website statistics

Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympic Games 2016 News

vor 4 Stunden schrieb zob79:

It depends on your country; in mine, golf or snowboard have almost zero fan base. I did a bit of traveling in my life...never encountered fans of golf, snowboard, synchronized swimming, rapid water canoeing and such "sports" but I'm sure it's my fault, I didn't travel in the open minded, cool, pokemon world. 

I dont know how many fans each sport actually has, but why not simply look at the amount of money in each sport?

Snowboard (for example X games), golf (masters and ryder cup) or rugby (world cup) attract thousands of people and stars in those sports can earn good money, on the other hand even the best athletes in sports like canoeing or modern pentathlon probably cant even earn their living with it. Shaun White or Tiger Woods have earned millions of dollars in their life already, i am sure that this is impossible in about 3/4 of all other olympic sports.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I dont know how many fans each sport actually has, but why not simply look at the amount of money in each sport?

Snowboard (for example X games), golf (masters and ryder cup) or rugby (world cup) attract thousands of people and stars in those sports can earn good money, on the other hand even the best athletes in sports like canoeing or modern pentathlon probably cant even earn their living with it. Shaun White or Tiger Woods have earned millions of dollars in their life already, i am sure that this is impossible in about 3/4 of all other olympic sports.

It's a good post, but I think you're missing the fact that he market isn't homogeneous; those figures you're quoting come mostly from the western market, but there are huge geographical areas in which those sports are not even practiced. Let's take rugby, for example; it isn't played in almost entire Africa and Asia; and if that's the case of rugby, imagine how snowboard or golf stand. 

Also we need to consider that not all sports disciplines have a well developed market; I will illustrate this with an example from my country: wrestling is a popular sport in Romania, but there are very few domestic competitions (often with free entrance) so total turnover is small. On the other hand, figure skating is not so popular sport, but when some shows (eg the Evgeny Pluskin exhibition) are organised here, people come (social reasons/snobs etc) and the incomes are pretty significant. Thus, the less popular sport makes more money.

I guess the TV ratings of Olympics are a good tool for our debate; let's wait'em and we will talk some more

36 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Athletes from Team Brazil arriving at the Village:

I am not familiar with the hockey players, but the one on the upper left corner really must be one of the Dutch guys in the team judging by his Dutch face :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I am not familiar with the hockey players, but the one on the upper left corner really must be one of the Dutch guys in the team judging by his Dutch face :d

And how do you distinguish the Dutch face? :lol:

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

And how do you distinguish the Dutch face? :lol:

I don't know how to explain :lol:

Same thing when on vacation in Austria or something...you see someone walking and you know, hey, that couple is Dutch :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!