website statistics

Shooting at the European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Since I usually watch a bit of shooting only once every four years I am sure I am missing something, but here goes:

what's up with the entire gold medal match in the 50m rifle 3 positions being done in standing, which as far as I can count is one (1) position? They start at zero for the gold medal match, so after an entire three positions competition, it suddenly ends up with a one position final? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Since I usually watch a bit of shooting only once every four years I am sure I am missing something, but here goes:

what's up with the entire gold medal match in the 50m rifle 3 positions being done in standing, which as far as I can count is one (1) position? They start at zero for the gold medal match, so after an entire three positions competition, it suddenly ends up with a one position final? :p 

pretty normal

since a "televised final" was created (1992, if I remember well...maybe already in 1988 but I was too young to remember), it's always been a standing stint (it must be said that until 2012 the socalled final was just the last stint of a 120 + 10 shots competition with all shots counting for the final score).

then in 2016 (and 2021) new formats were used, not taking the qualification rounds into account for the final, which was contested with 3 stints in the 3 positions.

now there's this new format mixing it up the last 2, having the 1st part of the final with all the 3 positions and the GMM only in standing position (because it would be terribly anti-climatic for all the tv broadcasts having like 5 shots kneeling then a long interval before 5 more shots in prone position and the final 5 in standing -normally the intervals are 7 mins between kneeling and prone position and 9 mins between prone and standing).

9 hours ago, phelps said:

pretty normal

since a "televised final" was created (1992, if I remember well...maybe already in 1988 but I was too young to remember), it's always been a standing stint (it must be said that until 2012 the socalled final was just the last stint of a 120 + 10 shots competition with all shots counting for the final score).

then in 2016 (and 2021) new formats were used, not taking the qualification rounds into account for the final, which was contested with 3 stints in the 3 positions.

now there's this new format mixing it up the last 2, having the 1st part of the final with all the 3 positions and the GMM only in standing position (because it would be terribly anti-climatic for all the tv broadcasts having like 5 shots kneeling then a long interval before 5 more shots in prone position and the final 5 in standing -normally the intervals are 7 mins between kneeling and prone position and 9 mins between prone and standing).

Right. So you've got to be able to do prone and kneeling as a matter of survival to get into the 50m one position final :p 

To be fair, the whole thing is a bit anti-climactic for a TV broadcast, since you don't actually see anything happen at all (unlike the shooting in for example biathlon, where you can see the actual targets being hit and such, here you basically see a guy stand for a bit, then hear a click, and see a dot appear on a virtual target).

Well, I gave it a try, next up to watch is the skeet and trap and such I believe, which is a whole different cookie and actually shows action :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!