website statistics

Men's Volleyball FIVB Nations League 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 6 months later...

I heard some of you were worried about the lack of Polish fans at the European Games. But do not worry, I found them!

I had a great time at the Volleyball Nations League in Rotterdam today. The Polish fans sold out the stadium at :POL - :ITA and were 10x more present than the Dutch fans at :NED - :SRB. And some really great games as well! Sadlu the Dutch lost in the end.

59 minutes ago, hoversaBR said:

I'm really impressed with the quality of this tournament overall, lots of fantastic games.

Agreed! The Netherlands for example have played close five set games vs :ARG:POL:IRI:SRB already.

Week 2 done, not very happy with Canada's results/how they've been playing. They played two pre-tournament exhibition matches against powerhouse Brazil, and played really well to beat them in the first, before dropping the second. Gave me high hopes for them heading into VNL. But VNL has been disastrous for us so far, 2-6 and now our chance at Olympic qualification is starting to look unlikely. We played well against Cuba (Five-set win), Japan (Four-set loss), and France (Three-set loss) but other than that :hairpull: (Particularly our match against Germany's B team)

Sammelvuo needs to integrate more creative ways of offense in his coaching, it's mainly hard swings, and they're pretty error prone too. Also, we need to improve on side out, too many easy digs by our opponents. Currie is legit (Easily our best defensive player), Schwarz, Maar, Demyanenko, and Sclater have all been playing really well. Ever since Tokyo 2020, Hoag has proved time and time again why he shouldn't be a starter. Howe, Vernon-Evans, and Loeppky are all absent from the squad, probably choosing to sit this tournament out, as I can't imagine they wouldn't have been chosen. 

Edited by Josh

The mighty great USA rejected visa for almost half of the Iran volleyball NT players and almost the whole coaching staff. 

only 12 players (from the wide list, some of them wasn't really supposed to play) received visa +1 coach. half of the starters from the 2nd week are already heading back home, two more players + couple of coaches are still waiting in Frankfurt for a possible last second visa. 

that's great, isn't it ? 

this is happening over and over and nothing happens, law of the jungle 

PS: apparently FIVB won't count 3rd week results for Iran in the World Ranking. not sure if the same applies for the opposite teams (FRA/BUL/ARG/CUB) that's how they convinced Iran VF to send this incomplete team instead of the original decision of not going at all. (that's kind of damage control, Iran wasn't prepared for this VNL and could probably lose more ranking points)