website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2019

vinipereira

3 hours ago, phelps said:

as I wrote, I don't see any chance for Quadarella either...if Ledecky is there and healthy...

and yes, I'm serious about the chance of not winning a single gold medal in swimming in Tokyo...it's not that even Paltrinieri's races are closed before the start, he does not have an advantage over the opponents like Peaty's...Wellbrock and Romanchuk showed that they are well capable of beating him (not this year...but in 12 months who knows who's going to be in perfect shape and who's not?)...

Pellegrini and Detti are just "chances", but they won't start as the main favourites in any case...

also, Burdisso can only hope to improve up to second (unless Milak misses out for any reason), but it's more realistic to think of him not even making the podium...

and girls like Carraro or Di Liddo (I put both on the same level, even if Di Liddo was actually only 4th, but just for a fraction) have been wonderful this year to take advantage of the general low level in their respective races, but they're lucky if they can make the final next year...

beyond that, I don't see any other medal chance (maybe the men's 4*100m free relay can think about Bronze, if Condorelli and Miressi get back to their best condition in Tokyo)...

so, yes...we could still win 2 or 3 gold medals, but also come back home with no gold...

we'll see in 12 months...

p.s. no real betting for me, thanks...only "predictions" for fun...

Given his 800 free time i consider Paltrinieri untouchable in the 1500 free, the world Record should Go down. I still think Wellbrock is the Most likely to Beat him next year, but Paltrinieri has a clear Headstart. Quadarella Could go 15:30 in the 1500 free next year, but if Ledecky is at her best, then it still should only be enough for Silver. I think Quadarella can Go around 8:12 Here and if she keeps improving at the same Rate she did the last couple of years, then she could go 8:08 or so next year, which could seriously trouble Ledecky. Burdisso could have a Shot at Bronze behind Milak and Urlando.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

15 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Given his 800 free time i consider Paltrinieri untouchable in the 1500 free, the world Record should Go down. I still think Wellbrock is the Most likely to Beat him next year, but Paltrinieri has a clear Headstart. Quadarella Could go 15:30 in the 1500 free next year, but if Ledecky is at her best, then it still should only be enough for Silver. I think Quadarella can Go around 8:12 Here and if she keeps improving at the same Rate she did the last couple of years, then she could go 8:08 or so next year, which could seriously trouble Ledecky. Burdisso could have a Shot at Bronze behind Milak and Urlando.

Yeah, that guy Urlando is very talented. Maybe not as Milak, but for sure he has big chance for silver in Tokyo. 1:53.84 for 17 yo boy is just wow.

Edited by dareza

4 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

No the quotas were given out based on the results from heats.

But you never know with the Dutch NOC ... sometimes they throw away quotas for no reason.

23 minutes ago, CCB said:

But you never know with the Dutch NOC ... sometimes they throw away quotas for no reason.

Looking at their qualifying document it says that no additional standard will need to be met for relays qualifying at the World Championships.

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Looking at their qualifying document it says that no additional standard will need to be met for relays qualifying at the World Championships.

Normally Dutch NOC has additional standards for all sports. 

There's another "problem": imagine that Toussaint (backstroke) is injured, Netherlands really no has another backstroke swimmer (male or female) at world level. That could still be a reason for Dutch NOC to withdraw the team. Dutch NOC is quite strict!

1 minute ago, CCB said:

Normally Dutch NOC has additional standards for all sports. 

There's another "problem": imagine that Toussaint (backstroke) is injured, Netherlands really no has another backstroke swimmer (male or female) at world level. That could still be a reason for Dutch NOC to withdraw the team. Dutch NOC is quite strict!

Well if you read the document it says there is no additional standard for relays qualifying at the World Championships.

Regardless, the relay belongs to the Netherlands until they officially decline, the DSQ should have no bearing on their choice.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think you're a bit optimistic about Quadarella's time over the 800m, I'm happy if she does 8.14 this week and just beat the 8.10 barrier next year...

and I expect Seto to swim 1.52 next year at home...so, it's gonna be hard for Burdisso to even take that bronze (but I do not exclude a 1.52 high even for him, so with a bit of luck...who knows?)...

p.s. there's always a chance (a very slim one, I fear) that Urlando switches to Italy if he can't get passed the US trials next year (he already has the Italian citizenship and he has never represented the US in a senior global event, so the 3 years rule by the IOC does not apply in his case, he can do whatever he wants until he gets 18)...

Edited by phelps