website statistics

Track Cycling UCI World Championships 2022

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Good to see more competition but it's a tough event to medal in.

Definitely not planning any medals. Lithuania has strong traditions in track cycling, especially in the women's field.

With all of the legends retiring, I'm just glad that we can still be seen and be somewhat competitive from time to time.

After Krupeckaitė's retirement, the women's team sprint team fell apart, so it's good to see that our coach (Simona's husband) decided to form a men's team as we didn't have enough competitive women to field a team on the women's side. 

14 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Definitely not planning any medals. Lithuania has strong traditions in track cycling, especially in the women's field.

With all of the legends retiring, I'm just glad that we can still be seen and be somewhat competitive from time to time.

After Krupeckaitė's retirement, the women's team sprint team fell apart, so it's good to see that our coach (Simona's husband) decided to form a men's team as we didn't have enough competitive women to field a team on the women's side. 

How many indoor velodromes does Lithuania have?

18 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Krupeckaitė was a terrific cyclist. Saw a lot of her over her very long career.

Edited by Nickyc707

24 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Not to forget the increase of women's team sprint size from two to three riders following the Tokyo Olympics. Such rule change was always going to hurt smaller teams like Lithuania more than anyone else.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Not to forget the increase of women's team sprint size from two to three riders following the Tokyo Olympics. Such rule change was always going to hurt smaller teams like Lithuania more than anyone else.

They were practising with Baleišytė as their third, so we would've managed if only Simona was younger :/ 

1 hour ago, dcro said:

I guess that's an argument in favour of mixed events in some sports, although it's not realistic in cycling.

9 hours ago, Werloc said:

Chmm, 13th place for our very rookie Lithuanian men's sprint team is fairly okay. 

The very first time for Lithuanian men in a team event on a World Championship stage, previously only started in the European Championships once.

Lots and lots of work left to be done if they want to contend for the Olympics, but I wouldn't completely write them off just yet. 

Correction, first men's sprint team in WCh...

Back in early 00s Lithuania had very competitive men's pursuit team and even competed at 1996 and 2004 Olympics and finished in top 8 in World championships on multiple occasions. They trained in Klaipėda velodrome, but then some scandals surrounding selection for Olympic squad favoring some less known cyclists who happened to be children of officials working in cycling federation and the A team quit the track cycling.

Edit: sorry, just realized that you meant that's its very first WCh for that team specifically... :facepalm: :d

Edited by Bearas

5 hours ago, Bearas said:

Correction, first men's sprint team in WCh...

Back in early 00s Lithuania had very competitive men's pursuit team and even competed at 1996 and 2004 Olympics and finished in top 8 in World championships on multiple occasions. They trained in Klaipėda velodrome, but then some scandals surrounding selection for Olympic squad favoring some less known cyclists who happened to be children of officials working in cycling federation and the A team quit the track cycling.

Edit: sorry, just realized that you meant that's its very first WCh for that team specifically... :facepalm: :d

Oh, I'm actually thankful for the history lesson, especially with the nepotism part, it's good to know and remember that such things happened. I'm not extremely familiar with our sport pre-2004 and earlier, so the fact that we had a competitive men's pursuit team is actually news to me, I just always thought it was mostly women like Krupeckaitė, Sereikaitė and some lone men on the side, like Bagdonas, that used to start in track occasionally.