website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

If you count Evans' heat time, I believe the medley relay is only about 0.50 out, and with all 4 components having hit the OQT at some point this week I expect that to be entered too. 

Maybe but then that just makes a mockery of the rules really.

I'd say the 4x100 will get the OK to go - Anderson was coming in having done little sprint prep and they got a new national record in Fukuoka.

I am not as confident that the medley goes. Realistically, they're unlikely to medal in the event so that will count against them. However, the collective time posted this week is a second faster than they got in Fukuoka and a half a second faster than they managed in Tokyo. This is going to come down to whether the selectors believe that they can get into the final come Paris. 

8 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I'd say the 4x100 will get the OK to go - Anderson was coming in having done little sprint prep and they got a new national record in Fukuoka.

I am not as confident that the medley goes. Realistically, they're unlikely to medal in the event so that will count against them. However, the collective time posted this week is a second faster than they got in Fukuoka and a half a second faster than they managed in Tokyo. This is going to come down to whether the selectors believe that they can get into the final come Paris. 

And medalled there. It’s hard to say oh they can’t medal a year later. 

Edited by Orangehair43

Based off of tonight I think the following come in as discretionary picks:

Anderson

Okoro

Evans

Bird

Whittle

Wilby

Cox

I believe the first 6 are pretty much safe, but Whittle can count himself lucky. 

In terms of the last spot, I was torn between Cox and Hanlon. But given Cox is a finalist candidate I reckon she'll get the nod over Kara. 

I also think Guy will swim the individual 100 fly in Paris, and only do the 200 free relay. 

57 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Women's relay misses out automatically by 0.08. They'd be stupid not to take it though. 

The issue here is that it involves a minimum of two discretionary picks.

39 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I wonder are we in a situation where they try and put together the women's medley from 'existing resources'...Poor anna's gonna be knackered if she's doing 12 swims, and they'll want her to prioritise mixed medley, I suspect. Freya A's obviously not at her best. However, that was no bad swim in that context, and she probably doesn't need to swim quite as many relays as previously...

3 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I wonder are we in a situation where they try and put together the women's medley from 'existing resources'...Poor anna's gonna be knackered if she's doing 12 swims, and they'll want her to prioritise mixed medley, I suspect. Freya A's obviously not at her best. However, that was no bad swim in that context, and she probably doesn't need to swim quite as many relays as previously...

I think that's where Okara comes in as cover - using her for the heats will gives Hopkin a bit more slack in her schedule. 

So I drew up a draft team earlier today, and from what I saw tonight nothing changed.

Some of this is known, some of it is my guesswork what will happen in Paris event wise:

Men

50 free - Proud and Cohoon

100 free - Richards and Dean

200 free - Richards and Scott

400 free - Bird

1500m free - Jervis

100 back - Morgan and Marshall

200 back - Morgan and Greenbank

100 breast - Peaty and Wilby

100 fly - Litchfield

200IM - Scott and Dean

400IM - Litchfield

Relay extras - Guy, McMillan

Women

50 free - Hopkin

100 free - Hopkin and Anderson

200 free - Wood and Anderson

100 back - Dawson and Harris

200 back - Osrin and Shanahan

100 breast - Evans and Hanlon

100 fly - MacInnes

200 fly - MacInnes and Stephens

200IM - Wood and Colbert

400IM - Colbert and Shanahan

Relay extras - Okaro, Hope

I think they will run all 7 relays.

Toby Robinson could get in the 800 or 1500 but I've not counted him because he'll be there anyway and I doubt he'll risk the pool events given that the open water is after them in the program.

I've made some guesses based on workload and people who I think have FINA OQTs, obviously.

Now to see how wrong I am when the selectors make their announcement this week. :d

Edited by Epic Failure

8 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Toby Robinson could get in the 800 or 1500 but I've not counted him because he'll be there anyway and I doubt he'll risk the pool events given that the open water is after them in the program.

I don't think there is any risk for Robinson in going in the pool - probably no different to a training swim for him - so if he wants to do double up then there shouldn't be any issue. 

14 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

So I drew up a draft team earlier today, and from what I saw tonight nothing changed.

Some of this is known, some of it is my guesswork what will happen in Paris event wise:

Men

50 free - Proud and Cohoon

100 free - Richards and Dean

200 free - Richards and Scott

400 free - Bird

1500m free - Jervis

100 back - Morgan and Marshall

200 back - Morgan and Greenbank

100 breast - Peaty and Wilby

100 fly - Litchfield

200IM - Scott and Dean

400IM - Litchfield

Relay extras - Guy, McMillan

Women

50 free - Hopkin

100 free - Hopkin and Anderson

200 free - Wood and Anderson

100 back - Dawson and Harris

200 back - Osrin and Shanahan

100 breast - Evans and Hanlon

100 fly - MacInnes

200 fly - MacInnes and Stephens

200IM - Wood and Colbert

400IM - Colbert and Shanahan

Relay extras - Okaro, Hope

I think they will run all 7 relays.

I've made some guesses based on workload and people who I think have FINA OQTs, obviously.

Now to see how wrong I am when the selectors make their announcement this week. :d

This looks pretty good to me, they would be silly to not send all 7 relay teams so fingers crossed, do we know when the selectors make their decision? Could it be as soon as tomorrow? Happy for Guy, man always pulls it out the bag when needed the most 

Edited by Olympicsnell