website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Ceremonies

I wasn't a fan of the Parade of Nations being split into multiple parts. It made the show feel longer than usual. 

That being said, this was very memorable. Not always in a good way, but it will surely be remembered as the most unique Opening Ceremony ever. And not just because of the unique "venue". And honestly, after so many OCs, that in itself is already an achievement.

LA will have a hard time to come up with anything as original as some of the segments here. Especially because some of the themes of this OC were already very progressive and Western, something that would also expect from an OC in California. Not sure how LA can push this any further, but we will see. 

Watched a bit more this morning.  Galloping horse was effective but like everything else went on too long.  Also, as usual all the people commemorated were mere political bloviators & not people who had actually done anything like scientists, inventors, doctors etc etc.

18 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I wasn't a fan of the Parade of Nations being split into multiple parts. It made the show feel longer than usual. 

I think the Parade of Nations is the biggest challenge to pulling off a successful OC. You need to find the balance between showing the athletes, and keeping the pacing tidy. 

Personally, I think having the artistic elements interspersed with the parade of nations is the right way to go. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

36 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Maybe they did it for logistical reasons instead 

If anything they probably should have just split it into 2 parts instead of multiple, like first half of countries come out, then a break before the next 

Would be more watchable 

Edited by Dkats

Something to add to the parade of nations discourse. I’d be inclined to agree with him on this.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Something to add to the parade of nations discourse. I’d be inclined to agree with him on this.

Yeah look at everyone so excited and it's very contagious. Sure in the usual stadium setting athletes are waving and dancing too, but some smaller nations have flagbearers with stiff expression.