80. :CPV CPV    0 - 0 - 1

-. :EGY EGY       0 - 0 - 1

-. image.png ROT       0 - 0 - 1

-. :PER PER       0 - 0 - 1

-. image.png SGP       0 - 0 - 1

-. :SVK SVK      0 - 0 - 1

-. :ZAM ZAM     0 - 0 - 1

*Does not include medals won by AIN.

Well. I had my money on China 33.5 Gold , US 38.5 Gold.

So you have to feel that US kinda underperforms in this Olympics. I dont think i will lose my bet, US will end with 40-41 Gold. China 38 Gold. Will probably shade it but wow feels its close, might even lose it as it went to 40.5 for those who bought it late. My original thinking is they should perform better due to Paris times (vs Tokyo).

Australia is the best overperformance, China would be second of these nations. France is way below its gold medal line but beat its medal line.

So, what do you guys think of Countries that over and underperformed?

I have been checked if either Finland or Nigeria have any medal chance left, unfortunately they haven't and for Nigeria it would be first time since London 2012 when they will fail to win any medal.

About Finland it's even worse, as it will be first ever(!!) :yikes::cry: Olympics in both Summer and Winter Olympics combined when they failed to win any medal, their worst peformance of all time was Rio 2016 when they have just one bronze medal and in Tokyo 2021 when they had two bronze medals. Also last time when Finland had +10 medals it was Los Angeles 1984. I'm sorry for all Finnish people, I'm hoping that they will have something in LA 2028 and of course earlier in Cortina 2026.

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Final two days of the Olympics and the battle for top spot on the medal table is as close as ever with both the United States and China tied with 33 medals each. The United States will have the most silvers so China needs to outright win more medals. Lets take a look at the remaining 52 events.

Artistic Swimming - 1 Event

China currently leads the women's duet by 9.5 points. While the sport has had a major judging overhaul, it would be quite shocking for China to miss out in gold.

Athletics - 10 Events

Unsurprisingly, this is the sport with the most remaining events. Fortunately for the United States they are having a great meet. I'd say they are favourites in women's 100m hurdles, and women's 4x400m relay while they have a chance in the men's 800m, men's 5000m, men's 4x400m relay, men's high jump, and women's 1500m. Unfortunately for China I don't see them with any chance for gold.

Basketball - 2 Events

The United States have teams in both finals and they are both the favourites to win.

Boxing - 4 Events

Of the four events, China has a boxer in the women's middleweight final. I'd classify her as the favourite, but Panama will also have a great chance at winning.

Breaking - 1 Event

The United States has the defending champion, but I hesitate to call him the favourite as the event is quite open. China also has a pretty strong breaker and could win gold too. This is one of the few events where China and the United States will be directly at odds for gold.

Canoeing - 3 Events

The United States is the favourite in the women's C1 200m. While China could medal in the event or the women's K1 500m it would be quite surprising for them to win gold.

Cycling - 4 Events

Jennifer Valente is the reigning world champion in the women's omnium and with a team pursuit gold medal she'll be looking to win a second gold medal.

Diving - 1 Event

China current leads the men's 10m platform after the preliminary round with a second athlete in 4th. While this may be their weaker event, relatively speaking it's hard not to call them the favourites.

Football - 1 Event

The United States is in the final of the women's tournament and will be the favourites to win it all.

Golf - 1 Event

Going into the final day, the United States is two off the lead while China is five off. Both will have a chance for gold here.

Gymnastics - 1 Event

While China has a team in the women's rhythmic group all-around final it would be very unlikely for them to win gold.

Handball - 2 Events

China and the United States didn't even qualify to this events let alone compete in the final.

Modern Pentathlon - 2 Events

Neither of them are in the men's final and it is quite unlikely either of them will reach the women's final.

Sport Climbing - 1 Event

The United States has a finalist in the women's combined. Gold would be difficult, but she does have a chance.

Table Tennis - 1 Event

China is the heavy favourite to win the women's team gold.

Taekwondo - 2 Events

Both nations will actually face each other in the men's +80kg. China is also competing in the women's +67kg. With that said, it is quite unlikely either nation will win gold.

Volleyball - 3 Events

The United States is in the women's indoor volleyball final. I feel Italy will be the favourite, but they will have a great chance at winning.

Water Polo - 2 Events

Neither China nor the United States are in the gold medal match in either event.

Weightlifting - 4 Events

China will be the favourites in the men's -102kg and women's +87kg only a fail lift will prevent them from winning gold.

Wrestling - 6 Events

The three events to be decided tomorrow don't have athletes representing either side. The final three events likely favours the United States. In the men's freestyle -65kg you have a world -70kg champion and in the men's freestyle -97kg the United States has Kyle Snyder who I also give a chance.

Here's the breakdown summary:

China

Favourites - 6

Chance - 2

United States

Favourites - 7

Chance - 11

Things look good on paper for the United States as China has relatively fewer chances over the next few days. In China's defense, their favourites are a lot more likely to pan out for them than the United States' so in the event of bad luck China still has a path to finish top of the table.

Nice analysis. Who do you think will finish 3rd?

2 hours ago, Timezone said:

Nice analysis. Who do you think will finish 3rd?

Australia should hang on to third. Japan need to win 3 more golds to overtake which is highly unlikely, France don’t have enough chances either.

