website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Broadcasters

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's NBC who is calling the shots? Plus streaming will surpass regular TV within the next decade so it's the only way to go IMO.

IOC is way ahead of the curve, they know exactly where the money is coming from and it's not BBC.

I once watched athletics on BBC over Eurosport (Discovery) and it was unwatchable to neutral viewers due to the UK hype. Michael Johnson had to be the voice of reason and stop telling how Brits will win every single event which the other "experts" predicted :p

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

But it's NBC who is calling the shots? Plus streaming will surpass regular TV within the next decade so it's the only way to go IMO.

IOC is way ahead of the curve, they know exactly where the money is coming from and it's not BBC.

I once watched athletics on BBC over Eurosport (Discovery) and it was unwatchable to neutral viewers due to the UK hype. Michael Johnson had to be the voice of reason and stop telling how Brits will win every single event which the other "experts" predicted :p

NBC's viewership so far is awful.  Way down from Rio in 2016 for a variety of reasons.  Tough to figure how much of that is pandemic-related, but we won't know until Paris 2024 to see if they can bounce back.  They're locked in all the way through 2032

9 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

NBC's viewership so far is awful.  Way down from Rio in 2016 for a variety of reasons.  Tough to figure how much of that is pandemic-related, but we won't know until Paris 2024 to see if they can bounce back.  They're locked in all the way through 2032

That's what you get if you only decide to follow 5-6 top US names all the frickin' time. NBC might not realize it but at the Olympics people actually want to follow the Olympics, not the 5-6 top dogs for two weeks.

It's like regular US TV, they only talk about the Lakers, Yankees or Cowboys. While at the Olympics people want to see the damn NY Jets and Sacramento Kings too! :p

12 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

And it will be lower this week as prime time becomes even more repeats as the finals are mostly not in USA prime time. 

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

That's what you get if you only decide to follow 5-6 top US names all the frickin' time. NBC might not realize it but at the Olympics people actually want to follow the Olympics, not the 5-6 top dogs for two weeks.

It's like regular US TV, they only talk about the Lakers, Yankees or Cowboys. While at the Olympics people want to see the damn NY Jets and Sacramento Kings too! :p

LOL, you sound just like all the morons on social media whining "it's too hard to use the app, why can't NBC just put everything in primetime."  I've been following the entire Olympics.  Cable channels all providing tons of coverage.  Everything live in the app.  Too many people think the primetime show is the entire Olympics.  Sure they're going to focus on Americans.  Is that different than any other country?  No, people say they want to see the NY Jets of the Olympics, but do they really give a crap about the Jets?  I'm a Jets fan and I barely care about the Jets!

NBC treats the Olympics like a reality TV program because that's what the audience thinks of it.  That's not their fault that especially this time around, people just aren't into the Olympics.  

5 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

And it will be lower this week as prime time becomes even more repeats as the finals are mostly not in USA prime time. 

Pretty much.  Swimming and gymnastics are big draws.  Track and field, not so much.  And they haven't given a ton of coverage on the main network to beach volleyball, which is a shame because all 4 American teams are doing well

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

LOL, you sound just like all the morons on social media whining "it's too hard to use the app, why can't NBC just put everything in primetime."  I've been following the entire Olympics.  Cable channels all providing tons of coverage.  Everything live in the app.  Too many people think the primetime show is the entire Olympics.  Sure they're going to focus on Americans.  Is that different than any other country?  No, people say they want to see the NY Jets of the Olympics, but do they really give a crap about the Jets?  I'm a Jets fan and I barely care about the Jets!

NBC treats the Olympics like a reality TV program because that's what the audience thinks of it.  That's not their fault that especially this time around, people just aren't into the Olympics.  

I think ratings are down as well because Dressel and the other swimmers have failed to become breakout stars in the way Phelps have and athletics will do badly worldwide as there are no global stars to bring in the viewers.

6 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

But if NBC gives the audience what they want then the viewers drop makes no sense? Because that suggests NBC doesn't give the people what they want. Unless US people don't bother to watch SOG at 3am in the morning no matter what happens and in this case nothing will stop the ratings drop.

5 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I think ratings are down as well because Dressel and the other swimmers have failed to become breakout stars in the way Phelps have and athletics will do badly worldwide as there are no global stars to bring in the viewers.

Yeah, that makes sense too. Dressel/Ryan Murphy are no Phelps/Lochte. And Katie Ledecky is no Missy Franklin (who had one breakout Games and got more coverage in 12 months than Ledecky had as the best middle distance swimmer of the last 5 years). And now even Ledecky has underperformed.

This also suggests US audience cares about the big stars and doesn't really care about feel good stories of bland personalities. More LeBron James and less Tim Duncan :p