website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

23 minutes ago, avlar said:

The story is not so simple. Let me show the next example from wrestling - since we are in wrestling topic.

Translation of the text from the original article in russian. The story is from russian media 

"The Russian junior Greco-Roman wrestling team continues to prepare for the upcoming competitions. Currently the team is in Alushta at the Krymsky base, where they are preparing for the world championship, which will be held from August 14 to 20 in Poland."

https://www.crimeansport.ru/interview/13693/

Are they victims? Do they declare support to war? But they are clearly getting benefits from the outcomes and enjoying in training camp at the occupied Ukrainian territories. And the UWW allow them to compete. 

Would you allow them to compete too?

No, i wouldnt allow them.

I dont support them (Russia) in any way.

30 minutes ago, Adriano said:

What happened with Alina Hrushyna (UKR)? Why w/o? injury?

Yes, she is injured. This World Champ is very difficult for us. Before Tokio we got 4 quotas at the WCh in total. And then added 6 more. I hope we still be able to match the WCh result, but it will not be so easy.

2 hours ago, Adriano said:

they are not only sportmen? It is a good that you change your mind.

I didnt change my mind, i always thought the same.

But that doesnt mean that WHOLE nation should be blamed, that EVERY athlete should be punished. Not at all.

Why Isinbaeva should be punished (if she still would compete) when its more than obvious that she doesnt approve Russia? She even left Russia for Spain.

I dont prefer Russia in any sense over Ukraine. I am not a russophile but not a rusophobe either. I am not a xenophobe at all. I like every nation, more or less. I certainly dont hate no one.

Edited by Sindo

13 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Thank you, I know you've also said in the past that you are impressed with him :)

I'm glad he can make his first Olympics, and at 21 yo (he'll be 22 in Paris) he will surely be one of the youngest wrestlers there. Of course we also had Pilidis compete in Tokyo as a 21 yo and now he no longer competes in wrestling (though I have a feeling he will return to the sport one day), so I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

Also Kougioumtsidis until now was competing in 79 kg, and he wanted to move up to 86 kg to make the Olympics but our federation decided it was a better idea to have Kurugliev who is clearly not Greek, so Kougioumtsidis had to lose weight and go down to 74 kg, meanwhile Kurugliev is injured and still doesn't have Greek citizenship anyways...so I'm glad it worked out for him in the end because our federation should really be working to protect our best male wrestler instead of giving priority to foreigners. Maybe we wouldn't have to naturalise anyone if they start treating our own talents better...

indeed he was impressive before but to be honest I never expected him to perform like this one weight down. it's really tough to cut 5kg and stay strong. most wrestlers gas badly when they cut (like our 92kg here) but it was the opposite for Kougioumtsidis :d he won 3 of his matches in the last minute.

it didn't turn out to be a bad decision. Kurugliev (if he makes it to Paris) will be a medal favorite for sure. but 74kg is indeed much tougher than 86kg with lots of favorites. Kougioumtsidis had to go through a very hard draw, by beating Kadimagomedov and Salkazanov he really deserved the quota more than Bayramov (who is also a very good wrestler). he got lucky at the end with that singlet grab caution (which disqualified Bayramov with 3 cautions) but he deserved a bit of luck after beating those 2 guys.