website statistics

Men's Baseball WBSC African/European Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019

phelps

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

No, because your ethnicity isn’t historically Jewish. You can’t hate a country for having near open borders like Israel. That’s something they’ve done that I actually like.

Though I imagine it still wouldn’t be too hard to be granted citizenship...

I don't. Just find it weird to think if for example the Netherlands has the same rules and I'd move to Brazil and build a life there, my great-great-great-great-great-greatgrandchildren could automatically become citizens even if there hasn't been any actual connection with the country for generations.

But sure, I guess they've got to get people somehow. I wonder how many athletes like this would for example be able to live a life there in terms of mastering the language and stuff like that. Surely to become a citizen of country X, one should at the very least pass some not so easy tests showing one has a decent knowledge of the main language in said country X..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, dcro said:

Yes, it is primarily about ethnicity, just like with Italian-Americans and Irish-Americans. But, like I already said, it always seems so easy for people to hate Israel. :rolleyes:

In general terms they are making it quite easy themselves for people to, let's say, not exactly be a fan of Israel as a whole, but that's entirely beyond this discussion and the thing with nationality :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, dcro said:

Yes, it is primarily about ethnicity, just like with Italian-Americans and Irish-Americans. But, like I already said, it always seems so easy for people to hate Israel. :rolleyes:

Well, Israel has made it easy for people to dislike them. Just to be clear on my position, I hate the Israeli right-wing government, not the people themselves.

I have no problem with naturalized athletes competing for other countries. My only problem is rich countries buying off talent for poorer countries. Otherwise there’s not much you can do. Plus, many people, like @heywoodu I believe, like individual athletes and not the flag they fly. I’ll admit that I mostly cheer for certain countries over athletes, but generally I support individual athletes too. 

These guys had a dream to go to the Olympics and they succeeded against what at first were thought to be better teams. I’m very happy for them.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Anyway, congratulations to the American-Israeli team, good luck for the Caribbean-Dutch team at the other OQT and too bad for the American-Italian team, better luck next time :p 

Just now, heywoodu said:

I don't. Just find it weird to think if for example the Netherlands has the same rules and I'd move to Brazil and build a life there, my great-great-great-great-great-greatgrandchildren could automatically become citizens even if there hasn't been any actual connection with the country for generations.

But sure, I guess they've got to get people somehow. I wonder how many athletes like this would for example be able to live a life there in terms of mastering the language and stuff like that. Surely to become a citizen of country X, one should at the very least pass some not so easy tests showing one has a decent knowledge of the main language in said country X..

Well most Jewish people have some understanding and knowledge of Hebrew because they have to if they read the Torah.

For those that don’t, like many Ukrainian Jews, Israel offers lessons on Israeli history, culture, and language in Ukraine before those people choose to immigrate. Vice News did a great 3-5 part series on the process that can be found on YouYube.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

These guys had a dream to go to the Olympics and they succeeded against what at first were thought to be better teams. I’m very happy for them.

Were they though? I mean, ever since the Americans took over the Israeli baseball team (or at least better Americans?) they have been rising very strongly and I don't think I'm the only one who saw them as a very, very serious threat for the spot :p 

Which is all just solely meant at the 'they were the underdogs' kind of thing, not saying it's not cool they had a dream and managed to get there :d 

Just now, heywoodu said:

Were they though? I mean, ever since the Americans took over the Israeli baseball team (or at least better Americans?) they have been rising very strongly and I don't think I'm the only one who saw them as a very, very serious threat for the spot :p 

Which is all just solely meant at the 'they were the underdogs' kind of thing, not saying it's not cool they had a dream and managed to get there :d 

Well they were only like 3rd-4th place at the European Championships I believe. They also won the 2nd tier championships just to get to those ones.

Well, Israel has made it easy for people to dislike them. Just to be clear on my position, I hate the Israeli right-wing government, not the people themselves.

I have no problem with naturalized athletes competing for other countries. My only problem is rich countries buying off talent for poorer countries. Otherwise there’s not much you can do. Plus, many people, like @heywoodu I believe, like individual athletes and not the flag they fly. I’ll admit that I mostly cheer for certain countries over athletes, but generally I support individual athletes too. 

Essentially, yes. Israel and Italy brought players of their own heritage. It's not like they were giving nationalities to literally anybody just to increase their chances. If their aim was just to have the strongest possible team, they would have ditched the heritage principle instantly (much like Qatar and Azerbaijan did)...

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT CARE WHO PLAYS.  I CARE THAT THE ISRAELI FLAG WILL BE ONE OF ONLY 6 IN THE OLYMPIC BASEBALL TOURNAMENT!!!!!!!!    

Now if only we can find a way to bring some of the jewish major leaguers.   

israel GIF