website statistics

Athletics 2016 Discussion Thread

panda

2 hours ago, vinipereira said:

I don't know... I think there's a good chance of us winning a total of 0 medals, but it wouldn't surprise me if we got a medal in the women's race walking. Maybe we get a medal with Murer but competition is tougher than ever, and her Olympic history is "disastrous" to say the least. Thiago Braz has good marks, but still needs to win a medal in a big competition. Other possibilty is the men's Marathon, not that we are favourite in any way. All in all I'm predicting zero medals in Athletics.

Some small percentages in the women's race walking and men's marathon, a bit bigger percentages in the men's pole vault and a bigger percentage in women's pole vault...all in all I think Brazil should normally at least win one medal :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

...his team "mates" hate him (...) one of them will actually miss the Olympics because his ticket is stolen by a proven and self-confessed EPO-cheat. It's a miracle he didn't attack Schwazer. 

not exactly true...after the disaster at the last World Champs, the Italian federation decided to cancel all the nominees of the male race walkers and announced that the team world championships 2016 had to be considered as one-shot trials for the Rio Olympics (with very strict criteria to earn a spot - top 8 finish or sub-1h20m for the 20km and sub-3h45m for the 50km)...

so, basically Schwazer didn't steal anything to anyone, since only De Luca and Caporaso (both in the 50km) have matched the selection criteria other than him...

and no other Italian race walker has got the required performance in the right moment...so, no complaints are justified by his missed "teammates"...they can only blame themselves...

6 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I agree, Brazil has much better medal chances in mens long jump and mens/womens pole vault. In mens race walking there is no medal chance and on the womens side maybe a very small chance, but i think medals on the womens side will go to China, Czech Republich, Italy or Russia. On the mens side medals should go to China, Japan, France, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Italy or Australia.

don't forget Mexico and Ukraine...they have some chances, too...

1 minute ago, phelps said:

not exactly true...after the disaster at the last World Champs, the Italian federation decided to cancel all the nominees of the male race walkers and announced that the team world championships 2016 had to be considered as one-shot trials for the Rio Olympics (with very strict criteria to earn a spot - top 8 finish or sub-1h20m for the 20km and sub-3h45m for the 50km)...

so, basically Schwazer didn't steal anything to anyone, since only De Luca and Caporaso (both in the 50km) have matched the selection criteria other than him...

and no other Italian race walker has got the required performance in the right moment...so, no complaints are justified by his missed "teammates"...they can only blame themselves...

Top-8 was only for the 20k? 

Well anyway I'd still hate him if I was one of the other Italians, because then finally you win an actual gold medal and what happens? 99% of the race walking community looks at your gold medal with hate because of Schwazer.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, phelps said:

no, in both races...

Didn't Matteo Giupponi finish 8th? :p 

Just now, heywoodu said:

Didn't Matteo Giupponi finish 8th? :p 

but too much outside the required time...at 99.99% he wouldn't have been selected in any case after sunday's race...

however, with the Italian federation you never know...sometimes they are very strict with their decisions, some others they are not...but being the Olympics, I guess that our NOC wouldn't allow any sort of "good intentions"...

1 minute ago, phelps said:

but too much outside the required time...at 99.99% he wouldn't have been selected in any case after sunday's race...

however, with the Italian federation you never know...sometimes they are very strict with their decisions, some others they are not...but being the Olympics, I guess that our NOC wouldn't allow any sort of "good intentions"...

Ah, I thought it was "top-8" OR "sub-3:45" :) 

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well anyway I'd still hate him if I was one of the other Italians, because then finally you win an actual gold medal and what happens? 99% of the race walking community looks at your gold medal with hate because of Schwazer.

well, this is the dominant feeling about him in any case...

but they should think about all their problems, rather than being envious of someone else...