website statistics

Athletics 2016 Discussion Thread

panda

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Ah, I thought it was "top-8" OR "sub-3:45" :) 

initially they said so, but then they started to say "top 8 but within a certain distance from the medallists"...

basically, they wanted our athletes to show a certain level of competitivness, which Giupponi failed to give...

but with Italian sport federations you can be sure that no standard is so strict...they will always find the way to adjust things to their favor, if they really want...;)

and the same will happen with swimming...we can be sure that at the end the team will be larger than expected, with some late additions even if the original criteria haven't been matched...

22 minutes ago, phelps said:

initially they said so, but then they started to say "top 8 but within a certain distance from the medallists"...

basically, they wanted our athletes to show a certain level of competitivness, which Giupponi failed to give...

but with Italian sport federations you can be sure that no standard is so strict...they will always find the way to adjust things to their favor, if they really want...;)

and the same will happen with swimming...we can be sure that at the end the team will be larger than expected, with some late additions even if the original criteria haven't been matched...

Those seem like insane selection criteria o.o

Andreas Thorkildsen is now a retired athlete :( 

Such a shame, he had everything going for him in terms of being an awesome athlete: Norwegian, throwing huge distances and for God's sake, his name starts with the name of the one and only God of Thunder :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Andreas Thorkildsen is now a retired athlete :( 

Such a shame, he had everything going for him in terms of being an awesome athlete: Norwegian, throwing huge distances and for God's sake, his name starts with the name of the one and only God of Thunder :bowdown:

Sad news indeed.

One of my absolute favourites! :(

The organizers in Shanghai totally fucked up the start of the 800m, resulting in Bram Som not being able to set the pace and therefore screwing Thijmen Kuper's by far best chance ever to qualify for the Olympics.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The organizers in Shanghai totally fucked up the start of the 800m, resulting in Bram Som not being able to set the pace and therefore screwing Thijmen Kuper's by far best chance ever to qualify for the Olympics.. 

Do you know how much Bram Som gets paid for being a pacemaker?

If I'm not mistaken he has been a pacemaker for quite some time.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Do you know how much Bram Som gets paid for being a pacemaker?

If I'm not mistaken he has been a pacemaker for quite some time.

I have no idea :p

I'm pretty sure he has already made the decision quite a while ago that he simply isn't good enough as a full 800m runner anymore, but he definitely is good enough to be a well-paid pacemaker. If I was him, I'd very much prefer being a well-paid pacemaker than being an athlete who mostly appears in small meets and heats of European championships :d