website statistics

National Sports of Countries

Olympian1010

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Oh well happens people think we Indians are crazy about hockey, in reality it isn't .

And yeah the ministry has clearly stated in 2020 that Hockey is NOT the national sport of the country . So as per the law India has no national sport not even a unofficial national sport. 

Hockey in India was historically a sport of English-style elite schools, like in rugby or indeed hockey in Argentina.  

Edited by Grassmarket

4 hours ago, Dunadan said:

There are more professional Lithuanian track and field athletes and rowers than basketball players? That's surprising

How many >2m tall Lithuanians can there be?  I’m presuming that like in :GBR the national basketball league is basically filled out with US college guys hanging on for the chance of an NBA contract.

On 3/10/2022 at 9:56 AM, hckošice said:

Yeah, as a person who lived in France for a while and met several French friends, I can safely say that in :FRA nothing can beat le foot :p followed distantly by Rugby (a sport they unsuccessfully tried for multiple ocassions to explain me and introduce to me :d) and les Barjots aka national men Handball team

Where in France were you? There is literally a line on the map you can draw between rugby country & football country.  And also another line between rugby union & rugby league (south-east corner, Toulouse to Perpignan). 

On 3/10/2022 at 11:06 AM, hckošice said:

Must be like the complete dutch and :IND / :PAK Embassy employees :p

You want to see the European Cricket League.  It’s flourishing with national & clubs teams from :CZE :GER :SUI :SWE…and 95% subcontinentals with a few Brits & Aussies.

22 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

How many >2m tall Lithuanians can there be?  I’m presuming that like in :GBR the national basketball league is basically filled out with US college guys hanging on for the chance of an NBA contract.

no way, 10 of the 11 teams have max 4 foreign players in their rosters (only exception is Zalgiris, but I'm not sure they can use all of their imported talents in the national league...some of them might be able to play only in the Euroleague)...

and a few of them are from other Eastern European Countries (mainly CRO)...

not only, most foreigners are guards...the "big men" in the middle are often locals (the rebounding ranking is the most homeboy-filled stat among the main ones)...

by the way, if you want to know something about LKL, this is their website (with a very useful English version)...

https://en.lkl.lt/

26 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Where in France were you? There is literally a line on the map you can draw between rugby country & football country.  And also another line between rugby union & rugby league (south-east corner, Toulouse to Perpignan). 

Mostly in Nimes :d

the paradise on earth, sun, very close of amazing beaches, sun, le foot la Maison Carree, sangria literally flowed down the street during the Féria and yeah, the sun

Ah, Nimes. How I miss you, the paradise on earth

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

And also another line between rugby union & rugby league (south-east corner, Toulouse to Perpignan). 

Not really, RL country is also RU country. You can't draw a line here like the M62 in England. (and it's also a very minor sport in our country unfortunately) 

In ARG...  

Football

>>>>

Basketball, Tennis, Auto Racing, Rugby, Boxing 

>>

Volleyball, Hockey, Handball, Futsal  

Polo, Athletics, Swimming   

Everything else is simply not on TV except for olympics/pan am games.  

This is strictly about popularity/TV ratings. If it's about participation numbers the scene changes a bit (for ex. Gymnastics has a good number of people that practice). 

There are also sports that are popular in particular regions or provinces.

Examples: Rink Hockey in San Juan, Cycling in the west/northwest in general, Softball in Entre Ríos, Ski in the south, etc.

As I mentioned in page 4 the official national sport is Pato, but it's virtually unknown among the general public and doesn't have any TV coverage.

4 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

WWE

An actual sports channel shows that? Sports channels here usually show only sports and/or documentaries (related to sports), but they never really show theater performances :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!