website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

this is not new. that rule always existed (even in non-Olympic years you have to participate in continental champs to be eligible for the worlds) but UWW president had the power to bend it and he did it before. for example last year for Artur Aleksanyan. 

Don't count too much on this "rule" and there are RUS/BLR wrestlers on the start list already. UWW will certainly let them participate unless IOC intervenes and says something about it. not impossible but a bit unlikely IMO

Yes, but "Olympic year" makes the difference. Qualififcation procedures were officially approved by the IOC

https://uww.org/article/ioc-confirms-wrestlings-qualification-process?page=16

Thus UWW is not able to change the rules without the approval from the IOC. What is more, if UWW allows russians to participate under current IOC rules any athlete who will lost his/her Olympic quota to russian will be able to file the case to CAS. 

On 8/23/2023 at 11:34 AM, MHSN said:

are clubs like CSKA and Dynamo even active in wrestling ? never heard of it :dunno:

Russia didn't publish anything about their Greco squad. but I followed the process of their freestyle trials. can't wait to see the entry list for freestyle. I wonder if this is the same team (those who won their trials) or they have to make changes

yes, I can tell you that CSKA is surely active in Olympic Wrestling, I have no idea about Dynamo (but I think they also are there)

I'm also pretty sure that all the athletes from the traditional regions who are serving the mandatory military service, during those 18 months (or is it 2 years now? :mumble:) have to temporarily switch to those military clubs to continue their wrestling activity in that span (otherwise they would be enrolled in the regular troops, with all that means)

Freestyle entries

https://uww.org/article/freestyle-entries-released-2023-world-championships

and again no Russia :yikes: how come they were registered in Greco (with a weird team) but not in men's and women's freestyle ?

my guess ? their top guys got rejected by UWW and therefore they decided to boycott the event or something like that. (or maybe the list is just not complete and they will be added later )

3 hours ago, Roamingrover86 said:

:IND WFI is currently serving suspension due to not holding election on time. Our wrestlers will be allowed to participate under UWW flag but will they be eligible for olympic quotas ? As the quotas are assigned to NOC and not to players. 

I’m not sure about the rules in situations like this, but I imagine India will be fine given that your NOC remains unsuspended.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

from what I found out, Russia registered its wrestlers in freestyle too. they are not on the list because UWW still has to check them one by one for those "neutrality" criteria. 

this is the list Russia wants to send, I mean those who won their freestyle trials. not sure if UWW accepts all 10 of them.

57 Zavur Uguev

61 Abasgadzhi Magomedov

65 Shamil Mamedov

70 Evgeny Zherbaev

74 Zaurbek Sidakov

79 Akhmed Usmanov

86 Arslan Bagaev

92 Vladislav Valiev

97 Abdulrashid Sadulaev

125 Abdulla Kurbanov

Edited by MHSN

47 minutes ago, MHSN said:

from what I found out, Russia registered its wrestlers in freestyle too. they are not on the list because UWW still has to check them one by one for those "neutrality" criteria. 

this is the list Russia wants to send, I mean those who won their freestyle trials. not sure if UWW accepts all 10 of them.

57 Zavur Uguev

61 Abasgadzhi Magomedov

65 Shamil Mamedov

70 Evgeny Zherbaev

74 Zaurbek Sidakov

79 Akhmed Usmanov

86 Arslan Bagaev

92 Vladislav Valiev

97 Abdulrashid Sadulaev

125 Abdulla Kurbanov

These championships (alongside with rowing WCH) will be first direct qualification event where Russian and Belarusian athletes will be able to compete and qualify. Since IOC didn't invited those two countries and still their situation isn't sure, then the athletes can qualify to Paris, right? If, in later date, decision will be made and if IOC will not let them to compete then how their quotas can be reallocated? Do you know?

11 minutes ago, rybak said:

These championships (alongside with rowing WCH) will be first direct qualification event where Russian and Belarusian athletes will be able to compete and qualify. Since IOC didn't invited those two countries and still their situation isn't sure, then the athletes can qualify to Paris, right? If, in later date, decision will be made and if IOC will not let them to compete then how their quotas can be reallocated? Do you know?

most probably to the next wrestler in the standing, the loser of 5th place match. (this time only 5 quotas are available at the WCh for each weight, not 6) 

and if two AIN wrestlers finish in top 5 (both RUS and BLR) I assume the quota goes to the 7th place guy who will be determined by the classification points (which is based on pure luck) 

UWW keeps updating the links I posted earlier about the entries , if you check you can see some changes.

they removed Olympic Champion :USA Gable Steveson two days ago , it first it looked like a mistake but now it's confirmed that he withdrew from the competition. no reason announced yet. maybe the fake wrestling organization didn't want him to lose in a real wrestling competition. :dunno:

still no sign of Russian wrestlers in freestyle list but I heard from several sources that they are coming, apparently still negotiating with UWW about certain wrestlers to be allowed. and the competition starts in 10 days :facepalm: