website statistics

Russian Athletes and Teams pathway to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

6 hours ago, Monzanator said:

USA will not boycott, NBC paid too much money to broadcast OG to have it without US athletes.

As for Poland, we could have a Civic Platform government in 2024 so whatever the current Minister of Sport says would be immediately rendered useless and it's not worth speculating on until the elections take place.

4 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Probably the main reason why USOC would not boycott.

The United States government does not have oversight over the USOPC.  Nor do they provide funding.  The USOPC changed their bylaws after 1980 so they wouldn't be forced into a boycott by the President.  It's their stated mission to send athletes to the Olympics.  So there is no shot of a boycott, yes in large part because they known the NBC money and the exposure that comes along with it is too big.  Besides, Jimmy Carter has said in hindsight it was a making to boycott 1980.  I can't imagine anyone would want a repeat of that for 2024.

8 hours ago, rybak said:

Its 99% sure that our NOC will boycott if Russian and Belarusian athletes will be allowed to compete in any way :(

I did read that every single sport federation will decide if let them to compete in Paris and Cortina or not. I guess most of federations will allow them, I'm afraid...

Same with Lithuania :( Two months ago every sport federation within the country signed joined statement to boycott any championships with Russian and Belarussian athletes until the war is over and yesterday's news brought open discussion and propaganda articles about boycott, basically almost confirming no Lithuania in Paris 2024.

We haven't even heard about a boycott at fencing events from Poland and the Baltic countries where the Russian participation is already confirmed. I think only the Ukrainian boycott is likely, and if Russians get the bare minimum of participation, like only 50 or so athletes in only individual events, I think even Ukraine will be willing to take that compromise and still go to the Games. At worst we will only see forfeit matches in combat sports like from Iran against Israel. 

Edited by Vektor

2 hours ago, Bearas said:

Same with Lithuania :( Two months ago every sport federation within the country signed joined statement to boycott any championships with Russian and Belarussian athletes until the war is over and yesterday's news brought open discussion and propaganda articles about boycott, basically almost confirming no Lithuania in Paris 2024.

I'll believe that when i see it

• 3 months later...

:RUS :BLR and :GUA will not receive formal invitation for the next year SOG.  IOC stated today

However, Obviously, the most important question in all of this is - yes, you got it ! Will RUS qualify in Ice Hockey for Cortina ? ;) and that sentence I took the liberty of highlighting in red, gives me some little minor hope we could possibly avoid the tricking qualifiers :whistle:

Will the Russian and Belarusian NOCs receive an invitation for the Olympic Games Paris 2024 when the invitations are sent on 26 July 2023?

The current IOC recommendations for International Federations and international sports event organisers on the participation of athletes with a Russian or Belarusian passport in international competitions do not concern the participation of athletes and their support personnel with a Russian or Belarusian passport at the Olympic Games Paris 2024 or the Olympic Winter Games Milano Cortina 2026. The IOC will take this decision at the appropriate time, at its full discretion, and without being bound by the results of previous Olympic qualification competitions.

The invitations to the 203 eligible NOCs will be sent on 26 July 2023. For the reasons given, this will exclude the NOCs of Russia and Belarus, plus the NOC of Guatemala, which is currently suspended.

2 hours ago, hckošice said:

:RUS :BLR and :GUA will not receive formal invitation for the next year SOG.  IOC stated today

However, Obviously, the most important question in all of this is - yes, you got it ! Will RUS qualify in Ice Hockey for Cortina ? ;) and that sentence I took the liberty of highlighting in red, gives me some little minor hope we could possibly avoid the tricking qualifiers :whistle:

Will the Russian and Belarusian NOCs receive an invitation for the Olympic Games Paris 2024 when the invitations are sent on 26 July 2023?

The current IOC recommendations for International Federations and international sports event organisers on the participation of athletes with a Russian or Belarusian passport in international competitions do not concern the participation of athletes and their support personnel with a Russian or Belarusian passport at the Olympic Games Paris 2024 or the Olympic Winter Games Milano Cortina 2026. The IOC will take this decision at the appropriate time, at its full discretion, and without being bound by the results of previous Olympic qualification competitions.

The invitations to the 203 eligible NOCs will be sent on 26 July 2023. For the reasons given, this will exclude the NOCs of Russia and Belarus, plus the NOC of Guatemala, which is currently suspended.

what will change for guatemala? under what name will he participate?

2 hours ago, hckošice said:

better start thinking of Switzerland 2026 :rolleyes: :yikes: :facepalm: :hairpull: :popcorn:

Latest rumors saying Russian are intending to organize their own Olympics sort of BRICS nations games and they already picked a date and venue for the games, 1 month before the Olympics in Paris and the games will be in Kazan. They apparently already also invited :BRA :CHN  :IND :RSA and some others. Yeah, all in all, once again, I really don´t mind, but hope they will do the same also in January/February 2026 :p

On 7/14/2023 at 3:18 PM, hckošice said:

Latest rumors saying Russian are intending to organize their own Olympics sort of BRICS nations games and they already picked a date and venue for the games, 1 month before the Olympics in Paris and the games will be in Kazan. They apparently already also invited :BRA :CHN  :IND :RSA and some others. Yeah, all in all, once again, I really don´t mind, but hope they will do the same also in January/February 2026 :p

It's very old rumour. Due to Olympics I doubt this will happen since I see them participating in at least 8 sports at the games. Having a Russia International Games in 2025 will be fun though