website statistics

Women's Softball WBSC African/European Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019

phelps

4 minutes ago, CCB said:

How do you mean "always award this kind of tournaments to the Dutch federation"? Last softball Olympic qualifier in 2007 was in Italy, and the baseball qualifier is in Italy as well ...

yeah, by lately we had quite a few tournaments held in the Netherlands (Baseball European Champs more than once, Baseball & Softball super-6 and more)...

and all of them had poor tv/streaming coverage...

I do really think they should not even take into consideration any bid from any Country if they can't have an established good quality media coverage...

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

I don't think the president has anything to do with it. It only makes sense to finish the tournament with a decisive match. :p

he has a lot to do with that (and also the fact that Italy is showing those matches live on their main pay-tv -Sky Italia, who are behind the tv/streaming production of the entire event- plays its role)...

the organizers had stated clearly before the tournament that NED would play always the last game any day under any circumstance...and I don't think they would change that if no word from the "high places" came to give them such kind of "advice"...

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

I don't think the president has anything to do with it. It only makes sense to finish the tournament with a decisive match. :p

p.s. tell that to IOC...:p

are you aware of the fact that men's basketball tournament in Tokyo will play the Gold Medal match hours before the Bronze medal match? :yikes::facepalm:

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

he has a lot to do with that (and also the fact that Italy is showing those matches live on their main pay-tv -Sky Italia, who are behind the tv/streaming production of the entire event- plays its role)...

the organizers had stated clearly before the tournament that NED would play always the last game any day under any circumstance...and I don't think they would change that if no word from the "high places" came to give them such kind of "advice"...

Since it was stated before the tournament, surely they expected to see the Dutch in the decisive match. ;)

It makes no sense to have them in "prime time" anymore. They literally can't win anything. If anything, they can get another unexpected defeat from the Czechs...

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Since it was stated before the tournament, surely they expected to see the Dutch in the decisive match. ;)

It makes no sense to have them in "prime time" anymore. They literally can't win anything. If anything, they can get another unexpected defeat from the Czechs...

decisive or not (obviously they expected to have ITA vs NED today afternoon), don't forget that they have sold a lot of tickets for a NED match at that time...;)

I know it's not fair, but most times only explicit tv/media requests can change things even if it would be a lot more logical to do that in any case...and this is one of those cases...

24 minutes ago, phelps said:

by the way, today's decisive match between ITA and GBR has been rescheduled for 3 p.m. CET as the last match of the tournament (and not at noon CET, as previously determined by the organizers...sometimes it helps having the world federation's president being from 1 of the 2 Countries involved in the key matchup :whistle::lol:)...

p.s. I discovered that the entire tv/streaming production is made by an Italian service (after explicit request by the WBSC president, Riccardo Fraccari)...if it was for the Dutch TV, no pictures from this tournament would have been available (so, why they always award this kind of tournaments to the Dutch federation?)...

Because nobody gives a crap about baseball and softball. I think most people even have no clue that men's baseball is Olympic and women have to make do with softball, which is mostly just a game children play at school every now and then :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, phelps said:

decisive or not (obviously they expected to have ITA vs NED today afternoon), don't forget that they have sold a lot of tickets for a NED match at that time...;)

I know it's not fair, but most times only explicit tv/media requests can change things even if it would be a lot more logical to do that in any case...and this is one of those cases...

They probably didn't sell "a lot" of tickets. And even if they did, those tickets would still be valid for an earlier program.

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, CCB said:

Hopefully Italy will win the quota, they are way better then GB for years, so it would feel unjustified when GB grabs the spot.

In which case why even bother to have a qualifying tournament? Why not just give Italy the spot at the Olympics. Surely its about the best current team qualifying whether its Italy or GB, not the best team from the past.