president in Brazil have too much power ? I mean for example in Slovakia, the president´s power is very very limited, it´s, honestly, only ceremonial. Yes, sure he can nominate and appoint prime ministers, he is the chief of the Army and has the right to veto any bill and return it to the parliament, but every his decision can be really easily overridden if the parliament decide to pass the bill again a second time.

9 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Nothing about Bolsonaro is funny. Nothing. 5 years ago he was considered a (bad) joke, ranting nonstop about a non-existing communist threat, and now he's very close to becoming the president for the next four years. He's publicly stated he believes (pretty) women should be raped, women should earn less than men, black people and native Brazilians are lazy and should be killed, gay people should die... Basically, he should be jailed for even opening his mouth, but somehow he's running for president and many, many people are ignorant enough to vote for him. In fact, I fear for my life if he ever gets elected.

Now, about the other politicians... Temer is as dirty as one can be. He's currently the illegitimate president after a coup d'état, and that says a lot. In short, the coup happened so he could sell for cheap (I'd say give) our oil to the Americans. Of course there's more to it, but it's too long (and boring) to explain. I'm a professor in a federal institution (basically, federal schools and colleges are usually the best in the country) and we've suffered huge losses of maintenance money, so we're screwed for the next years thanks to this coup.

Haddad is not a bad politician, but he is from a party I sincerely hope will not elect a president in the next 30 years, since we've seen numerous scandals of corruption regarding this party. Haddad has good ideas, but he should never have run for president in the first place.

For what it's worth, I can now confirm 4 more votes for a candidate who is not Bolsonaro :p (which I basically already knew, but always good to hear people you know didn't end up voting for him after all)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 horas atrás, hckosice disse:

Does the president in Brazil have too much power ? I mean for example in Slovakia, the president´s power is very very limited, it´s, honestly, only ceremonial. Yes, sure he can nominate and appoint prime ministers, he is the chief of the Army and has the right to veto any bill and return it to the parliament, but every his decision can be really easily overridden if the parliament decide to pass the bill again a second time.

The problem is not what he can do, but how his ideas make other people do what they do.

Brazil is the most dangerous country in the world for LGBT people to live in. No other country registered such a high rate of crimes against LGBT people, and to top it off, homicide rates are among the highest in the world (and they are the highest in the world when it comes to gay and transgender people). In such a hostile environment, he adds fuel to the hatred against LGBT people. Last week, there was a huge protest on the streets against Bolsonaro, but a number of people in a subway platform chanted "faggots, take care, Bolsonaro will kill your kind". One of the major reasons for people to vote on him is that he promised everybody will be allowed to have a gun. Usually people think this will keep them safe, but in reality we'll have even more people murdering gays, transgenders, lesbians and women (Bolsonaro is also a misogynistic pig, for those who don't know already).  

12 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

The problem is not what he can do, but how his ideas make other people do what they do.

Brazil is the most dangerous country in the world for LGBT people to live in. No other country registered such a high rate of crimes against LGBT people, and to top it off, homicide rates are among the highest in the world (and they are the highest in the world when it comes to gay and transgender people). In such a hostile environment, he adds fuel to the hatred against LGBT people. Last week, there was a huge protest on the streets against Bolsonaro, but a number of people in a subway platform chanted "faggots, take care, Bolsonaro will kill your kind". One of the major reasons for people to vote on him is that he promised everybody will be allowed to have a gun. Usually people think this will keep them safe, but in reality we'll have even more people murdering gays, transgenders, lesbians and women (Bolsonaro is also a misogynistic pig, for those who don't know already).  

Even higher than countries like Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Nigeria and other countries where they have sort of the 'extreme version' of Sharia law?

Everybody being able to have a gun would in theory of course be positive for my biathlete girlfriend, but yeah, having that chance is in no way worth the added danger of everyone having guns.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

28 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I see. Well, hopefully Brazilian people will chose the lesser evil then

3 horas atrás, thiago_simoes disse:

Sometimes I think I've lost hope in the Brazilian.

At first I thought they would vote for this garbage for some reason I did not know, or that I had not tried right. My mistake. I tried to listen to the reasons for voting for Bolsonaro, and I was disappointed, just because he was going to "end up with LGBT people" (Yes, they do not even hide) or allow our citizens to own a gun, because he will "defend the family", But when I ask about Education, Health, Safety, or anything "Bozo" plans for the country, they do not know. Then I realize that Bolsonaro is a ridiculous person, but I know worse people. He's just being a reason for people to practice the hatred they've always wanted.