website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

They won’t. If anything they probably want less than 30 for cost reasons. 

I think it very likely we take more than 30 and they ditch this limit.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RussB said:

I think it very likely we take more than 30 and they ditch this limit.

Maybe but depends on if they think any of those extra swimmers might be able to medal in a relay. And that feels like it only aplies to the men’s and mixed.

Edited by Orangehair43

Peaty's 'tache has gone and he means business - 00:58.53 in the heats. Think I am right in saying that is the fastest he has gone since his return.

On a more disappointing note, Freya Colbert confirms she wont swim the 200m Freestyle in Paris even if she gets the standard - her focus is going to be the IM.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Peaty's 'tache has gone and he means business - 00:58.53 in the heats. Think I am right in saying that is the fastest he has gone since his return.

On a more disappointing note, Freya Colbert confirms she wont swim the 200m Freestyle in Paris even if she gets the standard - her focus is going to be the IM.

I'm not 'disappointed' in that, in context. 58.53 in the heat may not be Peaty at his absolute best- that may not return - but it's pretty blooming swift - Gold in this years worlds, and more importantly, silver in last years.

Edited by mpjmcevoy

1 minute ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I'm not 'disappointed' in that, in context. 

The disappointment is purely on the basis that it opens the possibility of another event with no GB representation - particularly if Anderson isn't on the team. Of course, if Colbert wins a medal in the IM, my disappointment will be quickly forgotten :d

54 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The schedule didn’t line up for her if she is going for 200IM 400IM and the freestyle relays. Although making the individual 200IM will be very hard, the workload will still be a lot for her without this and I’m not surprised she is not racing the 200m free individual 

I'd be surprised if they take more than 30. Whatever the rights and wrongs, British Swimming (or Aquatics GB as I suppose we should now call them lol) have been cutthroat. They want to take medal contenders and not much else. With the selection criteria the way that it is, it would have to take some truly outstanding performances from unexpected sources to change their mind.

For anyone interested, a decent morning for the Juniors - already 9 people have posted a time that will get them considered for the Euro Jnrs, including 5 in the 100m breast.

Also, to try and answer some questions raised earlier in the thread - Amelie Blocksidge has not only the Olympics in mind but presumably also the Euro Jnrs. Presumably the 1500m tomorrow will be the main focus but getting solid times in the other events for the Jnrs is sensible planning as a fall back plan if the Olympic plan doesn't work out. She would likely be on the 4x200m team there, so that would explain why she did that event today.

And I have no inside knowledge, but I would be amazed if they didn't take Anderson if she is close to being fit in the summer. Even if it ends up only being as a relay swimmer. And depending what happens this week, there may still be a place in both the 100m/200m free if nobody else beats the time. We'll see.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The disappointment is purely on the basis that it opens the possibility of another event with no GB representation - particularly if Anderson isn't on the team. Of course, if Colbert wins a medal in the IM, my disappointment will be quickly forgotten :d

And also one of the bigger events in terms of prestige. 

Compared to Rio and Tokyo it is going to be more noticeable to the wider public when Brits are not in swimming or Athletics events at all. After two excellent games for swimming where the finals were in the middle of the night they deserve one where the success is in primetime. (As well Beijing as well)) after both Athens and London underwhelmed. 

Edited by Orangehair43