website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

4 minutes ago, rybak said:

I hope that none above disciplines won't be added after all, or just 3-4 of them. Such things like BMX flatland, coastal rowing, extreme canoeing and high diving should be reserved only for X Games, not Olympics...

IMO removing/changing "traditional" events isn't good, not mentioning about reducing number of quotas and athletes.

I think the decision is made tomorrow?

2 minutes ago, rybak said:

IMO removing/changing "traditional" events isn't good, not mentioning about reducing number of quotas and athletes.

Right, the IOC has implemented some awful polices. Most of the events added to the last coupes Olympics wouldn’t be bad if:

A) Gender equality was achieved by adding women’s events, without reducing the number of men’s events.

B) Quotas weren’t cut to save costs, instead the IOC made institutional changes to decrease costs, lower corruption, and improve the overall world view of the organization.

C) The IOC made the processes for adding sports/disciplines/events more transparent. 

D) The IOC held IFs accountable for issues like corruption, lack of athlete representation, etc.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Here’s a replay from one of the World Cup stops last year. (Competition starts around 12:00)

BMX Flatland had been around for a while. It’s featured at the Asian Indoor Games, Asian Beach Games, and Southeast Asian Games. I think East Asia/Southeast Asia is where it’s most popular, but there seems to be many European riders as World Cups as well. I’ve only watched Flatland comps/runs a couple of times, so I’m not that familiar with the discipline, so I can’t speak to it much more than that. It’s almost like a cross between urban (park/street) and artistic cycling from the looks of things.

Thanks for that video and explanation. I never heard about this. 

You wrote that this is popular in Asia, it should stay in just Asian Games, shouldn't be added to Olympics. Adding bunch of almost non-existing disciplines to Olympics isn't good idea (like in winter games with women's nordic combined and women's monobob). Actually why women's monobob is added and the men's monobob isn't? This all is so confusing for me.

6 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I think the decision is made tomorrow?

Yes, the IOC EB meets tomorrow, and is scheduled to finalize the sports and event program for Paris 2024 tomorrow.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, rybak said:

You wrote that this is popular in Asia, it should stay in just Asian Games, shouldn't be added to Olympics. Adding bunch of almost non-existing disciplines to Olympics isn't good idea (like in winter games with women's nordic combined and women's monobob). Actually why women's monobob is added and the men's monobob isn't? This all is so confusing for me.

By the way, female drivers in the 2 woman event are also allowed to compete in monobob at the Beijing Olympics so it won't really attract more drivers to the sport as it was supposed to.

4 minutes ago, rybak said:

You wrote that this is popular in Asia, it should stay in just Asian Games

it's not popular in Asia, and it's not in the Asian Games program. only in the minor multi-sport events and almost only whenever Thailand hosts it !

as of today BMX freestyle had never been in the AG program. even Skateboarding only made it to the AG after IOC approved it for Tokyo 2020.

don't blame Asia for IOC's delusions :p

1 minute ago, Dragon said:

Have we got a full  list of all the proposed new events anywhere on this forum?

Yep

On 05/12/2020 at 01:30, Gianlu33 said:

Let's try to do a recap..

Athletics (2): 50km race walking W, cross-country mixed relay

Canoe sprit (2): Canoa extreme

Cycling (1): Mixed relay

Diving (2): High diving [?]

Gymnastics (?): parkour, acrobatic gymnastic, aerobics gymnastics

Hanball (2): Beach handball [X]

Modern Pentathlon (1): Mixed relay

Rowing (2): Costal rowing

Shooting (1): Mixed skeet

Tennis Table (2): Men's and Women's doubles

Taekwondo (1): Mixed event

Wrestling (?): Beach wrestling

Sailing (3) = mixed kite, mixed two person dinghy, mixed two person keelboat offshore

[X] = Rejected

[?] = Not confirm