website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019

Wumo

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Every event in swimming after the 100m events are redundant. Team events in Archery and Judo and Table Tennis are redundant. Doubles in Table Tennis, Badminton, and Tennis are redundant. The 200m is redundant.

What the hell are you talking about? :dunno:

Yeah, team event in judo is completely useless. Just another gold for Japan without breaking sweat.

Just now, Grassmarket said:

It is politIcal correctness from the IOC. All of a sudden there must be mixed team events in all sports. Some work well, others are just boring. 

That's it. And if it works well I would be totally behind it. But this one is just pointless... we already have a men's and women's 4x400m... adding a mixed event in the same distance adds nothing new. If you are going to add it then you have to remove the two specific gender events to make it have some sense, but that would be worse :d

Just now, Monzanator said:

I suggest you watch short track if you want to see mass starts. In speed skating it's just boring as hell. Nothing happens until the last lap. FIS wrecked the cross country with 50km mass starts which are downright horrible and mass starts in speed skating are equally repulsive tbh.

Except they are truly different events and add to the program. The Mass Start does need to be reworked a bit though I admit. Cross Country Mass Start is awesome.

I hate the disrespect distance athletes (like myself) get on a constant basis.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Monzanator said:

110m & 400m hurdles are the BEST track events for me by a country mile. You need both speed & technique and also stamina.

That's great!  That's my point.  All these events are for entertainment.  Mixed relays, in swimming anyway (first time seeing it here in athletics) add a layer of strategy to the event that I find interesting.  

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Except they are truly different events and add to the program. The Mass Start does need to be reworked a bit though I admit. Cross Country Mass Start is awesome.

I hate the disrespect distance athletes (like myself) get on a constant basis.

The 1st gold for USA , you pay 1 pizza 

Just now, dcro said:

But where is the innovation in the mixed 4x400m relay?? It's redundant, and in that case already established events clearly have more value.

Plus, top 400m runners are usually busy enough even without this addition...

Yeah, just like in alpine skiing team event, back-ups and people without a chance for individual medal actually make the team. Just check some of the :AUT and :SUI line-ups. Even Marcel Hirscher didn't bother to show up for the team event to win an easy medal :lol:

Just now, dcro said:

But where is the innovation in the mixed 4x400m relay?? It's redundant, and in that case already established events clearly have more value.

Plus, top 400m runners are usually busy enough even without this addition...

The innovation is the strategic options. It also forces countries to be good in both genders. Plus, we still need all the basic requirements of running a good 400m

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela