website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest Discussion

1 hour ago, Sindo said:

That can be okay, but this would keep allowing users to publish the song immediately, and that would make it really hard for another user from the same nation to change the song, because that user would feel like he is complaining about the entry with the other user.

I would rather set two completely different periods in the TISC schedule: one for National Jury Registration and after this window close, there will be  one window for entries selection.

Right now we have:

(are the two bolded events the same? If so, you can use the same name for both)

My idea would be:

Dates are random and can be changed, but the point is no one can post the song before the national jury registration close. This would have two positive effects:

1) Songs would be published more or less in the same period, avoiding one song being published in February and one in April (this could be an advantage for the one published in February, because users would have more time to listen it).

2) Users from a nation already represented would be more motivated to join because they will take part in the national entry selection.

To give users who join first still a little advantage, you can say that if there is a jury with 2 or more users and it is really impossible to find an agreement to which song will be selected, the user who first registered in the contest will win the "tie-breaker".

Also, users who join the contest between March 21st and April 10th might still take part in the contest and in the voting process, but will have no word in deciding the national entry.

There used to be a case where we had registration period for a couple of weeks before the entry window opened (which still allowed registrations of course) but users clearly voted against that previously as we felt that momentum was being lost and that a long drawn out registration and selection period was resulting in more withdrawals as some users lost interest or other things took over their lives. I think the balance has been better since then and we have certainly had fewer withdrawals since that has been more streamlined.

I think there’s no need to over-complicate things. I do want to offer some protection to jury members from multi-member juries as currently a user from their nation could randomly show up in the first days and choose the song with no debate with their fellow jury members. And I don’t want to create too many rules or deadlines either. We need some balance. As usual it’s not always easy to find a 100% perfect solution but I definitely see some problem in the current set up.

2 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

There used to be a case where we had registration period for a couple of weeks before the entry window opened (which still allowed registrations of course) but users clearly voted against that previously as we felt that momentum was being lost and that a long drawn out registration and selection period was resulting in more withdrawals as some users lost interest or other things took over their lives. I think the balance has been better since then and we have certainly had fewer withdrawals since that has been more streamlined.

I think withdrawals were more related to the users being invited on the forum without being regular Totallympics users rather than lost of momentum (which of course may happen even to the most active Totallympics user, I'm not saying it's impossible).

I absolutely agree about the balance.  A first question might be, is it good for the TISC to have 35 nations represented instead of 25? Absolutely yes. But the question might also be, would be good for the TISC to have a user who post a song in February, then looses the "momentum" and doesn't follow the TISC at all, and maybe he even wins the contest? I think the answer is no. So loosing that user/nation for an edition because the user lost the momentum and would not publish the song in late March would not be THAT bad for the TISC, in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, Sindo said:

I think withdrawals were more related to the users being invited on the forum without being regular Totallympics users rather than lost of momentum (which of course may happen even to the most active Totallympics user, I'm not saying it's impossible).

I absolutely agree about the balance.  A first question might be, is it good for the TISC to have 35 nations represented instead of 25? Absolutely yes. But the question might also be, would be good for the TISC to have a user who post a song in February, then looses the "momentum" and doesn't follow the TISC at all, and maybe he even wins the contest? I think the answer is no. So loosing that user/nation for an edition because the user lost the momentum and would not publish the song in late March would not be THAT bad for the TISC, in my opinion.

From a personal point of view, I do lose some of the excitement also when the contest becomes more drawn out. And I think it’s just natural, you are more fatigued when it comes to the final. So I would be one of those members whose momentum is lost even though I wouldn’t miss a deadline. 

The basic structure we voted for in the past to counter this fatigue was to have a streamlined 2 weeks for registration / song selection; 2 weeks for voting; 2 weeks for the host to prepare the show.

And that’s not a strict structure, but a good guidance. Many times the host may need longer to prepare and I am always fine with that. I would rather give more time to allow them to prepare the voting templates and the final. So if we are going to add more time on to have a registration period and a selection period then we are looking at a very long event and from our collective experience I think it is more draining on everyone.

Some times like in this occasion, the selection period is extended for understandable reasons and I think we are generally ok with that.

I don’t know, I can’t speak for everyone though so would be happy to hear from anyone who wants to share their own views.

4 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

From a personal point of view, I do lose some of the excitement also when the contest becomes more drawn out. And I think it’s just natural, you are more fatigued when it comes to the final. So I would be one of those members whose momentum is lost even though I wouldn’t miss a deadline. 

The basic structure we voted for in the past to counter this fatigue was to have a streamlined 2 weeks for registration / song selection; 2 weeks for voting; 2 weeks for the host to prepare the show.

And that’s not a strict structure, but a good guidance. Many times the host may need longer to prepare and I am always fine with that. I would rather give more time to allow them to prepare the voting templates and the final. So if we are going to add more time on to have a registration period and a selection period then we are looking at a very long event and from our collective experience I think it is more draining on everyone.

Some times like in this occasion, the selection period is extended for understandable reasons and I think we are generally ok with that.

I don’t know, I can’t speak for everyone though so would be happy to hear from anyone who wants to share their own views.

Yeah, my proposals were more focused on the fairyness of the selection, without thinking of the counter-effects like fatigue, which of course you also have to consider.

But as I said, they were suggestions which are hopefully useful to you when you will have to update the rules/structure in the future :yes

• 5 months later...
42 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I have sent an invitation to @Hipooo to confirm if we will host the upcoming TISC Open 2022 edition in Czech Republic, the current TISC Open Champions.

We will wait to hear back for an update before confirming the next steps :) 

He is already working on it a couple of weeks as far as I know :)

7 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Great! Sounds like there is some Czechoslovakian co-operation going on behind the scenes then :) 

haha, no, nothing like that, will be a pure solo Czech edition :d

I just remember he once mentioned he started to work on some things for the next TISC edition in one our PM conversation some weeks ago, that s all :)