website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Wedding Traditions of your Nation

DaniSRB

15 minutes ago, hckosice said:

well, the man has to go look for her and find her, I guess it is supposed to show how big the chemistry between them will be during the marriage, if the man is able to find his wife quickly, don´t ask me why we have such tradition :lol:

here is tradition that some of small kids from bride's side "steal" it's shoe and groom's guests pay some money (symbolic :D) to return it :D

We also have this stuff in Java called janur kuning, a slightly curved "sign" made of palm leaves with names of the bride and the groom hanging on it. It is usually put at the nearest intersection of the wedding location.

People often jokingly said "as long the janur is not erected, you still have the chance (to snatch or marry someone's fiancee)"

janur.jpg

4 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

here is tradition that some of small kids from bride's side "steal" it's shoe and groom's guests pay some money (symbolic :D) to return it :D

haha nice :d

well, the thing about the bride is nowadays just traditional meaning, you know, the bride is kidnapped but only somewhere to the closer places from the wedding party place like the nearest pub or so, so generally the groom will easily find her, it doesn´t took a lot of times :d

Just now, hckosice said:

haha nice :d

well, the thing about the bride is nowadays just traditional meaning, you know, the bride is kidnapped but only somewhere to the closer places from the wedding party place like the nearest pub or so, so generally the groom will easily find her, it doesn´t took a lot of times :d

yes, however is nice to keep tradition :d

• 2 months later...

@DaniSRB Just arrived from my cousin´s wedding and I have to appologize because I forget last time to introduce you one typical "east"slovak wedding tradition. the bonnet ceremony

It´s called "redový tanec" you can google it and watch some videos. It is in fact the last big thing of the wedding, peoples usually should wait for it and only after they can go home (like me tonight lol). It happen right few minutes before or after midnight.

The invited guests form a circle around the bride and dance with her one by one (or by small groups) after other, THE THING is that for this dance they have to pay her (and it´s really something, usually 50 or even 100 EURO are thrown to the prepared hat, plate or cup) until the song finish. During this time the men will forcefully prevent the groom from reaching the bride until all the guests have had their turn and it ends with the bride and groom dancing together at the end of the song, then the groom lift up his new wife in sign to show to everyone that from this moment she is only his wife.and both take the money collected, it's essentially their first money together as the newlyweds.

here video how it looks