website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Sports Programme

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Some clarity on the alpine combined situation from the FIS.

”FIS has proposed an Alpine Combined Team Event for the 2026 Programme. FIS will work with its stakeholders to determine the best format for the proposed Alpine Combined Team Event and present it to the IOC by April 2023. FIS will propose that the Team Event would be in addition to the traditional Alpine Combined as a replacement to the Alpine Mixed Team Parallel, which will not be on the 2026 Programme due to the travel logistics between the venues.”

lol that really shows how much the FIS cares about this mixed parallel event...

21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Some clarity on the alpine combined situation from the FIS.

”FIS has proposed an Alpine Combined Team Event for the 2026 Programme. FIS will work with its stakeholders to determine the best format for the proposed Alpine Combined Team Event and present it to the IOC by April 2023. FIS will propose that the Team Event would be in addition to the traditional Alpine Combined as a replacement to the Alpine Mixed Team Parallel, which will not be on the 2026 Programme due to the travel logistics between the venues.”

That's insane. The line of common sense needs to be drawn somewhere. Federations can't be allowed to force non existent TBD events onto the program.

#banbestmen

28 minutes ago, dcro said:

That's insane. The line of common sense needs to be drawn somewhere. Federations can't be allowed to force non existent TBD events onto the program.

Yeah remember when sports had to show that their event had worldwide appeal before it got included in the Olympics?

The IOC: "Five out of the seven Olympic Winter IFs had put forward a request for changes from the programme at the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022. "

We know 5 of the 23 was accepted. I am pretty sure curling did not ask for anything new, and hockey is unlikely as well. This means the other 5 IFs asked for events:

Skiing:

The three successful events + mixed team ski cross 

Biathlon:

Single mixed relay

Luge:
Women's doubles

Presumed: Sprint/natural track luge events (6 in total)

Bobsleigh/Skeleton:

Mixed team

Skating:

Team sprint in speed skating (2)

Still missing a few. Any ideas what other events were proposed?

24 minutes ago, intoronto said:

The IOC: "Five out of the seven Olympic Winter IFs had put forward a request for changes from the programme at the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022. "

We know 5 of the 23 was accepted. I am pretty sure curling did not ask for anything new, and hockey is unlikely as well. This means the other 5 IFs asked for events:

Skiing:

Biathlon:

Single mixed relay

Luge:
Women's doubles

Bobsleigh/Skeleton:

Mixed team

Skating:

FIS proposed a mixed parallel slalom event in snowboarding and of course women‘s nordic combined.

22 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Skiing:

Biathlon:

Single mixed relay

Luge:
Women's doubles

Bobsleigh/Skeleton:

Mixed team

Skating:

FIS also put forth Snowboard Mixed Team Parallel Slalom. Luge did not put forward natural track events. I’m pretty sure they only asked for women’s doubles. That’s about the extent of my knowledge though. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

FIS also put forth Snowboard Mixed Team Parallel Slalom. Luge did not put forward natural track events. I’m pretty sure they only asked for women’s doubles. That’s about the extent of my knowledge though. 

I think they proposed sprint event for the three on the program, and presumably the women's doubles as well.

8 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I think they proposed sprint event for the three on the program, and presumably the women's doubles as well.

Their original announcement last year only mentions women’s doubles: https://www.fil-luge.org/en/news/fil-executive-board-applies-with-women-s-doubles-as-new-olympic-event-for-the-olympic-winter-games-milano-cortina-2026

I never heard anything about the spirit events, but they could have pushed for them I suppose :dunno:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela