website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Medal Predictions Road to Paris 2024

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Usually 7-8 golds are enough for top 10 in the medal table, but with Russia having almost no participation, the threshold could rise to 10 golds. 

Perhaps, but there's a considerable drop from the top 9. The tenth rank nation could have 10+ fewer total medals than the 9th rank. Unless they get lucky with golds they will struggle to break double digits.

3 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

My bad!! Tony Roberts. Climber

Yeah I wouldn't have got that any time soon - and unfortunately now all I keep hearing in my mind is the guy from Only Fools and Horses shouting "Gary!" :wall:(That reference will mean nothing to a lot of international posters)

• 1 month later...

Was so distracted by random boxing federation Facebook pages that I missed the latest update to the Gracenote prediction.

:IOC Nielsen's Gracenote Virtual Medal Table - February 2024 :IOC

NOC Gold Silver Bronze Total Change Since Last Release
:USA 37 37 47 121 Drops 8 medals in total with 9 fewer silver medals being offset by 1 additional bronze. At 121, this is the lowest number of medals projected since the table was initiated.
:CHN 37 28 22 85 No change in the total number of medals but it does include 2 additional gold medals. 
:FRA 27 14 11 52 Down 1 medal overall but Gold increase by 1
:NED 17 9 13 39 An increase of 4 medals in total including 1 gold and 3 Bronze medals. Sees NED moving up to 4th in the table from 6th last month.
:GBR 16 24 25 65 Up 1 medal overall but total number of Gold drops by 1 which is offset by 2 additional Silver medals. 
:JPN 15 17 24 53 Drops 3 medals overall as few bronze medals are won. 2 Golds are downgraded to Silver.
:ITA 14 16 17 47 No change in the overall number of medals but team projected to win 1 additional Gold and 4 Silver.
:GER 9 15 19 43 Gains 4 medals in total but 1 Gold is downgraded to Silver. 
:BRA 9 2 7 18 Small overall volume (would be ranked 13th by volume) moves into the top 10 by virtue of the fact that half of their projected medals are Gold
:AUS 8 21 17 46 The biggest shift in the projection this month - although the overall total is down just 2, It's 7 fewer Golds with 4 downgraded to Silver.  

Huge caveat here - I think it is safe to assume that the projection has been heavily impacted by the results of the Doha World Aquatic Championships hence the big drop in the :AUS Gold volume which is unlikely to be the case when we get to Paris. 

17 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Was so distracted by random boxing federation Facebook pages that I missed the latest update to the Gracenote prediction.

:USA 37 37 47 121 Drops 8 medals in total with 9 fewer silver medals being offset by 1 additional bronze. At 121, this is the lowest number of medals projected since the table was initiated.
:CHN 37 28 22 85 No change in the total number of medals but it does include 2 additional gold medals. 
:NED 17 9 13 39 An increase of 4 medals in total including 1 gold and 3 Bronze medals. Sees NED moving up to 4th in the table from 6th last month.
:GBR 16 24 25 65 Up 1 medal overall but total number of Gold drops by 1 which is offset by 2 additional Silver medals. 
:JPN 15 17 24 53 Drops 3 medals overall as few bronze medals are won. 2 Golds are downgraded to Silver.
:ITA 14 16 17 47 No change in the overall number of medals but team projected to win 1 additional Gold and 4 Silver.
:BRA 9 2 7 18 Small overall volume (would be ranked 13th by volume) moves into the top 10 by virtue of the fact that half of their projected medals are Gold
:AUS 8 21 17 46 The biggest shift in the projection this month - although the overall total is down just 2, It's 7 fewer Golds with 4 downgraded to Silver.  

Huge caveat here - I think it is safe to assume that the projection has been heavily impacted by the results of the Doha World Aquatic Championships hence the big drop in the :AUS Gold volume which is unlikely to be the case when we get to Paris. 

At the moment i think Brazil gonna win onle one or two Gold medals, our chance. We have a lot of good shots for medals, but no one of them (maybe surdina?) looks favourite for a Gold medal.

24 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

:CAN is only projected to finish with 4 golds and 20 total, but I’m assuming it’s also because of the inflated results of the Doha World Aquatic Championships. 

Edited by Josh

On 2/1/2024 at 1:41 AM, Rafa Maciel said:

Gracenote's gold medal projections for :NZL seem uncontroversial (although the keirin is always a bit of a lottery):

Men's Rugby 7's Team

Women's Rugby 7's Team

Women's Keirin: Ellesse Andrews

Canoe Sprint - Women's K1 500m: Lisa Carrington

I doubt the NZ Mens 7s team will be winning gold or even medalling. But I can however see Lisa Carrington contributing to 3 gold medals however.

3 minutes ago, Joshi said:

I doubt the NZ Mens 7s team will be winning gold or even medalling. But I can however see Lisa Carrington contributing to 3 gold medals however.

I'd be surprised if they didn't medal - they won 5 of the HSBC 7's events in the '22/'23 season (which I assume was the results used for Gracenote's prediction). Granted their form hasn't been as dominant this season, but they have still managed to medal in 2 out of the 5 rounds so far. 

51 minutes ago, LuizGuilherme said:

At the moment i think Brazil gonna win onle one or two Gold medals, our chance. We have a lot of good shots for medals, but no one of them (maybe surdina?) looks favourite for a Gold medal.

I agree but I hope for at least 4 gold medals, which would be better than the 3 of 2008/2012. No way we can repeat the 7 golds of 2016/2020.

Don't know what names/teams Gracenote is predicting for gold but maybe they were considering another one in Football which won't happen since the team didn't even qualify. Rebeca will only win a gold if Biles somehow fails in Vault. Isaquias, Ana Marcela, Martine/Kahena are not as regular as before and probably will contend for bronze. I guess Beach Volleyball/Surfing/Skateboarding are our best chances but nothing too sure. Maybe another surprising gold in Boxing or even Judo?

• 5 weeks later...

With the :GBR Swimming Champs done, I've got time to look at some of the reporting ahead of the Olympics as media outlets begin to consider medal prospects.

These are the predicted athletics medalists (track only) from Pulse Sports - a Kenyan media outlet. Please don't shoot the messenger - this isn't an endorsement of their prediction. I share it purely for information and discussion.

Men's 100m:

:USA Noah Lyles

:KEN Ferdinand Omanyala

:BOT Letsile Tebogo

Men's 200m:

:USA Noah Lyles

:BOT Letsile Tebogo

:GBR Zharnel Hughes

Men's 400m:

:BAH Steven Gardiner

:JAM Antonio Watson

:ZAM Muzala Samukonga