website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

16 minutes ago, MHSN said:

this can be the biggest match of the tournament Dake vs Sidakov

interestingly they never wrestled until today, until right now

and the match indeed lived up to expectations, what a match :bowdown: and Sidakov won after a dramatic last second failed challenge. well technically not failed but still 2-2 wasn't enough for Dake. 

2 hours ago, avlar said:

It is just Karma )

I wonder if he will fight tpmorrow. It is great disappointment for your guy - he deserved this quota. And if UWW reallocates this quota they will not restore chances of the wrestlers who lost to this AIN in the 1/4 and earlier. That makes all the tournament quite unfair.

I don't think he will, he doesn't care about the quota , he can win it whenever he wants. I don't think he wrestles unless he is sure he can beat his archrival Snyder in the bronze medal match. he has a day to recover but knowing his mentality, I don't think so unless Russian coaches forces/begs him to do so. 

yeah that was bad luck for Goleij, he lost and also made Sadulaev very tired (eventually losing the next match)

but I'm not much worried about 74kg and 97kg quotas. not much competition in Asia in these weights. I believe we will qualify eventually one way or another but of course it's always better to finish the job here, at the World Championship. 

Edited by MHSN

what a dramatic win for  Kougioumtsidis :bowdown: coming back from being down 8-0

74kg quotas: :USA:RUS:SRB:JPN:GRE

@Makedonas congrats, to me he was the biggest surprise of this competition. 

Edited by MHSN

33 minutes ago, MHSN said:

what a dramatic win for  Kougioumtsidis :bowdown: coming back from being down 8-0

Can someone change Russian flag to AIN. There is no russian here

this is how R. Amouzad got robbed of a very probable gold medal. that's a very clear singlet grab by Musukaev before he scores the last takedown. it happened too fast maybe the ref didn't see it. Russian wrestlers have these dirty tricks and only very experienced refs can catch them cheating.

Amouzad has to blame himself for that stupid challenge in the first period (he insisted on it even when the coach said no) it was a very easy call if they still had the challenge option. 

I hope he mentally recovers and win the bronze/quota tomorrow. I believe he is still the #1 in the world in this weight. he just needs to be less dumb sometimes :d

Untitled.jpg

There could be a huge queue of top wrestlers trying to qualify from Asian qualifiers next year. 

Asian wrestlers qualified so far: 

57 Kg - only :JPN ( Rest of the 4 quotas were taken by European nations) 

65 Kg-  Yet to finish ( but 2 finalists are European, Perhaps :IRI &/ :JPN may get 1/2 of the other 3 quotas .

74 Kg- Again only :JPN ( 3 out of the  other 4 quotas were taken by Europeans & 1 by USA) 

86 Kg-  :IRI , :KAZ & :UZB ( 3 out of 5 quotas to asian countries)

This is the best weight in terms of results for Deepak Punia:IND  to get the quota in asian qualifiers. 

97 Kg- Yet to finish but most certainly will be only :BRN 

( 3 quotas are yet to be awarded & there is a :UZB wrestler in contention but he has next to no chance against Snyder or Sadulaev)

125 Kg- Only :IRI ( 3 of the other 4 quotas were taken by Europeans and 1 by USA) 

In summary , it will be tough to even qualify wrestlers from the asian qualifiers with only 2 quotas available. One bad drawn & there wont be any chance through repechage.:(

Edited by Roamingrover86

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

Thank you, I know you've also said in the past that you are impressed with him :)

I'm glad he can make his first Olympics, and at 21 yo (he'll be 22 in Paris) he will surely be one of the youngest wrestlers there. Of course we also had Pilidis compete in Tokyo as a 21 yo and now he no longer competes in wrestling (though I have a feeling he will return to the sport one day), so I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

Also Kougioumtsidis until now was competing in 79 kg, and he wanted to move up to 86 kg to make the Olympics but our federation decided it was a better idea to have Kurugliev who is clearly not Greek, so Kougioumtsidis had to lose weight and go down to 74 kg, meanwhile Kurugliev is injured and still doesn't have Greek citizenship anyways...so I'm glad it worked out for him in the end because our federation should really be working to protect our best male wrestler instead of giving priority to foreigners. Maybe we wouldn't have to naturalise anyone if they start treating our own talents better...