website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Wedding Traditions of your Nation

DaniSRB

the most important tradition of them all...ius primae noctis* :yikes::roflmao::rofl::lol::facepalm:

and of course I'm the Lord benefiting of that (but only in case of young and beautiful women)...:evil::whistle::pope:

*those who wrote wiki's article are just a bunch of jerks! it's "ius", with the normal "i", since it's a Latin expression and in the Latin alphabet the "j" doesn't even exists! :evil::facepalm::wall:

Most important tradition....If it’s not your wedding then get as drunk as one can so to black out as much of the whole thing as possible from memory. Try to come home in one piece and hopefully with your wallet and jacket (not that there will be any money left in either).

27 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

As for myself, most likely I'm gonna get married in a church , assuming my current girlfriend ends up being my wife, but that's just because for her that's important and I don't care so I'm fine with whatever she wants :p 

Does she really consider marrying you ? :d:lol:

kidding aside, people here including my own family usually have hard time understanding my love for this (this = following sport competitions, watching etc which takes most of my free time) and from what I see you have the same craziness as me. :d

1 minute ago, phelps said:

the most important tradition of them all...ius primae noctis* :yikes::roflmao::rofl::lol::facepalm:

and of course I'm the Lord benefiting of that (but only in case of young and beautiful women)...:evil::whistle::pope:

*those who wrote wiki's article are just a bunch of jerks! it's "ius", with the normal "i", since it's a Latin expression and in the Latin alphabet the "j" doesn't even exists! :evil::facepalm::wall:

This completely makes me think of dirty old men like (spoiler because Game of Thrones)

Spoiler

Walder Frey or Balon Greyjoy

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, MHSN said:

Does she really consider marrying you ? :d:lol:

kidding aside, people here including my own family usually have hard time understanding my love for this (this = following sport competitions, watching etc which takes most of my free time) and from what I see you have the same craziness as me. :d

Yeah, but so does she, sort of :d Maybe not in the extreme way of you and me, but if at all possible, she'd definitely stay home for the Olympics or regular competitions in sports like biathlon, among others :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

This is a not so much exaggerated version of what happens in a Southern Italy wedding in the worst moment ever: half August. Unluckily there is no English translation of the written part, but give it a look.

Brief summary:

1) invitation to wedding in half august;

2) the "promise of wedding" celebration;

3) bachelor parties;

4) serenade with neomelodic songs ( :sick:);

5) the hours before the celebration;

6) the celebration;

7) going to the restaurant where you'll eat for 4-8 hours;

8) wait for newlyweds to come to restaurant while they take pictures (:crazy:);

9) give the present to the newlyweds (the so called "busta", literally envelope, that is gift money to people);

10) staying at restaurant with people wishing to dance, sing etc...;

11) get your bonbonierre;

12) coveted end, for invited people;

13) other things regarding newlyweds, but this is in my opinion the most exaggerated part.

Edited by AlFHg

1 hour ago, DaniSRB said:

I though it would be interesting to compare wedding traditions of our nations. How much of traditional customs is kept and what disappeared? Feel free to join discussion

well, our weddings are not particularly different, maybe the traditional kidnapping of the bride perhaps is not so usual abroad  http://distinctexperiences.com/sk/slovakian-wedding/

a kidnapping of the bride

Just now, heywoodu said:

Yeah, but so does she, sort of :d Maybe not in the extreme way of you and me, but if at all possible, she'd definitely stay home for the Olympics or regular competitions in sports like biathlon, among others :p 

then you are  lucky to have her :p

staying at home for the big events is a must thing for me. but sometimes that's hard. for example during the Rio Olympics, for some reasons I could not take personal days for the first week (except one day, not sure it was either Sunday or Saturday). but the work time in Iran is midnight in Brazil, and the last competitions (usually volleyball/basketball) was finishing 6-7 in the morning here and I had to go to work almost without sleeping. doing that for 3-4 days I was like a zombie on Wednesday. (Wednesday here is like your Friday) :d and when I met my mom that day, her reaction was "you are the craziest stupidest person I ever know"

Regarding the main topic of "wedding" I don't know where to start, the whole thing is completely different here and even each region has its own tradition and people are also different, depends on how religious they are. even though nowadays tradition is getting weaker and weaker and people usually just do what they want.

but nobody brings cake :d that's the host's duty. obviously no church :d (and of course no mosque)