website statistics

Proposals for Continental Olympic Qualifications

Olympian1010

1 minute ago, Gianlu33 said:

It's a bit hard to explain in English for me, I don't know the good translation for the technical words. "Artistic swimming" give more important to the artistic segment and he become more similar to acrobatic gymnastic than the currently form of synchronised swimming (like the highlight routine, how bad it is..)

Right, but what I’m saying is that the artistic score is the most important under the current scoring system, so it makes sense. The synchronization score actually isn’t that big. I love Artistic Swim (or whatever you wish to call it), but it is one of the few sports that I think of as more of an art form than a sport. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

This system will give less quota to developed sporting country, and this will strongly penalize Europe (and North America). A lot of top athletes will miss the Olympics only becouse some people thinks that small country have the rights to compete in EVERY sport. For me the actually systems is pretty good, they only should reduce the continental quotas. Olympics are for the best athletes, I think that we agree about it.

Under the system I proposed, the higher tiers would get more quotas, so Europe would be fine. We might actually have more competitive fields that way, and it would be easier to give quotas to nations that deserve them. 

Personally, I’ve always thought Europe has too many quotas, and it discourages the growth of many sports (canoe, handball, modern pentathlon, etc.). The Olympics are for the best in the world, emphasis on the “the world”. I agree that competitions should be of the highest quality, but we should also get to see the Pita’s, Shiva’s, and Eddy’s of the world. 

I actually think that the IOC is moving in the right direction in a lot of places with this. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but what I’m saying is that the artistic score is the most important under the current scoring system, so it makes sense. The synchronization score actually isn’t that big. I love Artistic Swim (or whatever you wish to call it), but it is one of the few sports that I think of as more of an art form than a sport. 

Synchronized swimming is really technical, artistic score isn't too big. If you do a little mistake, like some country do with barracuda at past world championship they are strongly penalize. If they doesn't have a good artistic form it's doesn't matter (i encourage you to see the difference between Spanish routines - especially Carbonell routine - and the Ukrainian/Chinese routines)

Just now, Gianlu33 said:

Synchronized swimming is really technical, artistic score isn't too big. If you do a little mistake, like some country do with barracuda at past world championship they are strongly penalize. If they doesn't have a good artistic form it's doesn't matter (i encourage you to see the difference between Spanish routines - especially Carbonell routine - and the Ukrainian/Chinese routines)

I know swimmers who’ve repeatedly told me that “The wrong song choice and choreography will kill your score”. Technical mistakes are punished since it’s the second biggest chunk of the total score. Synchronization is like the third or fourth biggest part under the current system. 

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I know swimmers who’ve repeatedly told me that “The wrong song choice and choreography will kill your score”. Technical mistakes are punished since it’s the second biggest chunk of the total score. Synchronization is like the third or fourth biggest part under the current system. 

This is not true. From FIN rules:

• Technically routine: 50% execution, 50% general impression
  • Free routine: 50% technical execution, 50% artistic impression

I'd prefer to merge Oceania with Asia and have only 4 regions (with only one America). For team sports, one place for every continent and the rest to be decided in global tournaments (held after the continental ones). For individual sports, continental places to be granted only if there is someone in the top x of the ranking. The majority of African and Oceanians NOCs don't care about most sports anyway, giving them free spots would make sense only as a form of encouragement if there was a growing trend of participation.

You can't expect new regions to emerge without giving them encouragement in form of Olympic quota places. :finger: Any such views are pro-(European)-establishment.

Just as an example, :JPN Takuya Haneda and :NZL Luuka Jones qualified through continental qualifiers in 2008 (Jones essentially got a free quota and finished last). Nevertheless, they both won first canoe slalom medals for their nation in 2016.

#banbestmen

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Wouldn’t less nations benefit India? 

India really shouldn't need this kind of juggling around to qualify a good number of athletes :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I totally agree. It's already pretty bad as is with many weak nations earning free passes, especially in individual sports. I would award universal places in athletics and swimming for most (probably all) nations and severely restrict the number of invitational places in other sports. And I am not favorable to any invitational place in team sports. I don't want to watch a match in football where New Zealand loses 8 to 0. I have better things to do with my life.

Like just not watching it at all? While I agree with your point, it's the Olympics...we've got a billion other things we can watch that we do find interesting.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

India really shouldn't need this kind of juggling around to qualify a good number of athletes :p 

Fully agree. I was checking Indian contingent at Rio and found that around 85% of our athletes were qualified through global tournaments. This time around also, I expect the bulk of the contingent to come through global standards only. Continental places are useful to get those extra shooters through or to chase the historic Fencing qualification.