women's 4*200m Free Relay

:ISR 7.51.83

:HUN 7.52.92

:TUR 8.01.58

men's 4*200m Free Relay

:LTU 7.08.04

:HUN 7.09.59

:GRE 7.09.73

We are first in the medal table after Day 1! Stop the count!

Really happy for Papastamos! His previous PR was from 2019 as an 18 yo when he won gold at the World Junior Championships with 4:11.93, which was also our men's NR and a world junior record at the time. He struggled a lot with injuries after that and today out of nowhere after 5 years a new PR/NR of 4:10.83! Qualified for Paris too! After Tokyo I thought he could be a medal chance for us in Paris but things didn't go as planned and 10 hours ago it looked like he wouldn't even qualify for Paris, now I think maybe he can at least make the final but let's see, hopefully he hasn't peaked too soon.

Also Giourtzidis 4th in this event with a big PR as well. Good for Greek swimming.

And our men's 4 x 200 free relay winning bronze with the second fastest time in Greek history, NR is 7:09.10 from the same group of guys in Doha this year.

5 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Really happy for Papastamos! His previous PR was from 2019 as an 18 yo when he won gold at the World Junior Championships with 4:11.93, which was also our men's NR and a world junior record at the time. He struggled a lot with injuries after that and today out of nowhere after 5 years a new PR/NR of 4:10.83! Qualified for Paris too! After Tokyo I thought he could be a medal chance for us in Paris but things didn't go as planned and 10 hours ago it looked like he wouldn't even qualify for Paris, now I think maybe he can at least make the final but let's see, hopefully he hasn't peaked too soon.

Also Giourtzidis 4th in this event with a big PR as well. Good for Greek swimming.

And our men's 4 x 200 free relay winning bronze with the second fastest time in Greek history, NR is 7:09.10 from the same group of guys in Doha this year.

I always wondered what happened to him. Thanks for the explanation.

It's a shame the event is in Belgrade this year...this setting (finally an outside championships again!) is truly fantastic! This deserved to be in a better year, not right before the Olympics...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

It's a shame the event is in Belgrade this year...this setting (finally an outside championships again!) is truly fantastic! This deserved to be in a better year, not right before the Olympics...

Agree, huge shame. I'm not as opposed to multiple champs in one year as some, but we saw similar problems - if not quite on the same scale - in the Euro athletics and World indoors. In sports were build and taper are big things (as opposed to the season long slog of cyclng or triathlon, for example) there needs to be a rethink on the timing of Olympic year Euros - hold them toward end of season well after the Olympics and you'll get a better product - sure some Olympicos might miss it, but others will treat it as a lap of honour, and a chance to meet heroes, and others will see it as a redemption opoortunity to rescue the season after Olympic disappointment, or missing them altogether, while also perhaps showcasing some new names for the new Olympic cycle.

It's not only a tapering problem...It's enough to hold the Euros earlier as usual (usually May in Olympic years, sometimes even earlier), I don't know why they are so late this time, they clash with Olympic selection meets (check the previous page) of top countries.

Holding Euros regularly after the Olympics is not a great move for exposure, most people get tired of watching after the big event (+ the football club season starts). 

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

In sports were build and taper are big things (as opposed to the season long slog of cyclng or triathlon, for example)

To be fair, in a sport like cycling one of the biggest things is also building up to certain peaks, basically nobody is strong for months at a time. I've never really believed that swimming for example is so unique in it's specific needs compared to a lot of other sports: you train and rest in certain moments to be good at a chosen moment, basically.

But, we all know that if you hold an event one and a half months before the Olympics, you're gonna get like a D-level field, which is just unfortunate for everyone involved, both organizers and fans.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

23 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

To be fair, in a sport like cycling one of the biggest things is also building up to certain peaks, basically nobody is strong for months at a time. I've never really believed that swimming for example is so unique in it's specific needs compared to a lot of other sports: you train and rest in certain moments to be good at a chosen moment, basically.

But, we all know that if you hold an event one and a half months before the Olympics, you're gonna get like a D-level field, which is just unfortunate for everyone involved, both organizers and fans.

You call Greek swimmers D-level ones? Shame on you.:p:roflmao:

28 minutes ago, Ted said:

You call Greek swimmers D-level ones? Shame on you.:p:roflmao:

Not at all :d 

I meant the average level as a whole, of course there are some strong swimmers there :p