website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

3 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Let's not pretending that we don't know why Karate is not an allready established olympics sport. This is beacause of 'dancing around with your feet up and not doing much' which translates in Korean as 'Taekwondo'. 

Taekwondo actually translate to “the art of kicking a party punching”. I’m pretty karate is the art of slow foreplay to real fighting.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Or droping it for good as it was only in for political reason in the first place

Taekwondo is sooooo much better than Karate. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, opruh said:

Remove taekwondo too, it's boring. Add more wrestling events.

No, Wrestling definitely has enough events

9 minutes ago, Shravan Kumar said:

Come on man don't just watch a video or a news and say that afghans are into skateboarding.

It didn’t. I read about how the youth (especially girls) have been using to break the social norms there, and then watched a skating documentary that explored the scene in Afghanistan. The Afghan IOC Member (a woman) made a similar argument to mine. You can find people skateboarding in every country. The sports is not ultra expensive, and is established enough. Skateboarding was bound to be added eventually, it would be extremely naive not to have seen that, so why not add it now. People, at least my generation (the target generation of the proposal), seem to be ok with Skateboarding and Sport Climbing. The jury is out on Surfing, and everyone agrees that Breaking has no place in the Olympics right now.

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, I can skateboard anywhere. Kids in Afghanistan are skateboarding, not practicing karate.

Yeah, like the IOC member say, in Kabul they use skateboard (probabily for escape from the various car bombs :p)... Skateboard isn't a sport just like breakdance, let's be serius.

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

People, at least my generation (the target generation of the proposal), seem to be ok with Skateboarding

I think this IOC strategy to attract teenagers can backfire badly...most 2000s kids will find (the sport of) skateboarding ridiculous in a few years' time and since a lot of those kids won't care about more traditional sports, they won't care about the Olympics at all... and then more stupid activities will be added to the Games to target the 2010s generation  and so on. The IOC should try to target teenagers and make them interested in other ways, it's important to keep alive the public perception of the whole Olympics as the pinnacle of sports competition, I feel like more and more people every two years consider them as joke even without the IOC's help.

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The sports is not ultra expensive, and is established enough.

Maybe skateboarding is established as an activity, but as a sport? Until a couple of years ago there were no recognized federations, no official and shared rules, even now World Skate  has to come to an agreement with other organizations to be able to use a few events as olympic qualifiers...not comparable to sport climbing where a regular circuit of competitions organized by a federation has existed for many years.

6 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Yeah, like the IOC member say, in Kabul they use skateboard (probabily for escape from the various car bombs :p)... Skateboard isn't a sport just like breakdance, let's be serius.

No, Skateboarding is a sport, and there are positives for inclusion in the Olympics. It’s not an expensive sport (unless you make it so), it’s participation is near universal, and it is loved by many in my generation so it probably will help some people get more interested in the Olympics 

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

No, Skateboarding is a sport, and there are positives for inclusion in the Olympics. It’s not an expensive sport (unless you make it so), it’s participation is near universal, and it is loved by many in my generation so it probably will help some people get more interested in the Olympics 

Sorry but I don't think there is huge participation from Africa and majority of Asia.