website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest Discussion

I have a question (or maybe a suggestion). Do the TISC rules say something about a situation where:

- The deadline to post the song is on Day 50

- User A from country X register on Day 1

- User A from country X publish the song on Day 10

- User B from country X joins the contest on Day 20, but he does not like country X entry and he would like to change it

What happens in a situation like this? Can the song be changed? If not, if User A is "scared" user B and user C from his same country X, he would publish the song as soon as he/she can so that the entry for that country is closed and the other users can still join the contest but without taking part in the song selection for their country :mumble:

If the rules do not say anything about that (if they do of course this message is totally useless :d ), maybe it would be better to add something on this?

4 hours ago, Sindo said:

What happens in a situation like this? Can the song be changed? If not, if User A is "scared" user B and user C from his same country X, he would publish the song as soon as he/she can so that the entry for that country is closed and the other users can still join the contest but without taking part in the song selection for their country :mumble:

Something like that happened to me in the recent past, and after that I didn't bother to participate anymore :)

4 hours ago, Sindo said:

I have a question (or maybe a suggestion). Do the TISC rules say something about a situation where:

- The deadline to post the song is on Day 50

- User A from country X register on Day 1

- User A from country X publish the song on Day 10

- User B from country X joins the contest on Day 20, but he does not like country X entry and he would like to change it

If the rules do not say anything about that (if they do of course this message is totally useless :d ), maybe it would be better to add something on this?

It's a fair point, and in honesty I should have had something like that in the rule book long ago. Sorry to hear about your issue @vinipereira, all I can say is that I will correct this issue starting from now and I am sorry that this happened :(

I haven't decided on the final wording yet but it could be along these lines:

In cases where 2 or more members from the same nation register to participate in the contest, they must work together by private message to agree upon the song and artist they wish to represent their nation in the contest.

If one of those members already chose the song and artist for their nation before the other members registered for the contest, the newly registered members have the right to re-visit the selection made for their nation. All members from that nation should work together to agree on the chosen representative. This must be completed before the official registration deadline. Any outstanding concerns can be brought to the attention of the organising committee by private message to seek a fair solution if needed.

For these reasons, it is recommended that users from nations that often have multiple jury members to give a reasonable amount of time to allow their fellow jury members to register, as a form of courtesy for their fellow jury members. This may help to avoid situations where there is a disagreement in the chosen representative and reduce the amount of occasions when the chosen song / artist needs to be changed.

4 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

It's a fair point, and in honesty I should have had something like that in the rule book long ago. Sorry to hear about your issue @vinipereira, all I can say is that I will correct this issue starting from now and I am sorry that this happened :(

It's not a big deal, really, I just didn't wanted to change the song already submitted, especially because I was the one late to the party :p

I actually did that last year for TAISC. I was new to this website and didn't really know, so I just picked the Greek song on my own without discussing it first with the other Greeks :lol:

That song got us our best result ever though, so I guess in the end I made the right choice :cool:

10 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

I haven't decided on the final wording yet but it could be along these lines:

That can be okay, but this would keep allowing users to publish the song immediately, and that would make it really hard for another user from the same nation to change the song, because that user would feel like he is complaining about the entry with the other user.

I would rather set two completely different periods in the TISC schedule: one for National Jury Registration and after this window close, there will be  one window for entries selection.

Right now we have:

February 20th

National Jury Registration and Entries Selection Window Open

April 10th

National Jury Registration and National Entries Window Closed

(are the two bolded events the same? If so, you can use the same name for both)

My idea would be:

February 20th

National Jury Registration open

March 20th

National Jury Registration close at 23:59

March 21st

Entries Selection Window open at 00:00

April 10th

Entries Selection Window close

Dates are random and can be changed, but the point is no one can post the song before the national jury registration close. This would have two positive effects:

1) Songs would be published more or less in the same period, avoiding one song being published in February and one in April (this could be an advantage for the one published in February, because users would have more time to listen it).

2) Users from a nation already represented would be more motivated to join because they will take part in the national entry selection.

To give users who join first still a little advantage, you can say that if there is a jury with 2 or more users and it is really impossible to find an agreement to which song will be selected, the user who first registered in the contest will win the "tie-breaker".

Also, users who join the contest between March 21st and April 10th might still take part in the contest and in the voting process, but will have no word in deciding the national entry.

The issue with that is you get two deadlines instead of one. Believe me you don't want that, users miss the deadlines all the time, it's hard as it is to keep the contest on schedule.

The best thing we could do is to not allow submissions on the first week. Here's the example with the two weeks window that we usually have (I have originally expanded it to three weeks this time because of the Winter Paralympics):

Sunday, February 20th

10:00 National Jury Registration Window Open

Sunday, February 27th

10:00 Entries Selection Window Open

Sunday, March 6th

23:59 National Jury Registration and Entries Selection Window Closed

There is no clear solution. More deadlines is not the way to go imo. Neither is having too many rules.

Also, not to be the devil's advocate, but this new rule can be abused. If a user from A nation thinks the song from B nation could win too easily, then they can invite other users from B nation in an attempt to overthrow their submission...

#banbestmen

30 minutes ago, Vektor said:

The issue with that is you get two deadlines instead of one. Believe me you don't want that, users miss the deadlines all the time, it's hard as it is to keep the contest on schedule.

Deadlines can also be seen as a sort of "natural selection" to keep only interested users into the competition :p I am totally okay with inviting users into the contest, but I have always been against running after users to take part just for the sake of increasing the number of users/nations represented. Sometimes this can cause users publishing a song and then never opening the thread again.

23 minutes ago, dcro said:

If a user from A nation thinks the song from B nation could win too easily, then they can invite other users from B nation in an attempt to overthrow their submission

But how can the user from A nation know which song the user from B nation would select, if the user has not published the song yet? Maybe he would publish a loosing song and by inviting more users from B nation a "stronger" song would be selected :d

Also, please read my posts on this as an external point of view/suggestions which may be useful for you guys for the future, not as an "admin strong advice" :lol: Of course you decide on this.