GB winning 4 more golds is highly unlikely, they needed KJT to win yesterday

australia also has chances for more gold such as Little, water polo final, although both are unlikely 

Edited by Dkats

6 hours ago, copravolley said:

It's the same with Italy. We took 20x 4th or 5th place here (judo, which means de facto 1st place on the podium). Today alone we took another 5x 4th place. You have to remember, however, that`s no ROC here. They won 71 medals in Tokyo, including 20 gold. Someone had to take those medals from them. Probably most of them the USA and China but other countries also.

Yeah, many countries will have their best Games recently, but in hindsight not having Russia played a big factor. And even in Tokyo Russia weren't competing with their full potential. 

I had mentioned it a few months back, that it was very likely, that the top 10 this year will all have 10+ gold medals, which I'm not sure if it has happened before.

5 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Final two days of the Olympics and the battle for top spot on the medal table is as close as ever with both the United States and China tied with 33 medals each. The United States will have the most silvers so China needs to outright win more medals. Lets take a look at the remaining 52 events.

Artistic Swimming - 1 Event

China currently leads the women's duet by 9.5 points. While the sport has had a major judging overhaul, it would be quite shocking for China to miss out in gold.

Athletics - 10 Events

Unsurprisingly, this is the sport with the most remaining events. Fortunately for the United States they are having a great meet. I'd say they are favourites in women's 100m hurdles, and women's 4x400m relay while they have a chance in the men's 800m, men's 5000m, men's 4x400m relay, men's high jump, and women's 1500m. Unfortunately for China I don't see them with any chance for gold.

Basketball - 2 Events

The United States have teams in both finals and they are both the favourites to win.

Boxing - 4 Events

Of the four events, China has a boxer in the women's middleweight final. I'd classify her as the favourite, but Panama will also have a great chance at winning.

Breaking - 1 Event

The United States has the defending champion, but I hesitate to call him the favourite as the event is quite open. China also has a pretty strong breaker and could win gold too. This is one of the few events where China and the United States will be directly at odds for gold.

Canoeing - 3 Events

The United States is the favourite in the women's C1 200m. While China could medal in the event or the women's K1 500m it would be quite surprising for them to win gold.

Cycling - 4 Events

Jennifer Valente is the reigning world champion in the women's omnium and with a team pursuit gold medal she'll be looking to win a second gold medal.

Diving - 1 Event

China current leads the men's 10m platform after the preliminary round with a second athlete in 4th. While this may be their weaker event, relatively speaking it's hard not to call them the favourites.

Football - 1 Event

The United States is in the final of the women's tournament and will be the favourites to win it all.

Golf - 1 Event

Going into the final day, the United States is two off the lead while China is five off. Both will have a chance for gold here.

Gymnastics - 1 Event

While China has a team in the women's rhythmic group all-around final it would be very unlikely for them to win gold.

Handball - 2 Events

China and the United States didn't even qualify to this events let alone compete in the final.

Modern Pentathlon - 2 Events

Neither of them are in the men's final and it is quite unlikely either of them will reach the women's final.

Sport Climbing - 1 Event

The United States has a finalist in the women's combined. Gold would be difficult, but she does have a chance.

Table Tennis - 1 Event

China is the heavy favourite to win the women's team gold.

Taekwondo - 2 Events

Both nations will actually face each other in the men's +80kg. China is also competing in the women's +67kg. With that said, it is quite unlikely either nation will win gold.

Volleyball - 3 Events

The United States is in the women's indoor volleyball final. I feel Italy will be the favourite, but they will have a great chance at winning.

Water Polo - 2 Events

Neither China nor the United States are in the gold medal match in either event.

Weightlifting - 4 Events

China will be the favourites in the men's -102kg and women's +87kg only a fail lift will prevent them from winning gold.

Wrestling - 6 Events

The three events to be decided tomorrow don't have athletes representing either side. The final three events likely favours the United States. In the men's freestyle -65kg you have a world -70kg champion and in the men's freestyle -97kg the United States has Kyle Snyder who I also give a chance.

Here's the breakdown summary:

China

Favourites - 6

Chance - 2

United States

Favourites - 7

Chance - 11

Things look good on paper for the United States as China has relatively fewer chances over the next few days. In China's defense, their favourites are a lot more likely to pan out for them than the United States' so in the event of bad luck China still has a path to finish top of the table.

This could very likely come down to Golf and Breaking :lol:

Like you said, China has 6 favorites to go to 39 - 2x weightlifting, diving, table tennis, synchro swimming and boxing. ( though with boxing and weightlifting you never know).

US has the 6 in only 2x basketball, canoeing, 2x athletics and 1 wrestling I'd give them for now. And they still have a few more, where it's possible, so they need to severely underperform to not finish first. 

Realistically for China to have a chance, without the unknown events like golf and breaking, the US need to lose 3/4 team finals and get 1 gold in athletics, or 2/2 and nothing in athletics. Or they don't win anything in wrestling, but all of that seems highly unlikely.

Day 14 Update

Right now, at the end of Day 14, we have the following gold medals for the USA, China, and France:

:USA 33 gold medals (+2 compared to the same period at the 2020 Games)

:CHN 33 gold medals (-3 compared to the same period at the 2020 Games)

:FRA 14 gold medals (+7 compared to the same period at the 2020 Games)

This would imply the following total at the end of the 2024 Games:

:USA USA - 41 gold medals

:CHN China - 35 gold medals

:FRA France - 17 gold medals