website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Totallympics

2 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Is Israel really gonna win with that boring ass song? :p

Objectively the funniest result is Israel winning the televote in a rout but narrowly finishing second due to the jury vote.

I really want this to happen just to I can cross reference people’s take on the jury this year and last year.

6 hours ago, Makedonas said:

I'm going to address this because I already know people will complain tomorrow if we exchange 12 points (there are rumours that the Greek jury won't give 12 to Cyprus because the song was originally submitted to represent Greece in 2023 and there is some drama, but obviously the tele vote will be 12 points each way).

Unlike Norway-Sweden for example, Greece-Cyprus have the same ethnicity (most people who live in Cyprus are ethnic Greeks aka Greek-Cypriots), language, culture, and music industry. Also, many Greeks from Greece have represented Cyprus in Eurovision, and many Greek-Cypriots have represented Greece. Let's look at Cyprus' recent history in Eurovision:

2024-Silia Kapsis, Australian born to a Greek-Cypriot father and Greek mother from Thessaloniki

2023-Andrew Lambrou, Australian born to a Greek-Cypriot father and Greek mother from Limnos

2022-Andromache, a singer from Greece

2021-Elena Tsagrinou, a singer from Greece who is very famous in Greece (and Cyprus)

2020-Sandro Nicolas, German born to a German-American father and Greek mother from Zakynthos

2019-Tamta, originally from Georgia but lived in Greece most of her life and is a huge star in Greece (and Cyprus)

2018-Eleni Foureira, originally from Albania but lived in Greece most of her life and is a huge star in Greece (and Cyprus)

And Greece had Greek-Cypriots representing us in 2015, 2012, 2011, 2007, 2006...

So it's very different than Sweden and Norway voting for each other. Most Cypriots are Greek and will vote for "mother Greece" naturally, especially with someone like Marina Satti who is very famous in the Greek-speaking world, and most Greeks will vote for our "little sister Cyprus" especially with a singer like Silia Kapsis who maybe isn't very famous in Greece but speaks Greek fluently and her mother is from Thessaloniki.

I could be wrong but I don't think Sweden and Norway have the same music industry as they are completely separate countries with a unique language and ethnic conscience. If you go to Cyprus (not including the illegally occupied northern part) you will see more Greek flags around than Cypriot flags. There is clearly a reason for that which I won't get into here.

I'm sure if for example Belgium sent a singer with a Polish parent who spoke fluent Polish that they would get high points from Poland, and I'm sure if Kosovo had more international recognition and participated in Eurovision then them and Albania would always swap 12 points.

And many countries who normally would give a song like Greece 2024 very high points are not competing this year, like Bulgaria and Romania.

As much as I don't like friendly votings I still understand that most neighbour countries share some culture and Will appreciate similar music.

In the Sweden-Norway example our languages are so similar that we can use our own languages and talk to each other and we Will understand almost everything. Not that it matters very much in Eurovision because it was a long time ago we sent a Swedish song. 

We even have norwegian singers this year :d not sure I like it though. at least Swedish song writers, but we are not alone with that either.

But well we had Swedish citizens winning eurovision for Norway and Greece before also so maybe our time to borrow artists, we Will not win anyway.:d

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Makedonas said:

So it's very different than Sweden and Norway voting for each other. Most Cypriots are Greek and will vote for "mother Greece" naturally, especially with someone like Marina Satti who is very famous in the Greek-speaking world, and most Greeks will vote for our "little sister Cyprus" especially with a singer like Silia Kapsis who maybe isn't very famous in Greece but speaks Greek fluently and her mother is from Thessaloniki.

That does sort of describe one of the main problems with the televoting though :p 

Whether it's political voting, diaspora voting or ethnic voting, it's a certain set of votes which one can basically already fill in beforehand no matter how horrible or amazing the song is. Although I didn't check recent voting results, so I do sort of assume it wasn't actually a 12-point exchange between Cyprus and Greece all the time in reality? :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Apologies, Dov Gil-Har is the harrassing Israeli, a 'journalist', not someone from the Eden Golan team, I assume.

https://www.kan.org.il/content/kan-news/culture/747708/

Doc Gil Har shared that he was pushed by a security guard when he try to talk with Joost, he is annoying at (most) times but I doubt he was the one in this case, I’ve heard about a Swedish photographer that had physical altercation with Joost so until any formal report I guess we will have no idea 

8 minutes ago, Dnl said:

https://www.kan.org.il/content/kan-news/culture/747708/

Doc Gil Har shared that he was pushed by a security guard when he try to talk with Joost, he is annoying at (most) times but I doubt he was the one in this case, I’ve heard about a Swedish photographer that had physical altercation with Joost so until any formal report I guess we will have no idea 

I do hope he was not saying he 'just wanted to talk to Joost'? :d Because he was definitely, as one could say, poking with a knife under the belt to try and provoke. This, the Swedish photographer thing, the thing about IRL/NED/ESP being intimidated by ISR etc are still all just rumours...

EBU is definitely creating a lovely course in crisis management and how not to do it, because they've failed miserably no matter what happened.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Posted (edited)

Rest of the World voting, which was supposed to start over 9 hours ago, was postponed by 2 hours at first and now still hasn't opened, by the way. Looks more and more like this is definitely not just about Joost, but about the big picture.

Edited by heywoodu

Dutch broadcaster NPO has now stated there is another meeting going on between them, EBU and AVROTROS (the Dutch broadcasting channel).

Posted (edited)

Apparently Swedish police has stated there was a threat from Joost towards a TV employee (female, although that shouldn't make a difference of course), no further details, but it would suggest nothing physical happened. Depending on what exactly happened, that'd be rather dumb of course.

I wonder if they're also looking at Israel then, where one of their delegation members (not the singer) apparently posted something about certain people who shouldn't be allowed 'to breath next to us'.

Edited by heywoodu

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Apparently Swedish police has stated there was a threat from Joost towards a TV employee (female, although that shouldn't make a difference of course), no further details, but it would suggest nothing physical happened. Depending on what exactly happened, that'd be rather dumb of course.

I wonder if they're also looking at Israel then, where one of their delegation members (not the singer) apparently posted something about certain people who shouldn't be allowed 'to breath next to us'.

this is getting spicier and spicier.