website statistics

Fencing at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

Our foil fencers are out of shape here. No individual medal, now a defeat in the final. A low win against Japan in 1/2. Too bad. If we win some unexpected gold, then in a moment one of our sure bets will fail, of which we don't have many. So far only Ceccon has fulfilled the role of favorite. Overall, fencing is in big minus, apart from one gold in epee. You can't have a good Olympics in the top 7-8 in the medal table if you only have 2-3 sure-fire gold medalists, and 1 of them fails.

Kiefer just put together a perfect Foil competition. It's still early but if I was an athlete I'd vote her in as the closing flag bearer (knowing Biles has already had that honor in Rio and Ledecky should be in LA for the 1500m)

Women's Foil Team
Final Results

:USA United States

Lee Kiefer

Lauren Scruggs

Maia Mei Weintraub

Jacqueline Dubrovich

:ITA Italy

Arianna Errigo

Francesca Palumbo

Alice Volpi

Martina Favaretto

:JPN Japan

Sera Azuma

Komaki Kikuchi

Yuka Ueno

Karin Miyawaki

Gold Medal Match

:USA United States  45 - 39  Italy :ITA

Bronze Medal Match

:JPN Japan 33 - 32 Canada :CAN

Full Brackets HERE

Congratulations to the USA. They were better in every way. For us, silver is a defeat. In a competition without Russia, this 2nd place is the worst possible for us. On top of that, without an individual medal. I expected more from Cerioni, because Kiefer is great but I thought that at least we had a better team. 

2nd Olympics in a row, when we have much worse results than at the World Championships. Here, basically everyone fails, except for the gold medalists in the team epee women. Women's foil out of shape, men's epee out of shape. I don't believe in the men's team foil. What's the point of dominating the World Championships and then getting beaten at the Olympics. For now, 4 medals is a disaster and a result worse than in Tokyo. Unfortunately, fencing will ruin these games for us. 4 medals without Russia's participation is a disaster.

Edited by copravolley

Only an Italian can lead 25-17 in men's epee and lose. We are the biggest suckers of these games + the worst form in the entire 3-year cycle. The entire staff from sabre and men's epee to be replaced.

The Hungarian epee team is finally fencing as they should. We got two World champions in that team and the third ranked fencer just got a 4th place in the individual tournament. On paper this should be the best team in this discipline. And now we beat 45-30 :KAZ and 45-30 :FRA. Please, let this be our day, we have waited sooo many years for a team gold in fencing. 

Edited by Vektor