website statistics

Winter Olympic Games French Alps 2030 Sports Programme

37 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Before I react wrongly: you are joking, right? :p 

Talking about events that add nothing at all...(and again, yes, I watch the World Cups and everything, but things like that can stay nicely in the sport-specific World Cups and championships and away from something like the Olympics, just like the biathlon sprint and pursuit should not both be an Olympic medal event and that's a hill I'll gladly die on :p)

Of course I was joking. I don't even understand why these events exist in first place. They are competing at the same exact same tracks as in normal races (of course), but for whatever reason the time only starts to run halfway through. What nonsense.

Edited by EselTheDonkey

Just now, EselTheDonkey said:

Of course I wa sjoking. I don't even understand why these events exist in first place. They are competing at the same exact same tracks as in normal races (of course), but for whatever reason the time only starts to run halway through. What nonsense.

Isn't it, officially, to make the start less important? Which is just weird, because the start is simply an important part of sliding sports, it's like doing the 60 meters in athletics where they start at the usual 100m start, but the time only starts at 40 meters, so you don't lose time with a bad start :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Isn't it, officially, to make the start less important? Which is just weird, because the start is simply an important part of sliding sports, it's like doing the 60 meters in athletics where they start at the usual 100m start, but the time only starts at 40 meters, so you don't lose time with a bad start :lol: 

Gina Lückenkemper likes this.

58 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Right. I would be in favour of also having seperate medal events for the speed skating allround and speed skating sprint classifications :cheer: 

Reveal hidden contents

The speed skating all around competition is older than the sea, not to mention immensely popular, so I am all for it being added as a distinct medal event to future Olympics. 

4 minutes ago, Ted said:

not to mention immensely popular,

In like one country in the world :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Ted said:

Noooo🥺🥺

Well, you know, my country :d

I highly doubt it is somewhat popular anywhere else. Maybe still a tiny bit in Norway, but even there it's not what it was anymore.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Well, you know, my country :d

I highly doubt it is somewhat popular anywhere else. Maybe still a tiny bit in Norway, but even there it's not what it was anymore

Well, I am a notoriously diehard fan of Norwegian winter sports, so this explains it all I think. Can't hide my bias forever.:d

7 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

It's time for the luge sprint events to become olympic. A luge sprint Mixed-Teamrelay wouldn't be a bad idea either. :)

Finally, a (joke) proposal to add events to the Winter Olympics that I actually fully disagree with :D

IOC Press Release 

11th September 2024

The IOC is pleased to announce the addition of the exciting new winter sport of Lugeage (prounounced Lugg-age) to the 2030 Winter Olympics being held in the French Alps. The sport which combines luge and dressage has a cult following in Germany and its alpine neighbours. Horses and riders judged on speed, technique, artistic impression and survival.

In a statement, 1976 Olympic Team Fencing champion and current Weltsportfuhrer Thomas Bach said "It's a mix of balletic precision and high speed action and the only extra expense we expect is the hiring of extra race marshalls with very large shovels if the horses get too excited".

When asked if the sport could be considered dangerous if the sleds went out of control, Bach commented "Don't you think we thought of that before adding it to the programme?"

In unconnected news Thomas Bach is to join the board of the popular Belgian fast food chain, Kortrijk Fried Pony when he steps down from the IOC next years

Edited by Dragon