website statistics

Athletics 2016 Discussion Thread

panda

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Maybe this one works outside the Netherlands as well? (I doubt it, but you never know)

http://nos.nl/livestream/2115223-ek-atletiek-ochtendsessie.html

It works with Hola VPN. :p

It looks like they are fixing international live stream, as it seems more stable now.

#banbestmen

Whoever had the idiotic idea to come up with those "I run/jump/throw clean" bibs should be fired immediatly :facepalm:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I love this commercial with Margret Rumat Rumat Hassan so much :hearts:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, dcro said:

What's this, top athletes receive bye from heats? What a joke. What's going to be next, top athletes automatically qualified for finals?

Though basically everyone agrees that this helped getting a very competitive field, since a whole ton of top athletes won't be skipping the Euro's in favour of Olympic preparation now. Of course some do, but less than normal.

Besides, at Olympics the "top athletes" receive bye from qualifying/preliminaries, the only difference is that in that case it's most athletes instead of the top-12. 

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Though basically everyone agrees that this helped getting a very competitive field, since a whole ton of top athletes won't be skipping the Euro's in favour of Olympic preparation now. Of course some do, but less than normal.

Besides, at Olympics the "top athletes" receive bye from qualifying/preliminaries, the only difference is that in that case it's most athletes instead of the top-12. 

At the Olympics only in 100m athletes receive bye. And that's because heats are basically a race for athletes who didn't qualifiy but received wild cards.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

At the Olympics only in 100m athletes receive bye. And that's because heats are basically a race for athletes who didn't qualifiy but received wild cards.

Still I prefer this system than most of the top athletes saying "I have to run three rounds? Forget it, I'll just prepare for the Olympics instead of go to Euro's". I'm pretty sure this rule wasn't introduced one week ago, so if athletes wanted to receive a bye too, they should have run faster. 

By the way, it's the "pre-qualifying round', so in terms of semantics it's slightly different than heats. Top-12 athletes don't have to qualify, similar to what we see in some other sports (ski jumping, to take an example).