website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2024

Totallympics

:USA will play in the men’s ice hockey (6-on-6) tournament.

Any idea on which NOCs will be entered into the four events @hckošice? We already know the rankings, but do we know which events each NOC chose?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

50 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

How did qualifying for this work? Because no way Canada only would have one single quota and Portugal would have four when based on quality of the athletes :d 

The first few quotas were awarded at the world juniors (Canada earned its quota here). The rest were awarded based on the two world junior cups this season (which Canada did not compete in).

18 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Any idea on which NOCs will be entered into the four events @hckošice? We already know the rankings, but do we know which events each NOC chose?

Canada chose the boys hockey team. Australia is the women's 3x3 event.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

No idea yet. But I guess the all Top 5 would pick Boys Tournament, but, really no idea yet at all. I heard somewhere we will send very likely the Girls team, but please do not take it as certitude.

I Will inform you once it will be determined officially

10 hours ago, intoronto said:

The first few quotas were awarded at the world juniors (Canada earned its quota here). The rest were awarded based on the two world junior cups this season (which Canada did not compete in).

Right. Well, that sucks, although I guess Canada doesn't want it's athletes competing internationally yet then, because if they did, obviously they'd have gotten the quotas :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, hckošice said:

No idea yet. But I guess the all Top 5 would pick Boys Tournament, but, really no idea yet at all. I heard somewhere we will send very likely the Girls team, but please do not take it as certitude.

I Will inform you once it will be determined officially

NOC's have to choose whether to enter the boys' or girls' tournament instead of both if they qualified in both? :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

NOC's have to choose whether to enter the boys' or girls' tournament instead of both if they qualified in both? :yikes: 

Yes, it was also like that four years ago.

It actually created some interesting dynamics (in terms of entries). :SWE was the only NOC ranked in the top five to field a women’s team. Meanwhile, :DEN had to field a men’s team after the NOCs ranked 6-10 all choose women’s teams to avoid the top nations and increase their medal chances. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, it was also like that four years ago.

It actually created some interesting dynamics (in terms of entries). :SWE was the only NOC ranked in the top five to field a women’s team. Meanwhile, :DEN had to field a men’s team after the NOCs ranked 6-10 all choose women’s teams to avoid the top nations and increase their medal chances. 

Well, that is...something :p 

Kinda sucks that you may be the best team in the world, but not even have a chance to play at the YOG because the other gender's team is also the best in the world and your NOC picked that one...

Interesting most of the snow sports will be staying in Gangneung

Final FS quotas: https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/32734-isu-communication-2605/file

Only 4 entries in the pairs event and 5 in the team event.