website statistics

Rowing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

4 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

:GBR an utter embarrassment, only the men’s Four have anything like a real medal chance. 

Funding will get cut - I know there insisting it won’t but it’s inevitable once the British Press tear into all of Team GB that very few sports will survive with their current funding. 

5 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Funding will get cut - I know there insisting it won’t but it’s inevitable once the British Press tear into all of Team GB that very few sports will survive with their current funding. 

Yep. They have spent the last four years complaining about the win at all costs mentality of 2012 & 2016 and it’s all turned to crap.

7 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Yep. They have spent the last four years complaining about the win at all costs mentality of 2012 & 2016 and it’s all turned to crap.

I got banned from another forums for calling out the anti winners. Apparently I was mocking mental health - I’m sorry but if you not mentally able to take anything you shouldn’t be in sport. 

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Number of finals so far:

Netherlands 4

Australia 3

China/Italy/Germany/Poland/USA 2

Ireland/GB/New Zealand 1

If we use prelims times to predict the number of medals:

Netherlands 6

Germany/Romania 4

New Zealand/GB/USA/Poland 3

France/Italy/Canada/Ireland/Australia 2

Norway/Greece/Austria/Lithuania/China/Croatia 1

I think it’s too early to predict medals in the single sculls but it’ll be interesting to see how this stacks up to the final tally

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

It’s odd when you see GB did pretty well at the Europeans in some of the events that now several European Boats have beat them in. Was it a case of peaking too early in the season rather than mental softness 

It's starting to look like it.  Our form in 2018-19 was not good, it looked as if the COVID break had done us some good, but plainly the last two months' preparation has not gone well. 

4 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

It's starting to look like it.  Our form in 2018-19 was not good, it looked as if the COVID break had done us some good, but plainly the last two months' preparation has not gone well. 

And it’s pretty shocking that happened to the Men’s eight who were actually quite good in 2018/2019 compared to many others. Their were at a similar level to the men’s four but the four look so much better compared to them and are still a realistic medal prospect.

2 hours ago, dodge said:

I think it’s too early to predict medals in the single sculls but it’ll be interesting to see how this stacks up to the final tally

Yes, obviously prelims times don't mean much, but i thought it would still be interesting to compare it to the eventual medal count.

I think two conclusions one might still draw is that GB is weaker than usual and that the Netherlands are stronger than usual.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Really hope Bourmpou and Kyridou survive the repechage. They did an amazing job to qualify in the women's pair in 2019 as 18 year olds. It would be a shame to finish in last place. Bourmpou was injured and couldn't train for a few weeks in May/June. I wonder if that impacted them.

They won gold together at everything. World U23, Euro U23, World junior, Euro junior, Youth Olympics. This might be their last event together as both are going to American universities after these Games, and the Kyridou sisters said they want to be in the same boat together in Paris. So I'm not sure what will happen. Bourmpou is only 174cm so maybe she can join a lightweight double with Anastasiadou.

Of course Bourmpou and Kyridou can still compete together at the U23 level next year, and just because the Kyridou sisters say they want to be in the same boat doesn't mean it will happen, it's not their decision at the end of the day to decide who is in what boat for the national team.