website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Medal Predictions Road to Paris 2024

44 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Gracenote predictions are usually good but they do have some weaknesses.

They underestimate good performances by sportspeople breaking through to top level competition at a young age and, where certain parts of the world have a big advantage over other continents, they rely too much on older global results over newer continental results

They also have always seemed very analytical to me, with little regard for the small nuances of sport.

Their 1500m prediction is a classic example of that - they are predicting Jakob for gold (presumably), based on a mix of the last Olympics and his fast times on the circuit.

But the last 2 WCs have obviously been won by Brits, beating him in essentially the same way.

I wouldn't personally be making him favourite for Gold right now. Statistically, sure. But not on nuance.

Then there's things like British Cycling's tactics about Olympics - which has been consistent since about 2009! They tend to dip somewhat in non-Olympic years and then bring out their super round wheels for the Games.

6 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

:NZL Medal Projection 100 days out from Paris:

Gold Medalists:

Lisa Carrington - Canoe Sprint K1 500m

Ellesse Andrews - Track Cycling Keirin

Men's Rugby Sevens

Women's Rugby Sevens

Silver Medalists:

Canoe Sprint - Women's K4 500m 

Emma Twigg - Rowing Single Sculls

Erika Fairweather - Swimming 400m Freestyle

Lewis Clareburt - Swimming 400m Individual Medley

Bronze Medalists:

Tom Walsh - Shot Put

Track Cycling Women's Team Pursuit

Dylan Schmidt - Trampoline

Pretty fair reflection on NZs past championship results. But I guess what gracenote can't forsee is in rowing in particular NZ will be welcoming back 10 olympic medalists from the US College system back into the scene, and have substantially already bolstered quite a number of crews. Im expecting at least 4 medals from the womens canoe sprint squad. Emma Fairweather would be lucky to medal at the Olympics, same with Dylan Schmidt. Not convinced about men's team winning 7s gold. Cycling for NZ is too hit and miss who knows what they'll do.

16 minutes ago, Joshi said:

Pretty fair reflection on NZs past championship results. But I guess what gracenote can't forsee is in rowing in particular NZ will be welcoming back 10 olympic medalists from the US College system back into the scene, and have substantially already bolstered quite a number of crews. Im expecting at least 4 medals from the womens canoe sprint squad. Emma Fairweather would be lucky to medal at the Olympics, same with Dylan Schmidt. Not convinced about men's team winning 7s gold. Cycling for NZ is too hit and miss who knows what they'll do.

I'd be surprised if New Zealand got a big boost in the rowing but we won't really know what their form is like until we get to the Lucerne World Cup next month.

The big surprise from my perspective, was in track cycling and the women's team pursuit down in silver. Given they've been the only nation that has shown consistent ability to take the challenge to GB, I'd have expected them to be either projected for gold or silver. 

Their medal predications for :IRL 

Gold

McCarthy/O’Donovan - Lightweight double sculls Rowing

Rhys McClenaghan - pommel gymnastics 

Silver

Daniel Wiffen - 800m free swimming

Cian O’Connor - showjumping

Kelly Harrington - 60kg boxing

Bronze

Daniel Wiffen - 1500m free swimming

Rory McIlroy - golf

6 hours ago, AlexMunegu59 said:

:FRA Gold Medal Projection 100 days out from Paris

Basketball 3x3 : Équipe féminine
Skateboard : Vincent Milou (street hommes)
Natation : Maxime Grousset (100 m papillon hommes)

First point, I hope not :(

In men’s street, Milou isn’t even favoured over his compatriot Giraud.

For Grousset, it depends on Dressel/Milak, and if they’re back at their Tokyo 2020 form. Right now, the latter are probably favoured with the solid in season times they’ve been putting up recently. 

Everything else I agree with. 

30 minutes ago, Josh said:

First point, I hope not :(

In men’s street, Milou isn’t even favoured over his compatriot Giraud.

For Grousset, it depends on Dressel/Milak, and if they’re back at their Tokyo 2020 form. Right now, the latter are probably favoured with the solid in season times they’ve been putting up recently. 

Everything else I agree with. 

:SUI Ponti is going to outswim all of them :p

59 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I'd be surprised if New Zealand got a big boost in the rowing but we won't really know what their form is like until we get to the Lucerne World Cup next month.

The big surprise from my perspective, was in track cycling and the women's team pursuit down in silver. Given they've been the only nation that has shown consistent ability to take the challenge to GB, I'd have expected them to be either projected for gold or silver. 

Well NZ has had famines in the last few olympics in cycling considering the amount of talent they have. But must say we haven't come across so much talent particularly in women's endurance before. But I still lack confidence in them because just like rowing you can't gauge anything on past performance unless you were Hamish Bond and Eric Murray who practically forced out rival athletes from other nations to seek other boats. Because the gold was literally there's already.

Gracenote Medal Predictions for :CAN Canada (partial) 

Gold:

• Summer McIntosh - Swimming - W 400m Individual Medley
  • Summer McIntosh - Swimming - W 200m Butterfly
  • Marco Arop - Athletics - M 800m
  • Pierce Lepage - Athletics - Decathlon
  • Christa Deguchi - Judo - W 57kg
  • Phil Wizard - Breaking - B-Boys

Silver:

• Katie Vincent - Canoe Sprint - W C-1 200m
  • Canada - Canoe Sprint - W C-2 500m
  • Damian Warner - Athletics - Decathlon
  • Camryn Rogers - Athletics - W Hammer Throw