website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Curious what happens if Wilders does indeed become prime minister, he doesn't strike me as the type who'd be easily willing to overlook the massive Bulgarian fraud by all the people who 'worked' here for a few days, then went back, claimed welfare money for a whole year or so and funneled millions and millions of euros from here to there :p 

Hey, don't blame the people, blame the system. The "welfare" system has been a problem for 10+ years in Western/Nordic Europe. Just get rid of it.

Beside all the flock from Africa / Asia, that comes for it, it cannibalises the workforce from Eastern Europe. Do you know how much damage is done, because of people going there to live on welfare. They don't even have to transfer it here. They just stay in NED doing nothing, instead of being in BG working ...

5 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Hey, don't blame the people, blame the system.

I'd rather blame both. The welfare system in general is more than excellent, especially compared to plenty of countries where even if you physically can't work (sick, injured, whatever), you're out of luck and will have to make do with nearly nothing. The problem with the welfare system is not 'everything', it's mostly the way how easily millions go to certain countries, often by simply spending a week or so working, and then just taking the money and taking a few months vacation until they need to come for the next week of work to finance the next few months :p In terms of helping out the people within who actually need it, it works fairly well. Not great, but...somewhat ok.

But I'd mostly blame the people more who shamelessly abuse it, both people within the country as well as was the case with the Bulgarian gangs (presumably some other countries too, but since it was largely Bulgarians, it's literally mentioned as 'de Bulgarenfraude', which probably doesn't need translation :p 

That all being said, I'm still glad I'm not the one in charge of making the rules, because it is absolutely going to be impossible to find a set of rules that is actually fair for everyone and whichever set of rules one creates, people are going to say it's wrong.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

37 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'd rather blame both. The welfare system in general is more than excellent, especially compared to plenty of countries where even if you physically can't work (sick, injured, whatever), you're out of luck and will have to make do with nearly nothing. The problem with the welfare system is not 'everything', it's mostly the way how easily millions go to certain countries, often by simply spending a week or so working, and then just taking the money and taking a few months vacation until they need to come for the next week of work to finance the next few months :p In terms of helping out the people within who actually need it, it works fairly well. Not great, but...somewhat ok.

But I'd mostly blame the people more who shamelessly abuse it, both people within the country as well as was the case with the Bulgarian gangs (presumably some other countries too, but since it was largely Bulgarians, it's literally mentioned as 'de Bulgarenfraude', which probably doesn't need translation :p 

Had a Bulgarian friend & colleague. His father is a Policeman in :BUL. He was adamant that this was “de Tsiganeurfraude” more than anything.

3 hours ago, Federer91 said:

So, Rutte is (finally) out of the picture in the coming weeks and all of a sudden NED has no issues letting BG in Schengen :roflmao: :roflmao: Two-faced politicians, surely this hasn't happened before.

Wishful thinking.  If Wilders had his way, our country would leave the EU.

46 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Had a Bulgarian friend & colleague. His father is a Policeman in :BUL. He was adamant that this was “de Tsiganeurfraude” more than anything.

Doesn't really matter. Regardless that 80% of such scams are being done by Gypsies & Turks, the people would still say it's being done by "Bulgarians", because that's what their passport says.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

That all being said, I'm still glad I'm not the one in charge of making the rules, because it is absolutely going to be impossible to find a set of rules that is actually fair for everyone and whichever set of rules one creates, people are going to say it's wrong.

Of course i wasn't meaning removing all of it. Work accidents, injuries, sickness, maternity leaves etc. should of course stay. I was talking about all the benefits, when you don't have a job and every immigrants dream of "We will pay until you find a job and settle in", which conveniently goes on for years. Or the case you said about working 1-2-3 months, than going away, because they will continue paying you welfare. People aren't stupid, they wouldn't be crossing half the world, if it wasn't a free giveaway. It's known south to Cape Town, east to India. 

32 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

Wishful thinking.  If Wilders had his way, our country would leave the EU.

Maybe, but this isn't a problem for Bulgaria :d

Everyone knows what's happening. Rutte was scapegoating this issue for years and years, sugarcoating and pleasing his voters to stay in power. Now that he is no longer in power, it doesn't concern him, so he can freely give his "blessing", just to do Wilders dirty. 

If Austria doesn't veto (but they will) Wilders doesn't have a say in it. If Austria vetoes, then next year Wilders can use it for his rhetoric anyway he wishes. 

3 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Beside all the flock from Africa / Asia, that comes for it, it cannibalises the workforce from Eastern Europe. Do you know how much damage is done, because of people going there to live on welfare. They don't even have to transfer it here. They just stay in NED doing nothing, instead of being in BG working ...

Reminds of me of the premise of R.M.N., which I finally had time to watch a few days ago. Easily some of the best written discourse on modern Eastern Europe (even with a somewhat confusing subplot).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela