website statistics

Swimming at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

DaniSRB

1 minute ago, orangeman said:

Welcome!  Yes, Canadian women (and some men!) are doing very well in the pool.  The best part is most of them are still in high school, so the future is looking bright for our program after decades of despair.  

Your team reminds me of Great Britain in 2008 as a swimming team. They didn't win a lot (Rebbecca Adlington being the one that did) but what they did is they went young. They took a long term approach. You will be better in Japan in 2020. Also if you follow the juniors you have a few elite under 16/17 year olds coming through who are ranked in the top couple.

1 minute ago, Syd7 said:

Your team reminds me of Great Britain in 2008 as a swimming team. They didn't win a lot (Rebbecca Adlington being the one that did) but what they did is they went young. They took a long term approach. You will be better in Japan in 2020. Also if you follow the juniors you have a few elite under 16/17 year olds coming through who are ranked in the top couple.

Thank you for the encouragement.  It means a lot from an Aussie, haha.  

1 minute ago, orangeman said:

Thank you for the encouragement.  It means a lot from an Aussie, haha.  

I follow swimming a lot, have worked in swimming for years- I don't anymore as I had some family things go on.

However I know the juniors, you just have to be patient. I have you winning 2 medals this Olympics in the swimming. Watch out in 2020, and especially in 2024.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

It's also not a fact, it's "scoreboard journalism"...looking at stats and stats only. Of course there's no road cyclist or weightlifter or something who has 19 gold medals.. 

Most medals winning Olympian obviously, but greatest? I very much disagree on that. 

Name me someone else who has sustained dominance as long as Phelps

1 hour ago, wpwells said:

Name me someone else who has sustained dominance as long as Phelps

Saori Yoshida in Wrestling. 3 time Olympic champion, 13 time world champion, 4 time Asian Games champion. Going for 4th Olympic title here

Edited by juddy96

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Syd7:

I think Canada also has a british coach who coached for example Halsall previously, but i dont agree with your comparison. GB was also very good on the mens side, Canada doesnt have any medal contenders on the mens side. They dont have any chance to make the final in mens 50/200 free, 100/200 breast, 100/200 back, 100/200 fly or 200 IM. In the end Cochrane, Condorelli and maybe Acevedo are their only decent swimmers on the mens side. Cochrane wont get much better until 2020 and Condorelli is a product of the american system, his development doesnt have much to do with Canada. On the womens side they look fantastic. Masse, McLean, Oleksiak and Ruck could be medal contenders very soon (or they already are). Oleksiak reminds me a lot of Franklin when she was younger and people also thought that Franklin would have a great future ahead of her, so you cant be sure where Oleksiak will be in 2020. I think canadian fans should be really happy that everything turned out perfectly for them in Rio so far, i guess no one expected that they would have 2 medals by now. I am also wondering how much it helps them that the brazilian time zone is pretty close to their own (time zones), while athletes from most other countries have to adapt to a completely new time zone.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, juddy96 said:

Saori Yoshida in Wrestling. 3 time Olympic champion, 13 time world champion, 4 time Asian Games champion. Going for 4th Olympic title here

Not to be disrespectful to Yoshida, but how many in women in the World do wrestling comparing to how many men do swimming? To me it's like suggesting that Isinbayeva is the greatest track and field athlete ever because she set so many WRs in an event that only started to exist.

Someone like Bolt should be comparable, at least if he wins another gold here.

#banbestmen

Phelps is here to play, like if anyone had any doubts lol :lol: Could win everything once again, though i feel deep inside that Czeh will finally get a win over him after so many years. :) Adrian and McEvoy also showed great form and it will be a cracker final in the 100 for the gold. Two days in and not many surprises in the pool. Horton over Sun was the only minor surprise and all other favourites are winning their disciplines. Things will shake a bit today with the backs and womens breast. Efimova looked very relaxed, so you guys should be worried :d, tho i wouldn't count King out yet, she could very well explode like in the nationals.