website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2023

rybak

I wouldn't be surprised if next year the jury voting will be reduced to 33% instead of the current 50-50 split. It's bad for the contest when such a huge televote favorite loses and it's also bad when the jury voting makes the entire voting procedure quite boring. 

BBC now saying that Mae Muller did so badly because she was last in the running order and apparently there were sound problems. Totally ignoring the fact that the jury votes are based on the previous day's rehearsal performance. 

Let's just face it - it was an instantly forgettable song by an instantly forgettable artist. 

BBC thought they could recreate last year's success but it's like sleeping with twins - the second one is never lives up to hype of the first :(

2 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

In all these years have never seen Totallympics members happy about a winner :p

Have you ever seen Totallympics members happy? :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Vektor said:

I wouldn't be surprised if next year the jury voting will be reduced to 33% instead of the current 50-50 split. It's bad for the contest when such a huge televote favorite loses and it's also bad when the jury voting makes the entire voting procedure quite boring. 

People need to decide if the real villain is the jury vote or the public vote - and not just pick the one where their favourite entry did worse :evil:

Let's all remember that last year some people were pissed that Ukraine got 400+ points from the televoting.

I'm so glad :SWE won:

1) Best song this year

2) It wasn't an old man in a diaper

3) Now that Loreen also have two victories, we won't have to see Johnny Logan every year in Eurovision history recaps!!!!

4) Now that Sweden have 7 victories, we won't have to see all Irish winner every year in Eurovision history recaps!!! (additional bonus: no more jokes that Logan won thrice, out of which one was in drag (1992))

19 minutes ago, Agger said:

The ESC is certainly an impressive thing... 

Nobody cares for it (well, we're a small minority who do), still ends up watching and gets pissed by the result more or less no matter what.

I take my dad as an example: every year I heard about how this or that act is 'weird' or a bit of a 'freak show', but in the end every single year the TV is tuned on to the final for most if not the entire duration of the final including the announcement of the winner at 1am :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

People need to decide if the real villain is the jury vote or the public vote - and not just pick the one where their favourite entry did worse :evil:

Let's all remember that last year some people were pissed that Ukraine got 400+ points from the televoting.

I'm in favour of keeping it 50-50, but the only change being in the announcement process. So back to the thing where all countries announce their 12-1 points (which combines jury + televotes) and that's it. It creates less artificial tension.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, vinipereira said:

I mean, people can be pissed, but Ukraine was no doubt The Winner that year. Clearly by far the most popular song. This time Cha Cha Cha was by far the most beloved song, it was and should have been the winner by all accounts. 

This isn't like when Russia lost in 2016. Ukraine wasn't that much far behind them in the televote (38 points). Netherlands was also only 30 points behind Norway in the 2019 televote. 

The only time the winner was this much behind the televote winner is 2015. Yes, Sweden again. 87 points behind Italy in the televote. And now more than 100 points behind Finland.

And this kinda sucks. Italy should have won in 2015 and now Finland should have won in 2023. Sweden got two wins that don't feel earned, they were too much behind in the televote.