website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...

USA wrestling team for the Worlds 2023 (after their trials called "Final X")

Jordan Burroughs last year World Champ (one of all time bests) alongside last year silver medalists Thomas Gilman and Diakomihalis they all lost their trials and won't wrestle in Belgrade 2023.

57 kg – Zane Richards

61 kg – Vitali Arujau

65 kg – Nick Lee

70 kg – Zain Retherford

74 kg – Kyle Dake

79 kg – Chance Marsteller
86 kg – David Taylor

92 kg – Zahid Valencia

97 kg – Kyle Snyder

125 kg – Gable Steveson

50 kg – Sarah Hildebrandt

53 kg – Dominique Parrish

55 kg –Jacarra Winchester

59 kg –Jennifer Page

62 kg – Kayla Miracle

65 kg – Macey Kilty

68 kg – Emma Bruntil

72 kg – Amit Elor

76 kg – Adeline Gray

• 2 months later...

2023 World Championship entries in Greco-Roman

Russia (AIN) is entering a very weird squad! I don't even know half of these guys. :yikes: I wonder if their better guys are banned for supporting Putin (or something like that) or they simply decided to send a bunch of nobodies ? they still have Kabaloev, Semenov and Sargsian though.

https://uww.org/article/greco-roman-entries-released-2023-world-championships

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

Russia (AIN) is entering a very weird squad! I don't even know half of these guys. :yikes: I wonder if their better guys are banned for supporting Putin (or something like that) or they simply decided to send a bunch of nobodies ? they still have Kabaloev, Semenov and Sargsian though.

Do you think this is the final list? It’s still one month to go and usually the entry list is published much closer to the event. 

13 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

Do you think this is the final list? It’s still one month to go and usually the entry list is published much closer to the event. 

this list is surely not final but based on my experience, we will have some changes but not too much. probably 1 or 2 changes in each weight. and some countries entered two wrestlers in each weight (only 1 will wrestle obviously)

I follow some of the favorite teams (Iran, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Georgia) and I know this is their final list. JPN and USA entered two in each weight but I already know their final list.

and of course late injuries are always possible. we just had to make a change in the freestyle team today.

13 hours ago, MHSN said:

I don't know what kind of policy is following UWW, but if they are in line with the IOC demand, all those wrestlers enrolled in military clubs (CSKA, Dinamo and so on) or registered for clubs owned by some oligarcs sanctioned by the EU and/or UN are not eligible to participate in any international event :mumble:

32 minutes ago, phelps said:

I don't know what kind of policy is following UWW, but if they are in line with the IOC demand, all those wrestlers enrolled in military clubs (CSKA, Dinamo and so on) or registered for clubs owned by some oligarcs sanctioned by the EU and/or UN are not eligible to participate in any international event :mumble:

are clubs like CSKA and Dynamo even active in wrestling ? never heard of it :dunno:

Russia didn't publish anything about their Greco squad. but I followed the process of their freestyle trials. can't wait to see the entry list for freestyle. I wonder if this is the same team (those who won their trials) or they have to make changes

Edited by MHSN

According to the Official documents at the IOC website russia is not allowed to participate in the Wrestling World championships at all. They missed Continental Championships. 

https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/Documents/Olympic-Games/Paris-2024/Paris2024-QS-Wrestling.pdf?_ga=2.213026647.2129306878.1692809445-1143574300.1675126543

image.png

5 minutes ago, avlar said:

According to the Official documents at the IOC website russia is not allowed to participate in the Wrestling World championships at all. They missed Continental Championships. 

this is not new. that rule always existed (even in non-Olympic years you have to participate in continental champs to be eligible for the worlds) but UWW president had the power to bend it and he did it before. for example last year for Artur Aleksanyan. 

Don't count too much on this "rule" and there are RUS/BLR wrestlers on the start list already. UWW will certainly let them participate unless IOC intervenes and says something about it. not impossible but a bit unlikely IMO